Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
US Army SERE School at Ft Bragg has been butchering chickens and rabbits on the same wooden 2x4 tables for decades, they are meticulously cleaned (by the students of course) afterwards. Folks don't get sick. No UHMWP required.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
And exactly what does that prove what about the virtues of wood versus synthetic?

As I pointed out earlier, various studies have come to various conclusions, and overall there is no consensus.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anson,
I inspect restaurants for the Virginia Department of Health. For commercial kitchens we allow the use of plastic or wood. If you are using wood it needs to be a hard wood and it has to be sealed. Once the board starts to develop cracks it needs to be replaced since you will be unable to sanitize into the cracks. For the plastic boards replace them when the stains are not removed when you sanitize it. Whether you use wood or plastic make sure wash the board with hot soapy water, rinse the soap off and then sanitize the board with your choice of sanitizer, i.e. bleach (50-100 ppm), quaternary ammonia (200-400 ppm), or iodine (few use anymore because of the cost and staining).

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
barm,

Very interesting. What's the definition of "sealed" wood?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mule Deer,

"Sealed" means free of cracks or other openings that permit the entry or passage of moisture.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A large plastic surface is handy, and when new, plastic is a good surface, but plastic is abrasive to knife edges, and in use, plastic gets sliced quickly and becomes progressively harder to clean and sterilize. ( I use a brush with detergent and water and final bleach wetting/soaking for 20 minutes.)

Hard wood butcher block has some benefits. For clean-up, brushing with detergent and bleach works just as well. But at some point, when the surface gets chewed up, the entire top surface can be sanded down with a vibratory sander and oiled and restored to a new condition. Plastic can't.

Sharp knife edges last longer on wood. It does need to be hard wood and Maple is a good choice because it has a tight grain.

I use both plastic and wood in combination. I don't like to cut on plastic, but a large plastic panel for prep, and 2-3 or more smaller 2'x2'x3/4" or 1" wooden cutting boards on top of it for cutting and cleaving meat, and one for veggies. I have a few of them handy. I have a large butcher block table in the kitchen, but I still cut on the smaller units on top of it.

If they get too chewed I sand them down, or burn them and start over.

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
hdpe is available in 4x8 sheets,last time I checked it was around $150,although that has been about 5 years ago.
that is for 1/2 thick,with a textured surface.

we used to cut the sheets into 16x12 pieces for cutting boards for our kitchens.

A little router work and the edges are rounded and a blood groove cut .
I can make them any size,if anyone is interested.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought a couple of white plastic boards at Sams club a few years back. I don't remember the price but they were reasonable. They are big enough for me but I am only doing deer quarters. I am away from home so can not measure them. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Be it rifle stocks or cutting boards, wood will always come in second place.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Get yourself the biggest piece of HDPE that is practical for your arrangement. You don't need 1" thick unless you want to make a table out of it.

http://www.eplastics.com/HDPE_Sheet

This is the best way to go in my opinion. Depending on the size you buy the material is dishwasher safe also.

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Be it rifle stocks or cutting boards, wood will always come in second place.

Some of us have more wood than others!

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I use this I picked up free from a job I was doing
I also have the white plastic in a more manageable size and weight

[Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
'What do they use for food prep at SERE school?'

This question weighs heavily on the mind of butchers and chefs, around the globe.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
mesquite is good

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just got some bamboo cutting boards from bed bath and beyond.

The meat dosen't slide around as easily as plastic.

Wife processes chickens for her pet food business on these and is very happy with them.

Virgil B.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
www.mcmaster.com has about any size HDPE you could want, length/width/thickness

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MILES58
I snagged a conference room table top for deer camp. It's formica and 4 feet by 10 feet oval. It cleans up nicely with soapy water and bleach and has enough room for everyone to have a work space and keeps the beer from getting knocked over. We just set it on top of a 22 cubic foot chest freezer and it's about perfect. More room is way better than less. A smaller one, like 3x3 or so would maybe be better for one person, maybe not. I have one like you describe and a 2 foot by 3 foot formica for use at home on the kitchen table when I butcher there, but those are barel OK for doing one leg/shoulder at a time

more or less what we do....swiped a formica table top from somewhere that is the same size as our kitchen table.....works well when there are several people or one, just sit or stand around the table as is individual preference and work....no worrying bout stuff sliding off a cutting board..

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by kend
Solid surface countertop scraps if you know someone in that business. I have a large white plastic cutting board that I got somewhere.

Works great if you don't mind trashing your knives on it.

aint trashing a knife if a couple swipes with a butchers steel brings them back to sharp smirk

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Whelen Nut
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Synthetics are cheaper, tougher and hold up better to chlorine (bleach) treatment.

AND you can put them in the dishwasher.

WN

A synthetic is easier to keep clean. We used to wet them down, cover with paper towel and pour bleach on the paper towel. Leave it overnight and wash off in the morning. Block will be snow white and clean. I wouldn't do this with maple or use hardwood for serious meat cutting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by kend
Solid surface countertop scraps if you know someone in that business. I have a large white plastic cutting board that I got somewhere.

Works great if you don't mind trashing your knives on it.

True this. Counter top will turn a knife edge in just a couple passes. It's made hard for a reason.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (1OntarioJim, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 219DW, 1234, 56 invisible), 2,364 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,801
Posts18,496,290
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.