Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Y
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Y
I Bought this Model 64 in 32 special this last fall and to be honest I don't know a ton about lever guns. I have a few and love them but to be honest I'm not real "educated" on the history and value and whatnot. Anyways to make a short story long I bought this rifle along with 4 boxes of factory ammo for $400.00. They guy said he bought it in the 50's and never even shot it. It just sat in his closet. I knew this is a beautiful piece but every time I look at it I just can't get over the great condition it's in. I believe it was built in 42 if memory serves but it was definitely built in the 40's.

I'd like to hear from some of you Winchester nuts and see if you could give me a ballpark value of this thing. Also it's in such great shape sometimes I wonder if it's been reblued. How could one tell if it's been re blued. Apparently all metal was blued on the 64 from the factory so that would be one way to tell, if there were blue parts that weren't supposed to be. The wood is absolutely perfect.

Anyways I guess I wanted to show this thing off but more importantly I wanted to hear what you gurus have to say about the history and value. It looks like everything from top to bottom is all original.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albu...2064/Winchester-10_zps7b9f00cd.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albu...%2064/Winchester-9_zps4b8718f8.jpg[/img]

Attached Images
Winchester 64-1.jpg (74.81 KB, 164 downloads)
Winchester 64-2.jpg (82.16 KB, 115 downloads)
Winchester 64-3.jpg (78.24 KB, 104 downloads)
Winchester 64-4.jpg (67 KB, 100 downloads)
Winchester 64-5.jpg (86.04 KB, 110 downloads)
Last edited by Yotechaser; 02/14/14.
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Without looking at it first hand it is hard to evaluate. Standard Rifle was not offered with sling studs.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Those rifles are horrendously dangerous, inaccurate, and it probably doesn't function anyway.

Since you are new to levers, I'll dispose of it properly for you, as that can be an involved and expensive proposition, and since you already have money in it, I'll take care of that cost for you (but just this one time). Heck, I'll even pay shipping...... grin

Nice rifle.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Yote,
I can tell you are uncertain about some things. Let me shed a little light on it for you.

YOU SUCK!!!!!

**(^&^$%@^%_%#@*((_&%$#$@$#(*_(^&^$%$$#&&

Nice rifle. Jerk.

Last edited by Fireball2; 02/14/14.

LOL
Y
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Y
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Yote,
I can tell you are uncertain about some things. Let me shed a little light on it for you.

YOU SUCK!!!!!

**(^&^$%@^%_%#@*((_&%$#$@$#(*_(^&^$%$$#&&

Nice rifle. Jerk.

Gee thanks. I appreciate your awesome insight. WTF!?!?!

IC B2

Y
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Y
I guess someone doesn't like me for some reason.

So how can I tell if this was indeed re blued, is there any tell tale signs? Anybody????? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Even if it has been reblued, you got a smokin deal.

If the story is true, and condition holds up, you paid 30-40% of actual value.

You got called a jerk because that is a crazy low price for a m64 regardless of condition, and yours looks to be exceptional.

Try the Winchester Collectors forum for more tips on your specific m64, and the rebluing question.

Y
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Y
Thanks much. I have a few old marlins and winchesters but this is by far the best. I figured I got a good deal but didn't know how good until I started doing some research. I'd love for this to be original and not blued. Once in a while the squirrel does get a nut I guess.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Hey yote, that's a joke man! Sorry. Whata great gun and buy!!!! I'm jealous! grin

LOL
Y
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Y
I was wondering "what the heck was that about" LOL. I'm scared to tell you about the trade I made the other day and got a 68' Marlin 336 Texan. LOL.

I reposted in the winchester forum. I didn't see it earlier.

Dave' it's true on my end. I was at my daughters softball game browsing a local gun trader site on my phone and the guy had just posted it. I told him I'd take it immediately and met him after the game. I remember so well because I was leaving for Wyoming the next day for an antelope hunt. I actually brought it along with hopes of killing an antelope with it but never did. We got hit with that huge storm that buried Casper while we were there (winter storm Atlas). In fact the rifle got wet from the condensation and I was scared to death It was going to rust! The weather was so foul I just left it in the hotel room after that so it didn't get nastied up. I think I'll shoot a deer with it this coming season though.

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Hearing about other guys getting awesome deals gives the rest of us hope! Meantime, we buy high and sell low!!
Really nice rifle, I'd be tickled to have it myself.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You outdid me bro and I thought I'd scored a major coup getting my M64 a few years ago for a mere $600. Your Pics weren't available for some reason, so I didn't get a look at yours.

I had been after one for years and most of 'em at gunshows were priced closer to a Thou, even in poor condition. The truly nice ones were always yonder of a Thou. So $400 or $600 is a steal.

Mine was absolutely mint and hadn't been hunted with in many years. Did manage to score a period correct Lyman #66 receiver sight for it, from another member here.

Mine came with the replacement magazine plug swivel, but the ol' boy gave me the original mag plug. He was worried that he'd ruined the value of the rifle by installing swivels. Didn't bother me none at all.

My M64 shoots very well with 150gr Core Lokt factory loads. Haven't gotten around to working up any loads for it yet.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I think your rifle has been refinished. The wood at both sides of the top tang is showing proud metal from sanding. The screw holes on the right of the receiver are washed out, the left, not so much.

Don't sweat the small stuff. You have an elegant shooter at a very attractive price. The last 64 that I had, I sold almost 25 years ago for a bunch more than you gave.. Mine had not been refinished, but it had four holes on the left of the receiver where some gosh awful scope base had been.

Enjoy, Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

487 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 60 invisible), 2,251 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,377
Posts18,506,628
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.