Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Anyone have any experience with the Zastava md 85 in .223?

Lions is bad. Lions is feerse. Lions ete folks.
Edison Marshall "The Heart of the Hunter"
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have one, I just haven't got it up and running yet. Need a scope and sling.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
How is the fit and finish? And your overall opinion of the rifle...I'm thinking of buying one. By the way, I see from your post you're in AK...is this gonna be your primary bear gun?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bear in mind this is a sample of one LH Zastava M85 .223, but to describe that one:

Exterior polish was nice, machining of the bolt and action interior was very rough. The stock was big - long LOP and lots of wood around the action and barrel and the finish was very rudimentary. Checkering was adequate but not well executed, lots of runovers on the borders. It's not CRF but has a bolt guide rib that kind of looks like a CRF extractor.

I bought this and a Zastava 7X57 (their Model 70) at the same time. Based on the work it took to get the 7x57 up to where I wanted it, I sold the 85 unfired and got a LH Ruger and a LH Tikka .223 later on.

The action is sized just right for the .223 class of rounds and except for the CZ or some rifles no longer made you won't find an action that size, so if you don't mind some polishing and maybe stock reworking (not needed but don't hurt) it's an okay basic action. IMO.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

.223 dummy round to show action size. Notice the machining marks on the left hand feed rail and raceway.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG_02065.JPG[/img]

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG_020212.JPG[/img]

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG_020011.JPG[/img]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have owned a couple in interarms and charles daly, configurations and a remington 799 as well.

They all functioned perfectly and were fairly accurate and became more accurate after bedding and working the triggers to acceptable pull weights.

They are a bit crude on final finish though, the actions are stiff and kind of rough but smooth up after a lot of use or a bunch of cyclings loaded up with lapping compound.

Stock fit and finish varied between importers and I have no personal experience with zastava branded rifles.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another personally, as a matter of fact i just sent a daly branded action off for rebarreling to a 6x45

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
All of that being said I also have owned one CZ 527 and there is no comparison to smoothness of the metal work and finish. CZs are more costly but they are very nicely finished and are really accurate as a rule.

Hope this info is helpful

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Jim, thanks for your fine response, it covers most of my questions and the photos were great. Based on your response I think I'll look elsewhere. I have a Sako L461 .222 and a AII 22-250AI both are pretty heavy. I'm looking to buy or build a light, compact truck gun and now will look elsewhere. Thanks again for your response and to others that responded. Bear

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by elliesbear
How is the fit and finish? And your overall opinion of the rifle...I'm thinking of buying one. By the way, I see from your post you're in AK...is this gonna be your primary bear gun?

laugh

Actually, I bought it as a light-weight, quick handling wolf (and other suitable targets of opportunity) gun for the truck.

The stock is heavier and thicker than I expected, I'd prefer to put it in a synthetic stock one of these days. As Jim in Idaho said, the exterior polish and bluing is done very well, but the interior machining is rough and could use some improvement. Most gunsmiths experienced with them say they clean up real nice.

The rough cycling bolt can probably be cleaned up with lapping compound and cycling the bolt until it smooths out. There were some metal boogers hanging off the inside of the bolt shroud when i took it apart that I removed with a file. Magazine, bore, bolt and springs were as good as any other manufacturer would produce. My rifles just happened to be the first that were produced after a month-long or so shutdown of the factory due to winter storms. That may or may not have anything to do with overall quality control and workmanship.

I also have a LH M-70 in .25-06 produced and bought at the same time that I do have up and running. It had/has similar issues, but I guess due to the size difference seems less noticeable.

I took it out recently to zero it and shot this highlighted, 3-shot bughole with 100 grain, off-the-shelf, Remington junk I bought locally.

The holes with the vertical ink 'whiskers' were shot to walk the crosshairs in to the center of the target.

The circled horizontal group are 120 grain Remington junk that was given to me. My goal was to find a good 90-100 grain handload as my primary load for this rifle. Slinging rounds into the 200 and 300yrd gongs at the range without trying quickly became boring and I seriously doubt i can cook up a handload that will out perform the Remington load.

The scope is a Leupold V-II 3-9x40mm in Warne rings and mounts.

Attached Images
SDC11322.JPG (49.85 KB, 112 downloads)

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I bought one last year and used it this year as my primary deer rifle. Very happy with it. The action was a little stiff and not particularly smooth when new, but I sat around a few evenings cycling it and it smoothed up nicely. Trigger adjusted down to a very crisp 3.5 lbs no problem. Shoots 53gr Barnes Vortex factory loads under an inch.

The stock as it came out of the box looked like it was finished with brown water color, but light rub down and few coats of tru oil and it looks like a million bucks.

I'll probably buy another this summer in 7.62x39.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Stevelyn....thanks for the reply. Actually, this is the reason I was interested, wolves are sorta scarce in Oklahoma but we are awash in coyotes and sundry other varmints. Once in a while I'll go with our rancher on his feed route [50 miles long] its hard to get a rifle out of the cab of a 4 wheel one ton feed truck when yotes are moving. This is big rimrock country and shots can be long. I have a .25 WSSM on a md 70 action with a shilen barrel that I've been unable to get to shoot to my satisfaction, wouldn't shoot with the factory barrel either. Thanks for your help.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by weagle
I bought one last year and used it this year as my primary deer rifle. Very happy with it. The action was a little stiff and not particularly smooth when new, but I sat around a few evenings cycling it and it smoothed up nicely. Trigger adjusted down to a very crisp 3.5 lbs no problem. Shoots 53gr Barnes Vortex factory loads under an inch.

The stock as it came out of the box looked like it was finished with brown water color, but light rub down and few coats of tru oil and it looks like a million bucks.

I'll probably buy another this summer in 7.62x39.

[Linked Image]

Weagle: are those Warne rings? Hard to tell from the picture.

Thanks.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by RevMike

Weagle: are those Warne rings? Hard to tell from the picture.

Thanks.

Yes. I think they are a little clunky, and I'd like some sleeker, lightweight rings.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have a Zastava M70 arriving sometime next week. It comes from the factory with iron and I'm planning to put Warne QDs on it "just in case." I'd like to mount the scope low but am not sure if the Warne lows will allow the bolt handle to clear. I believe there is .125 inch difference between the low and medium rings. I'm planning to do a mock-up out of old business cards the height of the low rings and bases, then lay the scope on it. If the bolt clears, I know the lows will work. If not, I'll order the mediums.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
By the way, the grain in that wood isn't bad at all.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

121 members (44mc, 375TN, 7887mm08, 35, 21, 358wsm, 16 invisible), 1,542 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,951
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.