Print Thread
Hop To
E
EFrench Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
E
I am looking at a new build in 7.62 and have zero'd in on the Mega MATEN MKM. Are there any reasons that I should not go this route?

I am not a competition shooter and am dabbling in longer range precision shooting. I currently have a 6.5 Grendel and love it. Looking for a larger platform to further explore.

I was enamored by a REPR but I want to do the build from ground up. Also impressed with the JP-07 but again, I am looking for the full experience. (I really like the side charging handle on both of these!)

I have seen the sales pitches and the pictures, but looking for real reviews. Tell me why I shouldn't go this route?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No reason not to if you want to build one. IMO, they are the best receiver set available for the .308AR platform.

If you want to just buy one, the JP LRP-07 is an awesome rifle.

I built my .308 based off MEGA receivers. I wanted to be able to hand pick the components to make the rifle light enough to hunt with yet still maintain best accuracy possible. I got exactly what I wanted but it wasn't cheap and took me 2 years to complete.

[Linked Image]
DSC_9602 by X Ring, on Flickr

Last edited by CBMJR; 02/03/14.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have two builds on Mega uppers and lowers

Great products

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
E
EFrench Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Great reviews and endorsements. I really like the JP-07 side charge handle, but I can't see where I can buy components, short of a complete upper or rifle.

CBMJR, what did you use for a barrel and trigger? How well does she shoot? What are your thought regarding the receiver mounted hand guard vs. the standard barrel nut mount?

tedthorn, did you build a MKM?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I don't know about the side charge handles but it is my opinion that on the Smith MP10 that I own it is worrysome to charge the rifle with the standard charging handle, it is a long pull, and I fear I will side load the bar and break it. It requires me to focus more than charging a 223. A side charge handle is a consideration. Other than that I like the Smith 308 caliber rifle, which I am sure should not even be in the same room as the Mega Maten etc and other high dollar 308's. For my use however 1 MOA or so is good enough for my hunting and shooting.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got my barrel from Lilja. Its a 20" barrel, .750" under the handguards and in front of the gas block. Trigger is a Geissele SSA-E. I like the look of the MKM uppers but thats what you are getting, the look. As far as function goes, I really don't think you gain anything. That is strictly personal preference depending on what handguard you want to use. I am happy with mine and the JP handguard as its light weight and a simple design. For accuracy, the times I have been on the bench or really trying for best accuracy, I have squeezed out several 1/2" groups and smaller. From prone, im usually good for 3/4 MOA. It really likes my 178 AMAX load though. I have yet to shoot that load into anything larger than 3/4 MOA.

Here is a target from 400 yards with the 178 AMAX.

[Linked Image]
Group from .308 AR. by X Ring, on Flickr

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My gunsmith just finished my MATEN in 308. With a lot of help from CBMJR about various parts, I believe the rifle will be exactly what I wanted in a 308 gas gun. I used the Mega set, including the supplied hand guard and the Lilja barrel. Couple years ago I had him build me a 223 using their receiver set, turned out very nice too. Can't go wrong with their uppers and lowers.

Last edited by John55; 02/05/14.
E
EFrench Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Originally Posted by John55
My gunsmith just finished my MATEN in 308. With a lot of help from CBMJR about various parts, I believe the rifle will be exactly what I wanted in a 308 gas gun. I used the Mega set, including the supplied hand guard and the Lilja barrel. Couple years ago I had him build me a 223 using their receiver set, turned out very nice too. Can't go wrong with their uppers and lowers.

Are you using the MKM receivers?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Yep.

Last edited by John55; 02/05/14.
E
EFrench Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Woo Hoo!!! I think I found the last one on the planet! I ordered the set with the extended rifle rail. I was very impressed with StoneFire out of Washington. Patiently spent some time educating me. It is amazing that they had one in stock!

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (35, 41rem, 007FJ, 6mmCreedmoor, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 10 invisible), 1,506 guests, and 880 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,312
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.