Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1B Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Used gun that I just bought as a deer gun and bedsider.

It has a 20" rifled barrel and looks its age -- serial # Mag-8700120XX, so mid-80s? -- but it functions smoothly. Has been used a lot but cared for judging by the clean state of things and some honest knocks. It is scoped with a Weaver CK 2.5 -- a newer, post US manufacture, model -- it failed the magnet test.

I'll have to redo the butt stock as the finish is peeling in some areas and it has shallow scratches that need attention too.
I'll also lose the white spacers during that project.

Couple of questions.

Anyone using commercial slugs in a similar Ithaca that shoot good groups and perform well on deer?

I don't have much faith in the scope but will give it a try. Suggestions on a good reliable slug gun scope are welcome but I may also explore peep sight options.

Thanks in advance,
1B

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
a friend has the rifled ithaca.He loves hornady SST's.

When i bought a hastings barrel.For an 870 i bought 2 boxes of the different sabots and found lightfields and sst's to be most accurate.

In the end i prefer smoothbore and winchester rifled slugs.

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have had great luck with the old Federal Premium load with the Barnes slug.
This was out of my Benelli and Remington slug barrels though.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Couple of questions.

Anyone using commercial slugs in a similar Ithaca that shoot good groups and perform well on deer?

In my rifled barrel Ithaca 87 I tried Winchester Foster 2 3/4 in
slugs at 1600fps, Winchester BRI sabots, The Nosler Partition load and some Remington Accutip? slugs. The Fosters were the least accurate but very workable at 100 yards [4"-3 shot].
The Noslers shot the best groups but I only shot a few due to their cost. Slug barrels are pretty darn load specific and the slugs shot to different points of aim. For deer I would try the Hornady's as they have a good reputation.

I don't have much faith in the scope but will give it a try. Suggestions on a good reliable slug gun scope are welcome but I may also explore peep sight options.

A Leupold Scout scope mounted in Millet or other all steel .22 rimfire rings on the barrel is my preference. I have been gifted a Redfield variable pistol scope that has good eye relief when mounted on the barrel. I will be trying it out on the rifled barrel as I am due to draw a tag in a "no centerfire doe hunt".
SWFA and Midway both sell some variable power scout scopes if you want to shoot past 150 yards you might find them helpful.
The Weaver may work fine but being mounted on the action will tend to promote poorer groupa than a barrel mount.

Thanks in advance,
1B [/quote]

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
scrap shooting fosters down a rifled barrel.the foster was designed for smooth bore while the sabot is designed for the rifled barrel.

hornady SST's have good accuracy reputation but i find a 50/50 following for killing deer.Some say lights out great others say they don't expand.

yes rifled barrels tend to be load specific.No real way around it other then buying couple boxes of each and to the range.and 10-18 a box it's an investment.i have seen real good results from hunting parttner that uses the lightfields.

my ithaca 37 deerslayer with win fosters give two touching holes at 65 yards. i know odd sight in but that is the longest shot possible from the stand it was used in.and fosters are alot cheaper.But you already have a rifled barrel so you might as well use it.

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

707 members (12344mag, 17Hunter, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 153, 74 invisible), 3,024 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,978
Posts18,480,823
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.