https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Ricky. I not sure I've every accused you of spinning. You craft beautiful theological arguments, you just a have a tendency to avoid discussion about evidence.

As for what Curdog did nor did not say, if your read between the lines, "abandon your intellect" is exactly what he said.

Originally Posted by curdog

It IS that simple........... but it ain't easy for a man who still has confidence in his own powers of intellect.
You want to search out the Truth on your terms. It hasn't worked for you yet and it won't work.

A command to stop thinking and just believe continues to be one of the last refuges for the apologist once they realize their claims have failed to withstand scrutiny.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 02/09/14.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Three and four decades ago, I spent some time on epistemology.

After about 15 years I concluded it was a waste of my time to pursue it further. Evidence and reason will only carry you so far. At some point, you either believe, or not, as evidence and reason will not get you completely beyond doubt. I had enough to conclude it was reasonable to believe. Others may disagree.

Best wishes to truth seekers.

Paul
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by pmeisel

After about 15 years I concluded it was a waste of my time to pursue it further. Evidence and reason will only carry you so far. At some point, you either believe, or not, as evidence and reason will not get you completely beyond doubt. I had enough to conclude it was reasonable to believe. Others may disagree.

So it wasn't the evidence or reason, but something lead you to conclude it was reasonable. What lead you to this conclusion, Pascal's Wager?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Burning the library in Alexandria and putting us in the dark ages for 1250 years.

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by pmeisel

So it wasn't the evidence or reason, but something lead you to conclude it was reasonable. What lead you to this conclusion, Pascal's Wager?

I have always found Pascal's Wager quite interesting. The great issue with it is of course is the "Wager" truly a wager or is it a choice? If it is a wager, then the process is invalid.

Here is one critic of the Wager:

Argument from inauthentic belief:

Some critics argue that Pascal's Wager, for those who cannot believe, suggests feigning belief to gain eternal reward. This would be dishonest and immoral. In addition, it is absurd to think that God, being just and omniscient, would not see through this deceptive strategy on the part of the "believer", thus nullifying the benefits of the wager.

So, I conclude that the idea behind Pascal's Wager can only be true if it is a choice not a wager and the choice, and Pascal (from old memory??) referred to this himself; is that the "wager" is made with the correct and true deity.

Interesting though.

TF

Last edited by TF49; 02/09/14.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Ricky. I not sure I've every accused you of spinning. You craft beautiful theological arguments, you just a have a tendency to avoid discussion about evidence.

As for what Curdog did nor did not say, if your read between the lines, "abandon your intellect" is exactly what he said.

Originally Posted by curdog

It IS that simple........... but it ain't easy for a man who still has confidence in his own powers of intellect.
You want to search out the Truth on your terms. It hasn't worked for you yet and it won't work.

A command to stop thinking and just believe continues to be one of the last refuges for the apologist once they realize their claims have failed to withstand scrutiny.

Your "reading between the lines" is a suppositional exercise based in your mind and intent, which can yield only information/understanding limited to your knowledge base. The degree to which you might consider your mind superior might be the degree to which you depend on personal supposition instead of what has been stated by others.

In this case, Curdog said "that ain't easy" and said that, in your case, "it won't work". He was addressing the difficulty and futility of your process, but he never said that you should stop it, and he surely did not say to "abandon" your intellect. If you carefully were to read his posts, and avoid applying suppositions, you could see that he has said something very different than what you stated.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Funny how some of us are very particular what and how we say something... though It'll always be cherrypicked or retranslated... at least we said it right once.

Kent

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Ricky. I not sure I've every accused you of spinning.
No. To be sure you did not. You said I twisted, I presume God's word, and stacked BS high enough to emulate a Harvard lawyer interpreting the constitution. You did not say spin. I am so very sorry. smirk Perhaps I was reading between the lines. whistle

Curdog is oft to say he'll take credit for everything black on the page but those white attributions is on the other guy. Could be where "white lies" comes from but for timing.

He didn't say abandon your intellect and stop thinking because those things have nothing to do with the issue. The issue is the emphasis placed on intellect and thinking and somehow escalating man's intellect and thinking to be on a similar level to God's. That just ain't so. Think man vs amoeba and you might approximate God vs man, if the amoeba is brilliant.

As for evidence, it's around us everyday. Nature screams intelligent design, if you can't hear it, you just aren't listening. I have seen abundant personal evidence over and over again. Want me to recount some for you? maybe some day I will. But this forum is not the place and I don't believe your mindset is worth the effort right now. It is quite obvious, you have worked hard and placed all the appropriate literature in front of your eyes to prove and disprove what makes you feel comfortable. That's a tall order to change on an internet forum and I don't have the time or desire.

Well talk again. I am a little hurt you didn't comment on my groups, though. frown grin

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by Swampman700
"The fool saith in his heart there is no God" Jesus Christ is God (John chapter 1) and you are a fool.
Matt 5:22
whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
KJV

Working on your tan?

Incorrectly translated "fool." The correct translation is "without worth."

Need to work on your understanding?

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
IC B3

Page 17 of 17 1 2 15 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

255 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 2500HD, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 160user, 31 invisible), 1,687 guests, and 1,058 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,630
Posts18,492,978
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.