Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Kojac Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Anyone use Turbo Tax? Thoughts, pros, cons.

The Tail Goes Along With The Hide.

We should have picked our own cotton.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We've used them for seven years or so. I'm not in prison yet.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have used it for the past 10 years without any problems.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Been using it for about 10 years and no problemo. Cheapest way to go if you're not too complex in your tax situation. We have three incomes, a personal business, retirement portfolios, etc. It handles all of that just fine.

Dave
Sticks and stones may break my bones ... but hollow-points expand on impact.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Same here and I've had to file regular W-2 employment and a bunch of 1099's, along with oodles of deductions to charity.

No problems yet, but we'll see if the donations to Tea Party Conservatives changes that.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Off and on for the last decade. No problems.

Tax Act is another one I've used similar to Turbo Tax...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I use it for my son's taxes.. Good product, AFAIC..

But with my business I use an accountant..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Happy customer. It takes a little longer the first time because you have to enter a lot of data. When you log in the next year a lot of the data is already there. You can make changes if needed, but things go really fast after the first time.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Easy peasy. My situation is pretty simple but when I was a contractor and could write off a lot more stuff it wasn't hard either.

I go through all of the questions just to make sure and it takes about an hour total to do both the federal and state taxes. No arithmetic mistakes, no missing a form you have to run out and get, email submission of taxes for another fee but it's well worth it.

I would never do taxes by hand again.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used all the above listed...all worked fine...best thing about the pc/programs...is u can add or subtract stuff and see how it reflects on what u owe - or your refund>>>> like """"should I have bought that wind powered turbine/solar combo I was eyeing in 2013"""" well as it turns out I "owe" 500.00 But if I had gotten and installed 5o00.00 worth of power stuff I would be getting a check for 1100.00....and 60% free power.....this year I will leap.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Used it for 5 years. Happy Happy Happy

Grammar is important.
Capitol letters are the difference between "helping your Uncle Jack off a horse" & "helping your uncle jack off a horse".
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've used it for nearly 20 years. Works well and after you've entered all your personal information subsequent years go pretty quickly. I find it easy to use and it prompts you for tax rebates and right offs you might not be aware of, though I'm not sure if there are many of those left.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've used TurboTax for close to 20 years. Had an audit on my 2009 return and printed out the Turbo Tax work sheets and sent them in to IRS. IRS sent a letter in about 6 months thanking me for the information and that no further action required.

This year I did the Federal and Alabama and Missouri returns. Took about two hours and cost about $136 to file all returns. To have an accountant do these forms and file them would have cost hundreds for sure. I expect to have my refund next week.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've used them for 10 years and love it. I've never been audited, but of course, I've also not tried to start a 501c3 called "Tea Parties for Cancer Kids".

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If I have all of the W-2's, 1099's, etc. handy, I can complete and file both state and federal taxes for 3 different people (my Dad, daughter and myself) in about 2 hours using Turbo Tax. I've used it for about 10 years and it works great.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Has worked for me the last number of years. I can only compare it to the pen and paper way. Worth it for me to pay for their product.

Read and understand their offers of further services. I don't need them so I pass. Others might find them useful.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Yes, I agree it is quick and easy to use. The question and answer format is very simple to follow. If you have a question amount a term or if sometime is deductible etc. the program has a set of help prompts built in. Also the ability to complete and file both your federal and state returns is a very good feature as well.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i've used it for 20+ years with no problems. makes doing taxes so much easier and less stressful.

My diploma is a DD214
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If you make less than 100K....the ole paper 1040EZ takes all of about three minutes to complete. With none to few deductions any longer, other than home mortgage interest, it's pretty hard for the average guy to beat the standard deduction?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used to live in upstate NY where they have state taxes and did my returns by hand. Made $40,000 per year when I worked there.

Made one small calculation error on the state form. I was working in dollars and cents - two decimal places - and in the very tiny print on the form instructions it said to calculate percentages out to 4 decimal places. I missed that and underpaid my taxes to the tune of $1.38. Moved to Idaho (thank GOD!) next month. Got a letter in the mail from the NY Dept. of Revenue notifying me of my under payment error with penalties and interest totaling over $100.

The tone of the letter was extremely threatening, they pretty much accused me of deliberate tax fraud. Basically I had three options.
1 - pay it- due date was 5 days from when I got the letter or further penalties would apply
2 - Pay it and contest it - they would be the sole arbiter of whether I was right or they were.
3 - not pay it and contest it. They would be the sole arbiter of whether I was right or wrong. It would take months to decide and if I was wrong - BIG penalties and interest would apply.

It cost me over $100 for a mistake made by not taking calculations out to 4 decimal places when working with dollars and cents. Plus the cost of express postage to get the damn check back to them before the deadline.

Turbo Tax or most any tax calculation program would have prevented that. Now that it's available I wouldn't use any other method anymore.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

484 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 42 invisible), 2,309 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,333
Posts18,526,724
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.