-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
This is not a question for the gunwriters but a statement that in my opinion, "The Life of The Hunt" is an excellent book. Mr Barsness is a wonderful woodsman and hunter as well as a "rifle looney" It is a pleasure to read stories from a person who has an obvious love and respect for the land and animal he hunts. Looking forward to reading his "Born to Hunt as Well"

If it doesn't have fin, fur, feathers or go bang, I just ain't interested.
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Born to Hunt is excellent as well. My non-hunting sister thinks they should be required reading for non-hunters and anti hunters as John puts a rational and respectful slant to it all.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Yep both great books, I think JB's the best hunting/rifle writer of our time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think JB is the best hunting/rifle writer of ANY time.

His experience level is extensive and his conclusions are based on relevant facts, not conjecture. And because he writes so well, his work is eminently readable

Just finished reading Jack O'Connor's "The Rifle Book" revised edition, for the third or fourth time. It is excellent, but JB's books are better.

I think that both of JB's parents were teachers, and he has inherited the skill of being able to clearly communicate, along with using the scientific method before drawing conclusions.

And we are damned lucky to have him here at the Fire.

Thanks, JB.

Steve

Last edited by 7x57STEVE; 02/09/14.
E
E77 Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
I ordered Obsessions of a Rifle Loony about a month ago and enjoyed it very much. My next purchase will be the Born to Hunt / Life of the Hunt Combo package.

I think John Barsness is a great writer. I'm glad he chooses to write about guns and hunting.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks very much, guys.

Am working hard on the new optics book, hoping to have it out this fall. Some interesting stuff has taken place since the last one, published 15 years ago!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
our copy of rifle looney is very well worn.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
Born to Hunt is excellent as well. My non-hunting sister thinks they should be required reading for non-hunters and anti hunters as John puts a rational and respectful slant to it all.

ingwe;
Good morning to you sir, I'm hoping you folks are either indoors or keeping warm enough on purpose outdoors today.

We're heading up for our gun club's 62nd annual California Bighorn Sheep Count in an hour, so I've piled the wool layers on already in preparation.

I agree with your sister and have recommended JB's books - The Life of the Hunt and Born to Hunt in our Hunter Safety class as almost required reading.

Without sounding like I'm trying to blow smoke up anyone's kilt, I'd rank The Life of the Hunt right up there with Jose Ortega y. Gasset's Meditations on Huntingas far as a meaningful treatise as to what drives some of us afield with a pull that makes a spawning salmon seem unfocused in comparison.

The Slice of the Wild could be mandatory reading as well for hunters that want to eat what they shoot and have it taste good. wink

Anyway ingwe, for whatever it's worth to any reading out there, I've managed to get my hands on all of John's hunting books, some of the Outdoor Life compilations with his works in them and both of Eileen's most excellent game processing cook books - sausage book is the second - and can heartily and unreservedly recommend them to anyone who'd like to know about the many facets of the hunting lifestyle.

All the best to you and yours this Sunday ingwe.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

330 members (219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 204guy, 45 invisible), 2,549 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,844
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.