Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#8585522 02/15/14
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Northern Firearms on Gunbroker has Mini Mags and Thunderbolts for sale. Mini Mags $89 per brick, Thunderbolts $499 per 5K. I believe shipping is included.

Also win .17HMR Vmax $269 per 1000.

Last edited by Pappy348; 02/15/14.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
$50 per brick for thunderbolts? How is that a good deal?

"The unknowing leading the unwilling to do the unnecessary"

www.dtknives.com
S
S
I'm sure he didn't mean to imply that it was necessarily a good deal. smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Only fools will pay those prices

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dan308

I didn't say it was any kind of a deal. I was simply passing on information about ammo that is available. From what I've read here, some people can't find any ammo at all.

I don't use Thunderbolts and have no idea what they cost. I do use Mini-Mags and the last ones I bought were about $7 a box, so $9 a box, delivered, would seem like a reasonable price if I were out.

$13.50 a box, delivered, seems like a fair price for the Hummers, since Midway charges $12.29, plus shipping, and they don't have any Hummers, period.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Correct me if I'm wrong but mini-mag bricks at $90 is $18 per 100.

The last I bought were HP for $4.99 per.
That was a dollar off of regular price.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I was just trying to see if you were paying attention.

$18 is a little steep. I can almost load Hornets for that.

The last ones I got were at Walmart, about a year ago. Where did you get them for $5?

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bi-Mart.
They did that all the time & HMR for $9.99, before the madness.
HMR can by had for that, on sale again, round here.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
No Bi-Marts in WV, I'm afraid.

Thanks for correcting my math. Just promise me you won't tell anybody.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I go to Walmart at least once a week and I can honestly say that I am beginning to NOT swing by the ammo area (every time) to check ammunition availability. Just getting tired of this supply issue and I have a lot of 22LR on hand anyway that is pre-Nov 2012.

I used to buy some ammo just about every WM visit.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Local sporting goods store had Golden Bullets, Thunderbolts, and Armscor bricks last week. Haven't seen that much 22lr in a long time!

Jason

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Dan308
exactly $35 a brick locally when available

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by slingshot
I go to Walmart at least once a week and I can honestly say that I am beginning to NOT swing by the ammo area (every time) to check ammunition availability. Just getting tired of this supply issue and I have a lot of 22LR on hand anyway that is pre-Nov 2012.

I used to buy some ammo just about every WM visit.

I count myself as one of the lucky ones. Way before the madness I would buy 100-500 rounds of 22lr whenever me and the wife went to Walmart. We would go just about every week and my stockpile grew large pretty quick. I had no idea that we would have a 22lr shortage a few years later. I now have around 10k rounds and feel dam lucky to have it. Went to Bass Pro shop yesterday and they had 50 rounds of Winchester 22lr for $13.50 mad

Reggie

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I too have always been in the habit of buying some extra 22 ammo when it was available, back when prices were reasonable. Just a normal situation to maintain a few thousand rounds at all times.

Picked things up a notch after the last "great 22 shortage", so have no issues at the moment. Tended to pick up some extras on those sorts of fodder that I shoot the most of and on bulk packs for plinking and for those that needed ammo even in times of plenty.

Even 25 years ago when I was range director at our gun club, people would bring kids out to shoot and have one 50 count box of ammo.

Not my bidness to butt in, but if they wanted to shoot some more and mom/dad didn't object, they usually got a bit more ammo to extend the joy.

This'll pizz some off here, but none of the 22 addicts of my acquaintance are fussing about no ammo. Because it's as natural as breathing to have lots of it on hand, always was. Especially that which their favorite firearms are fond of.

Most of those upset over the 22 ammo shortage that I've run into, are the "one brick per year" sorts who didn't know what was going on, until the day they went to buy that brick and couldn't find any.

So in short, those who fancied CCI/SV, Mini Mags, or any other type of ammo, were in the habit of buying multiple bricks or cases, when it was available.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
dube +1!

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I understand what a PITA it is for those many people that want some 22 ammo right now, can empathize with 'em and have a pretty good handle on why it's hard to find. But it's not something that I (and many others) hadn't taken steps to prepare for.

But to some extent it isn't much different than those that don't shoot much, head out the week before deer season and suddenly discover that they can't find that one box of Core Lokts they usually buy each fall.

Some around here were growling back in November that stores had no 30-30, or a few other cartridges that weren't on the shelves as usual. Don't know about anyone else, but I've seldom waited until the last minute to find ammo, long before I began loading most of my own.

Except for one year in the mid 60s when I hadn't planned on hunting deer at all, was getting over a severe cold and got a last minute invite to hunt the first Sat. of the season. Only had a few cartridges for my 32 Special, headed down to the local gunshop Friday night and found one box of RP 170gr HPs on the shelf. Better than nothing, not my first choice.

I have at least three or four boxes of factory loads available for the few rifles which I do not currently load ammo for. No reason not to have that much ammo.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
dube +1!

NO +10, been saying it all along " the day is long gone that you can buy what you want, when you want, for what you want to pay" and x 10 factor that on ammo. Magnum man

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's an analogy that may or may not work for many?

Right now it's impossible to find a bag of rock salt around here, due to the ceaseless winter we've been having. Even water softener salt in all forms, is now gone from most normal sources.

Why? Because we've had one mild winter after another over the past several years and most folks no longer prepare for a bad winter, with lots of snow and ice. So most didn't bother to buy some salt when it was plentiful. Why buy it when there's plenty around if needed?

Now everyone wants rock salt to melt icy driveways and it's not available. Add to that unusual winter conditions in parts of the south and it isn't hard to figure out why there's suddenly an acute shortage of salt. There is no other place that has unused supplies of it, as in previous years.

Just out of habit I usually pick up a few extra 50lb sacks of rock salt in the fall. Some for home, some for use at our gun club's winter events. This year I only got one extra sack for the club, figuring there was one left over from last winter. Then some dingbat squandered almost half a bag on the first ice situation, using far more than was needed. I had most of a bag left at home from last winter, so didn't buy more for home.

Anyway, we went from an adequate supply to a shortage now that we've had one storm after another here. My fault, didn't fall into my usual habit of making sure there was some backup while there was still plenty of salt at Lowe's and Home Depot. It's always been my nature to plan ahead and not get caught short. This year I failed in that regard, salt-wise.

I'm also one of them dumbasses that fills a pail or two with water in expectation of power failure during an impending storm. Always has plenty of candles and batteries on hand, etc.

whistle

Same reasoning is likely why many have 22 ammo, despite the current shortage problems. They know they're gonna use it, so when it was available at a good price, they bought enough to last quite awhile. A lesson learned from the last time it became scarce.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Finally saw a few bricks and 50 round boxes at my local gunshop yesterday. I saw about 4 full bricks of Remy Thunderduds and 5 half bricks of Winchester. He was asking $50.00 for the Remys and $25.00 for the Win. 222 half bricks, had some loose Thunderduds of 50 rd. boxes, $5.00.

It is nice to actually see and hold a brick of .22's after all this time, I did not buy any as I am ok for now with what I have in stock, and I don't shoot .22's much these days. Was a bit shocked to see Thunderduds going for fifty bucks, but better than an empty shelf.

Last edited by HE112; 02/19/14.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
22 lr Ammo Makers are following the Jimmy Carter Gas Prices scandal , Make a Shortage Crises and then raise the prices and never let them go back down . Just another organised scam to get prices up for rimfire ammo and to keep them there .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

225 members (12344mag, 280rem_cm, 35, 2UP, 44mc, 375TN, 21 invisible), 1,651 guests, and 1,033 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,485,967
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.