Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Looking for some advice/suggestions.... Is Armslist typically a scam ridden site?

Interested in a firearm posted on Armslist.com . A couple of emails later I think it is a farhking scam. Same ad appears 10 days after the original. This time from PA instead of VA. The dood I am dealing with is in VA.....I asked him wtf goes on with duplicate ads...he claims ignorance. His ad was the "original". Some google-fu reveals the name and addy is that of an 80 year old man living in an apartment complex in VA. He requests a tracking number with payment.

I answered the duplicate ad from the PA addy and got no reply...I am playing this out as best I can...the original reply seems to be in sh�tty grammatical form which raises a flag too...

My cynical ass says it is some ass monkey using an old mans addy in an apartment complex and when the mail arrives on the day the "tracking" info projects, the shill is waiting at mail time and pinches the old bucks mail and I get [bleep].......sound about right?

Last edited by fatjack34; 02/16/14.

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I would be skeptical as well

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
The deal is decent, not a too good to be true deal, but decent. I have yet to be scammed on the Internet....and I do a fair amount of buying and selling....

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My thought is you have been safe so far because you trusted your instincts and have been careful. I say go with what your gut instincts tell you.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I have seen some good deals but each time I contacted the seller the item was sold so some deals seem legit.

I would definitely get a name, cell and call to get a feel for whats going on. If I had any doubts after that I would run..

Ted
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My LGS had several ads "stolen" from GunsIntnational.com and used on Armslist. They contacted the FBI and ATF with proof of the correct ad, but they haven't caught up the crook yet. He was waiting on someone to mail a MO to a PO box and skip with the money....

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
I have a phone # and info...again, my Google-Fu.....the addy comes back to an elderly housing facility in Arlington, VA. I am calling the 80 year old buck shortly.

Will update.

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Phone number out of service....go figure!

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by fatjack34
Looking for some advice/suggestions.... Is Armslist typically a scam ridden site?

Interested in a firearm posted on Armslist.com . A couple of emails later I think it is a farhking scam. Same ad appears 10 days after the original. This time from PA instead of VA. The dood I am dealing with is in VA.....I asked him wtf goes on with duplicate ads...he claims ignorance. His ad was the "original". Some google-fu reveals the name and addy is that of an 80 year old man living in an apartment complex in VA. He requests a tracking number with payment.

I answered the duplicate ad from the PA addy and got no reply...I am playing this out as best I can...the original reply seems to be in sh�tty grammatical form which raises a flag too...

My cynical ass says it is some ass monkey using an old mans addy in an apartment complex and when the mail arrives on the day the "tracking" info projects, the shill is waiting at mail time and pinches the old bucks mail and I get [bleep].......sound about right?

That is one I would walk away from.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If they ask for a Western Union money transfer run away and run fast. That seems to be a common denominator in the past. I don't know what trick they are using now. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Lotsa scams. Not for the novice.
Buy more on Armslist than anywhere else.
Sell a few items also.
Cisco

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If it was me, I would let this deal go. I think you will get burned if you try to make the buy.
I have bought some things off of that site, some are legit, but some are full blown scams.
One time I ran across a decent deal on that site and as I started to try to make it happen it started getting real shady so I dropped it like a hot potato. First off the guy would never call me even though I asked him many times. Next he lived in South Carolina, but he wanted me to send the money to "his niece" in Texas who was having a baby and he was selling the firearm to help her. The whole deal started out with the guy taking a day to respond to my emails and by the time I dropped it the guy wanted me to wire the money so that "his niece" would have the money asap, because she really needed. Oh, and we had agreed on a price of $475.00 and by the time he was bugging me to wire the money he said to wire $425.00. Never a word was said about a discount, he got mixed up on his scams. Like I said I ran away from that one.
That's my 2 cents worth.
Good luck with your decision, I hope you do not get burned if you pursue it.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
If you have any doubts on any internet deal, just walk away.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Attempted to buy one gun on Armslist and came across some previous ads that made it obvious the deal was a scam. Notified Armslist and received a reply that said that since I had not sent any money there was no foul. I've never been back.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
John,
Sounds like you've got it figured out. Always ftf in a public place.

LOL
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
The dood is still answering emails and in very brief responses, he has no problem with a FTF....I am baffled....and clearly, I am not driving 10 hours to Arlington, VA ....sonofabitch!

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'd run.

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by eh76
My thought is you have been safe so far because you trusted your instincts and have been careful. I say go with what your gut instincts tell you.

He bought a Glock 29 off of me. Obviously his instincts need some work. grin

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I myself would never buy a gun ,that I didn't hold and examine and never will ,I've seen too many guys that get burned.

Nor would I buy a used truck/car I didn't examine and drive..

Last edited by HankStone; 02/16/14.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I got burned on there. Quickly tracked it down to nigerian organized crime. Lady had already sent my payment by the time I had the police find her. Be cautious.

Last edited by Bigcat_hunter; 02/16/14.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

456 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 117LBS, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 12344mag, 40 invisible), 2,916 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,442
Posts18,528,710
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.