Hop To
#8581 06/13/01
P
pumpgun Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Was wondering about using a GPS. I have a GPS, but have not really used it. Who has one and uses it to find stuff. I am fair at reading topo maps to find where I want to go but have not yet figured out how to use the GPS readings to locate something on the map.or to locate something from the map by using the GPS to locate it using the map coordinates. tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
GB1

#8582 06/13/01
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have one, and used it on my last African trip. One issue is that there are several standards for maps, and if you are not on the same standard you will not get correlation.<BR>My GPS said I was standing in the middle of Lake Kariba, and I was certainly on dry land.<BR>When I went to the set up options, and changed the map standards to the correct British selection, bingo it's right on.<P>In Africa, they use the British satellites for location, and there is something different about the signals that causes about 20 mile displacement from your actual position.<P>But overall, I could have used it to find my way back to camp if I had to. In that part of the world a map is virtually useless, as they are poorly documented, and the terrain is so bushy/tree filled, that you couldn't pick out any useable landmarks,<P>------------------<BR>Those that would trade freedom for security, deserve neither freedom or security.<p>[This message has been edited by StevePP (edited June 13, 2001).]

Those that would trade freedom for security, deserve neither freedom or security.
#8583 06/13/01
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Tom, speak of the devil, UPS just delivered mine. The reason I got the Garmin GPS Map76 is because it has a fairly large memory, 8MB. Not as much as the E-Trex Vista, but the Map76 has a connection for an external antenna, larger screen, on screen panning, and is made for both nautical and land use. So I can also put it in my boat.<P>For any of you looking to buy a new GPS, I highly recommend: The GPS Store in North Carolina at: <A HREF="http://www.thegpsstore.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.thegpsstore.com/</A><BR>They are a large marine supplier, and programer for nautical plotters. They have everything.<P>I got a package deal the GPS with the Topo software and cable, at a $50 savings, and they shipped 3 day UPS for just $9.40. I ordered mine Sunday night, and it came today.<P>Phil

#8584 06/13/01
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Weird as it sounds, some of the topo maps I purchased don't have Lat. & Long. marked on them. I print my own from the Topo program and have no trouble with it. The only problem I had when I first got it was a user guide that was useless and did'nt explain the features very well. A lot of hours with it is the best for learning your unit until you trust it , along with an old fashion compass for backup. With my magellan, you must be moving to get an accurate reading. I mainly use it when hunting unfamiliar areas, and all I do is set a waypoint before I leave the truck, hunt to my hearts content and hit the GOTO button when it is time to leave. Dig out the unit and practice. It's a good way to spend the off season.<P>Rick

#8585 06/13/01
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
and always pack a spare set of fresh batteries, since the best GPS in the world is just an expensive rock if the batteries die!<P>------------------<BR>Those that would trade freedom for security, deserve neither freedom or security.

Those that would trade freedom for security, deserve neither freedom or security.
IC B2

#8586 06/13/01
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And check out the UTM (Universal Transverse Mercator) grid system. Once you learn how to use it, you'll never go back to lat/long.<P>Rick

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
#8587 06/16/01
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Rick,<BR>What's that??<P>------------------<BR>Those that would trade freedom for security, deserve neither freedom or security.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (22250rem, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,403
Posts18,488,921
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.