Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by savage62
I was at the range an a guy next to me was shooting blackhorm an I was shooting 3-7 3fff an 90 gr 2 one inch groups .His first 3 shot didn't soung good never hit the target next 2 loads were a solad 12 inch apart but not much of a bang He said new gun new powder new 209 cci an I said try these 2load withe hots an 240 gr, 44 bullets less then a inch apart . Said no more horn for me I said never try it don't want to

Hard to understand your post, but sounds like you don't like BH 209. Can't tell from your post if you have actually used it or not? Just because the guy next to you wasn't getting results is no reason to say it was the powder. In fact, it probably wasn't. What gun, bullet and primer was he using? You have to use a proper breechplug/gun style with a magmum type 209 primer and a fairly tight fitting bullet.

BH 209 can be an extremely accurate powder. It is also nice that you don't have to clean it right away too. I have a gun I shot over a month ago and have yet to clean it, but am not worried. The only downsides that I see are the price and the fact that every gun/breechplug won't shoot it.

Venor ergo sum
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I agree with txhunter58 on that statement. There are too many variables going in on that. Glad he got 2 shots close, now he still needs to make up a load and get consistent groups well that is another obstacle. Further, typing skills aren't that great so better lay off the moonshine.

I'll take a good look at the bolt face/head space tonight and see it I can figure out how the primer is buttoning out. I went down to the hardware store to buy some 4.5mm X 1mm O-rings but they don't carry them. I was looking at MaCaster but I really don't want 100....LOL....I know the Federal 209A is slightly longer in diameter then the CCI 209M so I'll take both with me, and I think I have some regular Winchester 209's as well.

Just seems the way the primers body are blowing out it's simply not holding up to the back pressure being generated whereas I don't have that issue with the tighter compressed loads. Maybe I just had the breech plug tightened too far down somehow.

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
check this video out of me shooting bh209 on a heavily fouled plug VS clean plug.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7Z3bJ849pc&feature=youtu.be

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
That's a lot of carbon and some damn fine shoot'in, you�re clearly doing your part.

I clean mine out every time I shoot. I pull the BP then remove the vent liner and do a full out clean job, and then finger drill bit the vent liner. I don't really like the shape of a vent liner and have some ideas to flatten it out some to offset the pressure back into the charge to try.

On another note, those AeroLite 300 gainers flew very well. Is there a specific reason you choose the 300's over the 338 grain? I say this because PB claims a -22.29" drop on 100 grains in a 27" barrel using 300 gainers, yet using the 338's only loose -19.74 and retain 271 lt lbs more kinetic energy. That�s quite a bit to give up?

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
For primer length fed 209 or .2977 , cci 209m or .2989 and win 209 or .302 and yes if you have blow back your not getting full charge of the primer to the powder and you may not be burning all of it so you need to do your head spacing. and also make sure you remove all the oil out of the bore and breech plug before you shoot this will help your powder from get oil on it from seating in the gun. oil and powder do not mix.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
No I don't shoot the stuff .An yes it was the powder .His gun was a new Knight Disk rifle . Powder ,rifle, scope, an primmer,red disks were all new . When I gave him 2 loads of 3ffg triple 7 an green sabot with 44 mag 240 gr bullet gun went off 2 times no problems . An great group down range . I am not saying bad about BK209 just saying what happend

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
most likely was not the correct plug for the knight, theres a stem plug and one thats concave.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
No I don't shoot the stuff .An yes it was the powder .His gun was a new Knight Disk rifle . Powder ,rifle, scope, an primmer,red disks were all new . When I gave him 2 loads of 3ffg triple 7 an green sabot with 44 mag 240 gr bullet gun went off 2 times no problems . An great group down range . I am not saying bad about BK209 just saying what happend

As bigblock states, it was the breechplug set up, not the powder that failed to ignite the BH 209 powder. If you will do some research, you will see that BH is picky in what will set it off, and the standard "brand new Knight Disk rifle" is not the right set up.

