Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
24,000,000 people stuck into an area the size of Florida sounds like hell on earth.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Any State that begins with the letter 'T' is your best choice IMO.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
Tennessee has some beautiful mountain country, lots and lots of lakes, no income tax and is pretty conservative. Alabama is more conservative these days, but lacks the scenery of Tennessee. Both offer very good deer and hog hunting. Mississippi might be a bit flat for you if you are used to the mountains.

Agreed. The area around Huntsville AL, is quite senic though IMO, and that city, along with Asheville NC, is one of the most desireable towns in the south, IMO.

The mountainous areas of N. GA have become bedroom communities for Atlanta commuter and are becoming quite crowded. Tennessee has some great fishing, to include the southernmost smallmouth bass populations, combined with great striped bass fishing and even a muskie or two here and there. TN also has some excellent canoeable rivers.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by teal
South/Southeast - thinking Georgia, Florida, the Carolinas, Alabama, Arkansas et cetera.

I lived in Texas for 3 years, probably wouldn't be interested in going back there too much unless it was on the coast.

Need to be by water, spent my entire life living on the Great Lakes and Monterey Bay. 3 years in San Antonio was the most I had ever lived without being close to large water.

San Antonio is a short drive from the coast, big water... But thats my opinion...

we are 125 miles inland, and we have a lot of water to pick from to do anything from fishing, runningl lines, grappling, bowfishing, fresh/salt, inshore, offshore etc...

Of course I hate the heat here. Why anyone would want to deal with this heat is beyond me.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm from Florida but retired in TN, there is a reason for that.

I do miss the salt though, for fishing and seafood but that's about it.

I like having 4 seasons, with none of them extreme, which TN offered me. I also wasn't going to retire in a state with state income tax, so that's TN or FL.

For fishing and food though, nothing trumps south Louisiana.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
NC is fine, but you'll need to pick and choose your area. I'm from severe Eastern NC, but live in Charlotte now. Trying to leave clt as quickly as possible.

I like the Wilmington area as well as north eastern nc (Edenton area).

I strongly believe Eastern nc and severe western nc are much different than the rest of the state.

Btw, taxes are average across the board, which means it's quite high overall.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm a born and bred Floridian and I'll never leave. If you're a fisherman there is absolutely no way to beat Florida. You can come close, but no state has everything Florida has; too much water down here.

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
As a lumber trader I did a lot of business in the south from TX to AL. At the time, Willamette Industries in LA was my primary mill.

In Driving all over TX, LA, MS, AL, my favorite all time place was Hattiesburg, MS.

Close drive to everything and one very beautiful town.

Gosh, I love and miss southern food!!

I'd be one fat bubba If I lived down there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
South Louisiana- Gumbeaux, Geaux-Geaux & Deaux-Deaux. Except for this recent spell of "global warming" where we've had sneaux and ice storms, the winter temperatures are generally pretty mild. Can hunt, fish and play golf all year round. Low property tax. Water all over the place, fresh & salt. Not many nice beaches, but the Mississippi gulf coast and Florida is only a few hours away. I live 30 minutes from the Gulf of Mexico, 30 minutes from the Atchafalaya Basin & 5 minutes from a pretty neat litle golf course, with 4 or 5 more within 30 minutes. Great food , of course.

Last edited by 308ragincajun; 02/08/14.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I am biased of course, but, geographically speaking, Alabama is definitely diverse. We have mountains in the north, word-class beaches in the south, with a lot of excellent farming and timberland in between, and North America's 2nd largest delta. I live near the coast, where I can be in a tree stand hunting deer and hogs, or go bream fishing, or trout fishing, or headed off-shore tuna fishing in 10 minutes time. However, I mainly hunt in the central part of the state. We build some neat stuff too. Rockets, Littoral Combat Ships, Mercedes, etc. Baldwin County is literally a bread basket, 95% of what my family eats is harvested locally. Then you have football, motorsports, Mardi Gras, marlin tournaments, yacht racing, etc.
Not knocking my neighbors, but someone mentioned steering clear of Jackson, MS. Amen brother!

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I grew up in and moved back to the NE AL/SE TN/NW GA area. Lots of mountains and lots of water.

