Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
rod44 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I will be traveling to Ohio and staying in a motel a couple nights. I know that there is no reciprosity agreement between Ohio and WI and that I can't carry concealed. How can I legally transport my pistol in the car and into the motel room? I was thinking with a gun lock in a case??

Anyone REALLY know?

J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
To be completely 'safe' I would suggest placing it, unloaded, in a case in the trunk.

In all honesty, like everything else, it depends on the officer/deputy/trooper who you may come in contact with. Personally, if I can plainly see the person is a law-abiding citizen, with no known history, or no 'alerts' when I run his name/dob, and most importantly, I don't get that little 'tingle' telling me something is wrong, I could care less if he is carrying openly, concealed, on his front seat, ect.

On the flip side, I know guys whom, if you told them you had a locked, unloaded handgun in the trunk, would want to pull you out of the car, search it, detain you, search your various body cavities, then write you tickets until their hands cramped.

As I tell my subordinates, you can never go wrong using your gut, and some common sense.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ohio law says the gun must be "in a case", (doesn't say 'locked'), must be unloaded, and the ammunition cannot be in the same container with the gun.
It also has to be in the trunk or otherwise inaccessable to the driver and passengers. I suppose that in a pickup or station wagon, it would be somewhere behind the seat or otherwise out of reach.
IIRC, if all else fails, it can be transported in the open, if it is unloaded and the action open. I would expect a hassle over this one, though.

Myron

Edit: I think the law actually says "closed container" rather than specifying a case.

Last edited by speedsixman; 02/19/14.

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)
rod44 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Just stay out of Ohio.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tip926
Just stay out of Ohio.

GFY'all

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Here you go - not just Ohio but every state. A great info source.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

91 members (35, 69sportfury, AdventureBound, 6mmCreedmoor, 6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 7 invisible), 1,458 guests, and 884 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,514
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.