I have a bare primer breechplug designed by Lehigh with a vent liner in my Knight LRH. Knight now sells this as an accessory specifically to shoot BH 209. It does not come with the standard gun. My gun had the EXACT same set up as his gun before I replaced the breechplug AND the bolt so it would work well with BH 209. I am basically shooting the same rifle with the correct breech ignittion system and it works flawlessly.

So, no, it was not the powder that failed. Used properly, it is darn hard to beat as an all around blackpowder sub powder. And finding the right set up to get it to ignite properly is the biggest obstical to making it a "go to" powder. If he is interested in trying it again, he should call knight and tell them he want to use BH and they will get him what he needs.

Venor ergo sum
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
This is atleast the 2nd time ive seen Savage62 tell someone to avoid BH209 even though he has ZERO experience shooting it. Forming an opinion based on "some guy's" experience at the range (one time) with a few unknown variables is pretty silly.

BTW my 7 Knights (DISC based) have been flawless with BH209 and the bare primer breach plugs designed by Lehigh with a standard Win209. My Savages have been flawless with Fed209As. My custom build has been 100% dependable with either CCI primer. Ive gone through over 15 bottles since it became available.

Last edited by Overkill45; 02/07/14.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Overkill45 Belive what u want od me don't care I said I never use the stuff an don't care to . Never said i didn't care for the stuff .I don't A guy next to me did not like it because of his experence Like Hillary says WHO CARES

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Most people who have used it correctly care. And when you say it was the powders fault and you are incorrect, those that know different care about giving people correct info

Venor ergo sum
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Guys 1 Qustion . If this stuff was so great an the best thing sence God ,why on earth do u need difference parts on a gun to shoot the junk

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Its called Technology Savage.

When something new comes out, you have sometimes have to retrofit things for the newest thing to work. Swapping out a breech plug is cheap and easy. Knights do cost more as they at times have to have the bolts updated, but that kind of gun was behind when it was ahead in the day.

Most new muzzleloaders these days will shoot it flawless, like the traditions break actions. No mods needed, same for TC.

Its basically boils down to, if you dont want to use it, dont. Just know what you are talking about when you try making a stand against it. Its like the flintlock dude calling a percussion shootin dude a cheater and then the guy with the matchlock, smiling, shaking his head and says.... You both are cheaters when compared to my gun.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Guys 1 Qustion . If this stuff was so great an the best thing sence God ,why on earth do u need difference parts on a gun to shoot the junk

For the same reason you need reduced flame breechplugs and reduced fire primers to avoid the dreaded "crud ring" from 777.

And it is not the be all/end all powder. I can't shoot it in my T/C renegade which I got my elk with last fall.

Can you imagine shooting 30 straight time without swabbing once with 777? Won't ever happen. I do it all the time with BH. To me (and a lot of other people) that is worth a lot of modifications. And SO much less likely to rust your barrel than 777 or the other powders.

We understand it is not your cup of tea, that is fine, to each his own. But when you start talking bad about a powder, at least get your facts straight.

Venor ergo sum
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
you can if you get that mag spark adapter, Ben Hubbard is making them again from what I hear and re-designed it for heavier use.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I can't imagine someone not liking BH209, it shoots accurately and less work keeping things clean....win win!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Sorry about ruffling of feathers of u guys about Blackhorn, only seen it uses once, an not good from what I seen powder seem greaseie looking[wet]

Last edited by savage62; 02/09/14. Reason: wet
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
thanks savage. There is certainly a learning curve on any new thing. When I first used 777 I I hated the crud ring! Then came new, smaller channe breechplugs and lower power primers and with those changes it is a great powder. I may be using again next fall

Venor ergo sum
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
So what is the secret to shooting 777 in the Renegade? Just acquired one in 54 to match my old Knight Wolverine. Too much hassle or should I stick with Pyrodex?

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
3f would be a good start to getting reliable ignition with T7. Add a nipple from cabelas called the Spitfire, it will have a hollow cavity in the end of the nipple that greatly helps spread flash from the cap.

Goex would be awesome. Theres a store in Manitou Springs if you are close enough, called the mountain man.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

424 members (10ring1, 1lessdog, 1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 52 invisible), 2,525 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,184
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.