Good deer hunting in all 3 states but AL has the longest deer season and the most tags, great turkey hunting in all 3, and great fishing in all 3 (TN having some more diversity with some cooler water spots, AL being a great bass fishing state).

AL and GA have a state income tax, TN does not. Property, auto, etc taxes vary between them...generally GA is a little higher in all, AL generally lower than TN on many of the odds/ends taxes - the difference between AL and TN overall taxes being made up by the state income tax in AL.

I like the mountains and have no intention of living somewhere without them again...

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Check out northeast Alabama--foothills of the Smokies and Lake Guntersville.

Thats where I plan to end up

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by teal
I recently took a new job with a company that has a large presence in the south. Sort of planning on where I want to be in the next 5 to 6 years. I'm more of a mountain west type but the woman is all about the warm weather so I'm thinking that if the opportunity arises - we'll go south once my son's off to the Navy.

So - what's the best state in the south to live in? Figure a place where a guy can shoot, hunt and boat. (I love boating)

All things considered - taxes, cost of living, fun et cetera.

Arkansas allows cancelled carry without a CCW. All that is required is to be legally allowed to posses the firearm. Arkansas also has good hunting and fishing

I live in Louisiana just for the record.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Next to Texas, I'd choose Central Ar........ around Miles Patton country near Des Arc.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It is a good place with good people, for the most part. Lots of farming but good hunting and fishing too. Hot in the summer and usually pretty nice in the winter, but the global warming cooling caught up with us this year. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SU35
As a lumber trader I did a lot of business in the south from TX to AL. At the time, Willamette Industries in LA was my primary mill.

In Driving all over TX, LA, MS, AL, my favorite all time place was Hattiesburg, MS.

Close drive to everything and one very beautiful town.

Gosh, I love and miss southern food!!

I'd be one fat bubba If I lived down there.

Hattiesburg is my lifelong home base & kicking grounds and I agree that it is one of the more pleasant places that I have ever seen, and I've seen quite a few places.

My work allows me to live anywhere in the world that I choose to and recently I have considered whether I may be better off somewhere different...

I tend to look towards the Western US, but for now I just travel to where I want to be when I want to be there on my time off.

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
NE Alabama, the Northern 1/3 of Georgia, East TN or Western NC are pretty good. We have mountains. Not quite as impressive as the west, but more impressive than many think. You gain more altitude between Knoxville and Clingmans dome in the Smokies than you do between Colorado Springs and Pikes Peak.

The weather can be hot July-Sepetmber, but winters are mild with just enough snow and cold in the mountains to have a bit of fun. Weather is a lot cooler in summers in the mountain areas than lower elevations. You can be on the Atlantic coast in a short days drive.

Hunting is good. Not as sure about TN and NC, but GA's big game season is mid-Sept thourgh Jan 1 in the north, Jan 15 in the south with a bag limit of 12. Alabama is as long or longer with 1/day limit. Turkey hunting is generally good along with decent bear hunting. Waterfowl can be very good, but you have to be in just the right spots.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Asheville NC, is one of the most desirable towns in the south, IMO.

Asheville is gayer than the Dave Matthews band.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have lived in West Texas for half my life and the rest mostly in and around MS.

My Mom and Dad bought a house in Biloxi,it's about a block from the Gulf.Never had any water from any storm yet get close to the house.

Hunting is pretty good there and if/when the house comes up might have to fight my better half to go live there.
She doesn't mind cold but when it gets cold there its a damp cold.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Tennessee sucks I'm leaving soon as my kids graduate. Very little public land even less private land, everything is posted and 15 bass tournaments a day on every lake we have. They close every buisness and schools if 1 snowflake falls and the illegals have taken over. More redlights than any small town ever need and wages are lower than most other parts of the country. The deer are small and the ducks are few. The people are rude now because all the libtard transplants from the northeast. Tennessee ain't what she was 30 years ago. O yeah we're also #2 in meth manufacturing, some years #1, its always a coin toss between us and Missouri. Cant wait to get outta here. Move here if you want, hell I'll sell you a 3 BR 2 bath brick for a good deal.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (69sportfury, 17CalFan, Akhutr, 450yukon, 375sunrise, 907brass, 15 invisible), 1,566 guests, and 1,044 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,526
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.