#858936 05/15/06
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
HI

I don't want to read about how to find the big bulls. I dont' want to read about this or that hunt or example etc...
I want a book that tells what they do year round and why.

I figure if I can find the elk period, I can find what I need under most circumstances. IE find the elk and then if I have a cow, or bull or whatever tag that will sort itself out.

Seems like most books are geared to bulls or big bulls. And as I'll be mostly hunting MZ or Archery seasons, what they do after the rut isn't as important, BUT I would like to know what they do year round anyway.

Thanks for any input.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Try "North American Elk: Ecology and management" by Dale Toweill and Jack Ward Thomas. This is the updated second edition of the first "elk bible" Elk of North America by Jack Thomas and Dale Toweill.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jeff, "Elk Country" by Valerius Geist is as good a natural history as you can find IMO...

http://www.rmef.org/bugle/pages/05MJ/MurieAward.html

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
rost495. My experience is that finding out what they do year round helps, but you need to find out what they do, and where they go in your particluar area. Especially when hunters start moving them. it's usually harder to outwit the other hunters than the elk.

Archery , you have more of a chance to picking up the rut at the tail of the saeson, where as in MZ season, it usually comes tad earlier than full rut, in Colorado

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Vince

Hear ya on the pressure, but being we'll be ahead of season by a number of days(you got my email yesterday I hope??) I need to find out where to look in the first place. Then go to all the generalities of where they might go if spooked.

IE I think I need to know more about the basics before I get to the specialized. Foundation before the house if you will.

No need in finding an escape route if before season opens if the elk are not even in the area to start with right?

Brad-- thanks, I'll see if I can find that book. I'm tired of reading stories of big bulls and etc..... thats why I have magazine subscriptions, to sit and dream. Right now I need to educate. I intend, if I get the cow tag, to make a success of my first ever MZ season and nail a cow. Last time I hunted was probably circa 89 or so with a bow.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Jeff,

Here's some online info you might enjoy: [color:"blue"] Elk Behavior and Habits [/color]

Nerf

Nerf
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Nerf, thanks!
Brad, found the book on amazon and ordered.
Vince, thanks for all the info as usual.

Might not see a dang thing but at least should be looking in the right place.

Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I'm getting into something "new" I try to "do my homework," just like you are. Reading as much as possible, both online, and from the bookstore. Talking to people and looking at maps, callins Biologists, trying to assess what new gear to get..... All the stuff you are doing. I think you can't get enough info. You are on the right track. Keep it up. You are going to have a great trip.

Mark

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (06hunter59, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 222Sako, 59 invisible), 2,461 guests, and 1,439 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,173
Posts18,484,607
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.