Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I swapped deer stands (a 4'X6' box with 8' legs) with a buddy. You now the guy, the one that is always whining that he dont see chit. Any how it was foggy that morning I climbed right on up the steps into the stand and took my morning deer nap. At ~7:30 am I lifted one eye open and could see a nice 10 point buck about 60 yds out. I took the buck waited until alittle after 9:00 to go get him. Opened the door took the first step and it broke. Being I am 6'4" and 275 lbs I traveled quickly to the rocky ground. As I laid there trying to catch my breath with 3 broken ribs on the left side of my back, I thought Thank God! I unloaded my rifle.
TEXMAG

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rapid and successful healing
Freedom from pain
Many long years in the fields and streams
Success in your hunts

Wishing you alla' the above

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by pira114
Glad you're ok now.
Ditto.

I don't use any tree stand either.... had a fellow hunter take a dive down outta a poplar from a height of about 30 feet (the stand slipped all the way down) - thank God for all the snow that year, because he was unhurt but sore as all get out the next day.. He never used a tree stand again.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Holy Mackerel! Glad you're mending.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Whew! Thank God it wasn't a Winchester!

(just kidding.) Glad you survived.

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by TEXMAG
I swapped deer stands (a 4'X6' box with 8' legs) with a buddy. You now the guy, the one that is always whining that he dont see chit. Any how it was foggy that morning I climbed right on up the steps into the stand and took my morning deer nap. At ~7:30 am I lifted one eye open and could see a nice 10 point buck about 60 yds out. I took the buck waited until alittle after 9:00 to go get him. Opened the door took the first step and it broke. Being I am 6'4" and 275 lbs I traveled quickly to the rocky ground. As I laid there trying to catch my breath with 3 broken ribs on the left side of my back, I thought Thank God! I unloaded my rifle.
TEXMAG

And your buddy didn't see a damn thing either, did he.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I was hunting in Kerrville,TX at the time. I was able to slowly get myself up and walk back up hill to my truck. I made it back to Deer camp at 10:30 am and all the guys where sitting around the fire. My buddy asked, did you see anything? was that you that shot? and I hope you where careful getting in and out of my stand that top step is loose. I replied shot a 10 point buck 60 yds in front of your stand, can someone drive me to a hospital? and I am going to kick you AZZZZZ! when I get healed up.Funny story now, wasnt funny then.

TEXMAG

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You should have checked the step to see if your buddy had sawed through it for shooting all his deer.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Have a hunting friend who on his first fall without a harness sustained a compound fracture of the leg. After his second fall a few years later he is now in a wheelchair. Some people are just meant to self-destruct. They are usually the same ones that won't wear seat belts when driving. You may not believe it but there are people reading this that will be hunting this fall without a harness.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
100% on the safety harness.

Back in high school, my buddy's father fell asleep in a stand without a safety belt. Fell out and broke his neck. DRT. Very tragic.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
A harness alone isn't enough. Most fall climbing down out of their stands, after they've typically unhooked their harness. With a ladder or loc-on, you need a rope secured around the tree as high up as you can reach, standing in the stand. You tie a short prussik sling and carabiner clip that to the tail of your harness. You slide that prussik up above your head as you climb up, and the reverse as you climb down. The prussik knot will lock onto the rope. The more slack you allow, the farther you will fall if you slip.

I've done the same thing installing siding 25-30ft off the ground, working on pumpjacks. I secure the rope to the peak of the roof. Knowledge of knots and rigging can save your azz working or playing up high.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Godspeed with your recovery!

Glad you are still here among us to tell your story!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
incredible story! glad you will recover. thanks for sharing, in order to help prevent another accident.

ked

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Holy crap dude! You're lucky to be here.

My uncle works for Claiborne Electric and had to go out in a bucket truck a while back to get a big guy from a stand that was unconcious and dangling upside down from his tree harness. His phone had fallen out of his pocket, so he couldn't call for help. Luckily, someone knew where he'd be hunting. The rule on our place is to always let somebody know where you'll be.

Glad you are on the mend!

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad to hear you cheated death.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Here's to a speedy recovery.

Everyone should also be aware of the concerns related to suspension trauma, as well. The CD's that come with modern deer stands cover it pretty well.

Have a good day man. In honor of personal freedom and the open squirrel season, I think I'll go put a hole through dinner's head.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
You are very fortunate sir. Good luck with your recovery.

NRA Member
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Darn OM, was missing your posts and a little concerned. Asked about you about 1-2 mo ago and no one knew anything, of course. Quit screwing around and get us some stories on thinning the varmints. wink

Sure glad to hear you are still kicking, and hope you get well soon.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I keep my fat behind on the ground. Glad you made it out alive, but I'm going to KEEP my fat azz on the ground, where it belongs.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We're glad you're back and on the mend!

Wish it didn't take so many warnings for people to buckle up.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 53 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,670
Posts18,474,777
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.