-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
four years ago. Last year I had a few peaches on one tree and they all got brown rot. I googled 'brown rot in peaches' and the only way to get rid of it for certain is to move off and leave it.

If they don't produce this year they're going into the lake of fire. Reading on spraying and what it would cost I can drive 70 miles to Clanton and buy peaches with a lot less effort and money.

Anybody here familiar with this problem in peaches? Woody???

J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I don't think I get brown rot, but I have never had luck with my two peach trees. At, what should be harvest time, you look at them, and they look delicious. Cut or bite into them, and they aren't ripe inside at all. Strange. Though, I admit, I have never taken them time to work with them either, aside from pruning each spring.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not experienced the brown rot fungus because the danged squirrels eat every single one of mine right when they start to ripe. Really frustrating. Apples too. But I have seen entire SC orchards cleared because of the rot. They even burn some of it.

Birds discovered the cherries last year,

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Nope...not in my part of the woods. My peach only gives me peaches every few years. Many years it's early blooms, or new fruit get frozen off. I sure enjoy the years I get peaches!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had brown rot one year when I didn't spray them with a Fungicide early like you're supposed to.. You need to hit em with that "Copper" fungicide by now if you haven't...

What kills mine is the Tree Borers... I can't get a tree to live past about 6 years before the borers kill it, no matter what I do.

I've basically given up on peaches, I'll make a drive to get some instead of fighting Mother Nature...

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Had brown rot one year when I didn't spray them with a Fungicide early like you're supposed to.. You need to hit em with that "Copper" fungicide by now if you haven't...

What kills mine is the Tree Borers... I can't get a tree to live past about 6 years before the borers kill it, no matter what I do.

I've basically given up on peaches, I'll make a drive to get some instead of fighting Mother Nature...

I may be right behind you so don't slam on your brakes. wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by byc
Not experienced the brown rot fungus because the danged squirrels eat every single one of mine right when they start to ripe. Really frustrating. Apples too. But I have seen entire SC orchards cleared because of the rot. They even burn some of it.

Birds discovered the cherries last year,

Yep.
Tree rats clean me out too,usually a week or two before they ripen. One tree usually has hundreds of peaches on it and I yet to have one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mickey,
Brown rot is a tuffy and takes repeated sprayings especially during high humidity.We get fairly good results spraying a lime sulfur dormant spray and then straight Captan at two week intervals right up to a few days before harvest.Yes its a PITA for sure but nothing like a fresh peach off the tree as our shipped in crop tastes like cardboard.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I set out 3 trees once. The second year they all bloomed, but I only got 1 peach. It was the best peach I ever tasted. All 3 trees died the following year. A friend who lives near Clanton told me they won't grow this far south since most winters aren't cold enough for the trees to go dormant. I almost planted some more to try and prove him wrong, but opted for satsumas instead!

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
[Linked Image]
It may have been beginner's luck, this young tree did well last summer.
No promises as to the future.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444

We got some last year, I think it was at Choteau. Very good. Got a watermelon too, but let it sit around too long and had to put it out of its misery with my Governor. It made a spectacular red mist though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
no experience with it but just planted my first peach tree last spring.....not even sure yet if its gonna survive the winter as we still have snow on the ground but it was looking nice and healthy going into dormancy last fall.....pretty certain the tree will live, real question will be if it will produce fruit here....our late frosts are rough on early blooming fruits like peaches....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mickey,
Probably the most overlooked procedure for spraying would be the lack of using a good wetting agent of some sort with the fungicide.As we all know peach,apple and many other varieties have smooth shiny leaves therefore a wetter needs to be added to reduce surface tension for additional coverage..I have never used liquid dish soap as an additive as many TV kooks suggest which causes more residual damage than good....W

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I found that here it is way cheaper to buy than spray for brown rot. Arkansas peaches do better at the higher elevations like Crowleys Ridge or in the Mountains. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Check with your local Extension Agent. They should have a spray schedule. It typically requires spraying every week to 10 days with recommended fungicides/insecticides to produce quality fruit free of Brown Rot and curculio. Copper fungicides are used in the fall to reduce Bacterial Canker but they will knock the leaves off or burn them if they are leafing out. Also plan to thin the small fruit (smaller than thumb) to 6 inches apart for good size/quality.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
growing up we had a peach tree that grew from a discarded peach pit and produced an abundance of peaches every year so I thought growing peaches was pretty easy. We never touched it the entire time.

I've had a tree I grew from a sapling going on 7 years now and I get maybe 10 peaches on it now and none of them make it to ripe.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (219DW, 1234, 2500HD, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1minute, 57 invisible), 2,432 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,796
Posts18,496,236
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.