Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Current: John Barsness and Jon Sundra
I believe these two are masters at what they write, Barsness with optics etc. and Sundra as the "American Rifleman"

Past: John Wooters, the man always could make a guy feel like he was part of the hunt.

GB1

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
So often I find myself flipping to the back of a sporting periodical to read the final story. It's usually an essay format and I enjoy them very much. That being said, I always enjoyed Charlie Dickey & Garry Sitton. I also like Tom McIntyre's work in Sports Afield and believe Walt Prothero is especially good when writing about hunting big mule deer.

I liked Ed Nixon's storytelling when it used to appear in Petersen' Hunting years ago. When it came to writing about hunting dogs and being afield with four-legged companions, I thought Bill Tarrant did an excellent job.

I'm easy to please so many of the afore mentioned writers are "favorites" too. I will add that Norm Strung came across as a real woodsman hunter that would have been a fine next-door neighbor and a neat guy to share a hunting camp.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Strung did real well for a guy that I think was born and raised in NY or NJ or similar. This is not a criticism and I could be wrong. He left us some time ago. The point is it's not where you're from but what you learn and how you communicate it.
T

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My favorite classic writer is Jim Corbett, understated, well written, and very good reading.

Modern day would have to be John Barsness, he stands behind what he says, even if he makes a mistake, he'll own up to it, correct it and move on. He is probably the most logical writer i have ever read when it comes to rifles and hand loading.He has some great one liners also.....

K
KHH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
For me , no contest on current - John Barsness , Great at communicating technical issues in a way anyone will understand. Any articals , advice , or opinion I've seen offered is backed up by reasearch , facts, and open minded observation. Write's what he observes good or bad . Accessable and giving of time here on this form .

Honorable mention to pretty much the all the writers at Handloader and Rifle. I like Brian Pierce, And of course Phil shoemaker .

My classic Jack O'conner , Bob Milek or, Jim Carmichel can't really single one out. I'm sure I've forgotten a few.

Humor is Patrick McManus , hands down.

Good hunting KH

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Days past - Skeeter Skelton

Newer - Ross Seyfried

It ain't like it used to be but it'll do.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm afraid I have to hedge a bit and call a toss up between Mule Deer and dogzapper. I've had the pleasure of sharing a cup of coffee at the local diner with dogzapper and I can tell you that he speaks as he writes. He combines a world of practical and technical knowledge with a casual style that reads like, well, like you're sitting and having a cup of coffee with him.

I admire the same elements of Mule Deer's writings. He never talks down to his audience, but he manages to cover the basics without putting the more experienced shooter and hunter to sleep.

The only other writer that made me feel that way was Bob Milek. He was the reason I bought Guns & Ammo.

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. --H. L. Mencken

www.oregonfirearms.org
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
one i really miss from the past is don zutz. always a good read and he took ya huntin'.

when he walked the woods and fields and reported it, it was like being there with him.

PLEASE EXCUSE CAPS. I AM HANDICAPPED AND ONLY HAVE ONE USABLE HAND FOR TYPING, THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION.

"THE" THREAD KILLER #3

It's ok....I've started up my meds again........They'll take effect in about a week. ( In honor of Staci M. 2006)

NRA LIFE MEMBER - 1965
JPFO- LIFE MEMBER

HANDLOADS ARE LIKE UNDERWEAR.....BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SWAP WITH.

HAPPY TRAILS, BILL
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Ken Howell,

Since a couple of us have mentioned Col. Askins ( the younger) perhaps you could share some insite about him.
He never struck me as the 'warm and fuzzy' type but I enjoyed Unrepentant Sinner and have often wondered if he was as tough as he protrayed himself.

Thanks for your time.

Too old to suffer fools
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Band...,

Sorry I started this and haven't finished it. Soon as I can contact my Pard I'll get back with the title. It was a good book for Corbett fans. Though I warn you, not the best written.

Too old to suffer fools
IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Speaking of Corbett: In one of his books, he stated that he shared the "Freedom of the Forests" of India with, if I remember correctly, one other sportsman. Does anyone know who that would be?

Wish I knew. If he was half the man Jim Corbett was I'da been proud to carry his water and extra ammo.

Too old to suffer fools
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
The big three of course. Whelen, Keith and O'Connor. Annabel and Jobson. I like Gene Hill and Steve Smith. But Ted Trueblood is my favorite. You reaslly could feel his love of the Wild in his writing.
NYS

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
O'Connor was an excellent storyteller. I had the pleasure of meeting him at an Idaho hunting ranch in 1973. He gave us a lift in his International Harvester Travelall. Stories were told in his booming voice.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have to go with Mule Deer.Very informative but not in some lingo that we have a hard time understanding. Great style! And then along comes Spomer. What a joke! Not only is his latest attempt at trying to be a writer of some sort way stupid but then after reading part of whatever he is trying to say, I realize that that same ignorant had been written before! Sure enough, Bullett Diaries is a word for word reprint. Yeah, some of the pictures are different but ths article is just as goofy. Dig up April-May of 2004,#228. Is Wolfe really that hard up for quaility writers? I think not.

GRACE God's Riches At Christ's Expense

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I enjoy reading most any gun related prose. I love to read anything written by Elmer Keith,Jack O'connor,Robert Ruark, Or Ernest Hemmingway,As well as A bunch of others I haven't mentioned! My personal favorite is Craig Boddington!

It is better to be believed a FOOL than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I run across a John Barsness or Steve Timm article I read it, period. Same with Phil Shoemaker.

I really liked reading Bob Milek, sad he's gone.

White-tailed deer articles I like Gary Clancy. Bowhunting articles I like Bill Winke.

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Band..,

Sorry for the long delay. My Pard was on an extended fishing trip. Finally got it:

Jim Corbett,Master of the Jungle by Tim Werling ---Safari press.

Another book of interest Ghosts of Savo by Phillip Caputo (a sometimes writer for Field and Stream) this is a sort of follow up to Patterson's great book.

Too old to suffer fools
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My all-time favorite writer is Jack O'Connor. His writing is what I read as I grew up. Due to his column in Outdoor Life, I spent a lot of paper route money on subscriptions and outdoor books. John Barsness is the activet writer I enjoy the most. Ward

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Favorite Author Today: John Barsness.
He is by his own definition a "generalist",
but his knowledge of topics is phenomenal.

Favorite Classic Author: Elmer Keith.
A superb storyteller bar none, that can
make you believe you are right there
with him during his incredible lifetime
of adventure.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
just remembered one i forgot in my first list.

don zutz, loved his stuff on shotguns.

PLEASE EXCUSE CAPS. I AM HANDICAPPED AND ONLY HAVE ONE USABLE HAND FOR TYPING, THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION.

"THE" THREAD KILLER #3

It's ok....I've started up my meds again........They'll take effect in about a week. ( In honor of Staci M. 2006)

NRA LIFE MEMBER - 1965
JPFO- LIFE MEMBER

HANDLOADS ARE LIKE UNDERWEAR.....BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SWAP WITH.

HAPPY TRAILS, BILL
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (1badf350, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1234, 57 invisible), 2,575 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,937
Posts18,498,817
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.