Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Olaf Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
How is it possible to accuse, on a public, Internet forum (not this forum), Alaska's BoF Chairman, Judge Karl Johnstone of "unethical behavior" and then try to justify the accusation by quoting the Alaska Commission on Judicial Conduct's statement that:

"Even though we recognize -- and indeed emphasize -- that we have found no actual impropriety on the part of Judge Johnstone, we conclude that a public reprimand is appropriate in light of the substantial harm caused by the appearance of impropriety . .

Since when does the "appearance" of impropriety equate to "unethical behavior"?

Why is such villainous slander even permitted on an Internet forum with rules that state "comments about people [are not welcome]?

Last edited by Olaf; 02/10/14.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why don't you take it up with the person that posted the supposed "slander" instead of trying to get the answer from here? Was it an Alaska based website where it was posted? AOD?

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Could be because Johnstone has run the ragged edge of the law for a long time... And because they are supposed to avoid any behavior with even an appearance of impropriety.

Quoting an actual proclamation of reprimand is citing factual data and hardly subject to any question of slander or libel.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Olaf Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Gee whiz, guys, you are completely missing the point of my question.

Here we have a public servant, a man proposed for the position by our governor and approved by our legislature being publicly accused on an Internet forum thusly:

'. . the unethical behavior of the chairman is well known to everyone . . "

Well, golly, 'tain't so. Not "well known" to me.

Doesn't matter who's slinging the slander, doesn't matter who's providing a place for the slander to be slung. What matters is that a public figure is being publicly slandered with unsubstantiated accusations of "unethical behavior" and then attempting to justify that slander by citing the "appearance" of something totally different.

How is such crap even possible? If I were Judge Johnstone, I'd be talking to my lawyer.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
What's your point?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Olaf Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ironbender
What's your point?

My question is my point . . .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you're looking for decorum, internet chat forums are the wrong place to find it.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If I were Judge Johnstone, I'd be talking to my lawyer.

So...are you?

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most of the time, around here, the decorum isn't much fancier than the furniturum.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Olaf
Originally Posted by ironbender
What's your point?

My question is my point . . .

Which question, then?

"Forum decorum?"
There was a question mark, so I'll just assume it was a question.

Or was it...
"How is it possible to accuse,..."

Or was it...
"Since when does...

Or was it...
"Why is such villainous slander..."

So again, what was your point?

And, why bring some other website "problem" over here rather than deal with it where it occurred?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Here's the link to the full Alaska Supreme Court decision that was cited:

Alaska Supreme Court decision
Supreme Court of Alaska.
IN RE: the proceeding under AS 22.30.070(c) in relation to Karl S. JOHNSTONE, Petitioner.

No. S-8387.

38.  In light of this conclusion, we see no need to attempt a comprehensive definition of �appearance of impropriety.�   At a minimum, an improper appearance could be found where a thorough investigation of all available information would leave an intelligent and reasonably informed member of the public with an undispelled suspicion of actual impropriety.   But the notion of undispelled suspicion is not definitive.   Because conduct that necessitates a full-scale inquiry to allay public suspicion itself suggests impropriety, an impermissible appearance also might be found-regardless of whether an investigation eventually dispelled suspicion of actual misconduct-if readily avoidable conduct foreseeably caused reasonably intelligent and informed members of the public to demand a full inquiry into suspected impropriety.   Ultimately, what qualifies as an appearance of impropriety may defy precise definition.   But this case requires no such precision, for our acceptance of the commission's finding of an �unmistakable appearance that something improper was afoot� necessarily establishes that Judge Johnstone's conduct falls far closer to the core of the prohibition than to its borderline.

Might just answer "one or two" of the OP's questions, in particular...the "how does it" question.

"Don't think a libel suit it makes" ("but I used my best Yoda voice wink )

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (06hunter59, 1minute, 2500HD, 222Sako, 22250rem, 1lessdog, 60 invisible), 2,641 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,915
Posts18,498,329
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.