Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Y
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Y

I Bought this Model 64 in 32 special this last fall and to be honest I don't know a ton about lever guns. I have a few and love them but to be honest I'm not real "educated" on the history and value and whatnot. Anyways to make a short story long I bought this rifle along with 4 boxes of factory ammo for $400.00. They guy said he bought it in the 50's for deer hunting and never even shot it. It just sat in his closet. I knew this is a beautiful piece but every time I look at it I just can't get over the great condition it's in. I believe it was built in 42 if memory serves but it was definitely built in the 40's.

I'd like to hear from some of you Winchester nuts and see if you could give me a ballpark value of this thing. Also it's in such great shape sometimes I wonder if it's been reblued. How could one tell if it's been re blued. Apparently all metal was blued on the 64 from the factory so that would be one way to tell, if there were blue parts that weren't supposed to be. The wood is absolutely perfect.

Anyways I guess I wanted to show this thing off but more importantly I wanted to hear what you gurus have to say about the history and value. It looks like everything from top to bottom is all original except apparently the standard models didn't come with sling studs. There is just so much misinformation out there I just find myself chasing my tail. This is a busy site though so I'm hoping someone out there can give me a real expert opinion.

Thanks in advance!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albu...2064/Winchester-10_zps7b9f00cd.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albu...%2064/Winchester-9_zps4b8718f8.jpg[/img]

Last edited by Yotechaser; 02/14/14.
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
What's the saying, "buy the gun, not the story"? Very difficult to tell from the pics if it's been reblued. There are telltale signs to determine if it has, like dished out screw holes, rounded edges and "runs" in the lettering, blued pitting, ect. The lettering on the tang looks good, so if it was reblued it wasn't heavily polished. The W proof stamps on the top of the receiver and the barrel that arent visible should have raised edges and not even with the metal around it. One thing that does catch my eye is the wood finish appears different than factory and the wood is below the level of the metal on the receiver tang which indicates sanding and refinishing. Again, this is difficult to tell from the pictures. Overall, nice looking rifle and the price was right even if it had been refinished. If it's all original, you stole it.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Congrats - that is a great price for a nice clean 64. The serial number will cross to the year of manufacture. Three boxes of ammo runs $80 or more, sling and swivels another $20 - so you purchased the rifle for a mere $300 - that is a great price.

It may also have a factory addition of swivels. Standard 64s (and carbines for that matter) did not come with swivels as standard equipment. But others here would know about swivels better than me.

Even if it is re-blued, which is doesn't immediately look to be, it is still a great buy. Enjoy!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
That has been reblued. Those screws look flattened. The stock where it meets the tang and received looks sanded too far.

Y
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Y
Thanks so much guys

IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
It's a really nice gun no matter what it is.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

627 members (12344mag, 17Hunter, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 163bc, 67 invisible), 2,769 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,434
Posts18,507,636
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.