Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I recently took a new job with a company that has a large presence in the south. Sort of planning on where I want to be in the next 5 to 6 years. I'm more of a mountain west type but the woman is all about the warm weather so I'm thinking that if the opportunity arises - we'll go south once my son's off to the Navy.

So - what's the best state in the south to live in? Figure a place where a guy can shoot, hunt and boat. (I love boating)

All things considered - taxes, cost of living, fun et cetera.

Me

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
sweet home

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You mean the Southeast, or the south in general?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Minus Jackson, Mississippi is hard to beat for an outdoors type and super folks there. Failing that, my part of Lousyanner tops all of them.

For Alabama, look at Smith County, especially at the "demographics" there.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
come on down to Mississippi for a visit, we'll treat you so many ways you'd bound to like some of them.. grin

IC B2

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
South/Southeast - thinking Georgia, Florida, the Carolinas, Alabama, Arkansas et cetera.

I lived in Texas for 3 years, probably wouldn't be interested in going back there too much unless it was on the coast.

Need to be by water, spent my entire life living on the Great Lakes and Monterey Bay. 3 years in San Antonio was the most I had ever lived without being close to large water.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
You know my first choice but if I had to move it would be to The Sportsman's Paradise. Preferably northern Louisiana. They are basically East Texans up there. And New Orleans is my favorite big city.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by teal
South/Southeast - thinking Georgia, Florida, the Carolinas, Alabama, Arkansas et cetera.

I lived in Texas for 3 years, probably wouldn't be interested in going back there too much unless it was on the coast.

Need to be by water, spent my entire life living on the Great Lakes and Monterey Bay. 3 years in San Antonio was the most I had ever lived without being close to large water.

For you, water, etc., Alabama, Gulf Shores greater area. Home insurance costs is gonna bust yo azz wide open, though.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Come on down to Tennessee. Beretta just did! grin

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
you can shoot, hunt, fish and boat in Florida. We have no State income tax, and the State Sales Tax is 6%.
Good schools, three National Champion football Universities, and great golfing.
We also have way more than enough people, so Georgia might suit y'all. laugh

seriously, other than there being 20 million folks here, and another 4 million or so undocumented aliens, it's not bad at all.

Sam......

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Minus Jackson, Mississippi is hard to beat for an outdoors type and super folks there. Failing that, my part of Lousyanner tops all of them.

For Alabama, look at Smith County, especially at the "demographics" there.

There is no Smith County in Alabama. Exactly where did you have in mind?

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Florida would be on my list for sure.

Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by teal

Of those you mentioned specifically, Arkansas. Of all the geographic southeast...the southeastern quadrant of the US, Oklahoma, then Texas.

In order:
Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, Louisiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri, West Virginia, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Florida, Virginia, Maryland.

Oklahoma has the politics you want. It has a very diverse range of geographic features...with true mountains if that's what you want. In fact, the southeastern portion of the state is very mountainous and remote. The job opportunities in the two big cities are probably not on a par with Texas either in terms of availability or pay, but are not bad. There are hunting opportunities for all but the biggest of game. Oklahoma is surprisingly wet. The climate is not, but there are tons of lakes, ponds, streams and rivers. Eufaula, mid-state, and Texoma on the Texas border are nothing short of huge Corps of Engineers impoundments. You've got very good fishing for lots of freshwater species.

Crime is manageable and Oklahoma has some of the best laws in the country, especially where guns are concerned. Speaking of which, Kansas is pretty "gunny" but there is no comparison. I spent many years living down on the Okie border. You crossed the line and immediately you'd see people out shooting, nearly every day. Just plinking and informal target. Oklahoma is VERY gun-friendly. Of my other top three picks, Kansas' climate, politics, laws and aquatic opportunities are inferior and Texas' politics and laws are too. Texas also has a much worse problem with illegals and just overcrowding in general. Both Kansas and Texas are doable and Texas has a great advantage jobs-wise.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ozark region of Arkansas. Mountains, hunting and fishing, conservative, one day drive to the Rockies.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
NC, you got the mountains, the coast, and the outer-banks all in one state.

*Master of random precision*
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by twofish
NC, you got the mountains, the coast, and the outer-banks all in one state.

and a ton of weirdo's with a ton of weirdo liberal laws. Although, you did finally get rid of the chicken lady Governor.

My greatest ancestors landed in Western NC. We have property that has been in the family for 220 years and I still have yet to even consider moving there. SC over NC any day

I am still partial to Southern Virginia.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fishing and boating = Florida.

Hunting, fish, and boating = Texas

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tennessee has some beautiful mountain country, lots and lots of lakes, no income tax and is pretty conservative. Alabama is more conservative these days, but lacks the scenery of Tennessee. Both offer very good deer and hog hunting. Mississippi might be a bit flat for you if you are used to the mountains.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Well if your son is going into the Navy there is a good chance he may be stationed out of Norfolk Va, the largest Navy Base on the East Coast. Boating is extremely popular here. Got the Chesapeake Bay, Atlantic Ocean, Intercoastal Waterway, Albermarle Sound, and numerous rivers. Can also tow down to Teaches Marina in Hatteras and be in the blue water pretty quick. Fairly low cost area due to military and retirees. Hunting is kind of limited, but hunt clubs are fairly cheap, search Craigs list to get an idea. I shoot out at the CU2 shooting range in Va. Beach.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Florida. it's not bad at all.
Everything south of Okeechobee county is.

South Florida has good fishing....that's it.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 57 invisible), 2,912 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,486
Posts18,490,298
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.