-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Tomorrow, I'm meeting a guy to take a look at a 39a he has for sale. Aside from the obvious things to inspect for problems like bluing, wood cracks, pitted barrel and such, is there anything I should be looking for that are known issues with these Marlins? He did mention that the front sight hood is missing, but I assume I can pick one of those up.

I've only looked at a few other than my father's, so I'm looking for advice before I buy.

Any and all help is appreciated!

Chris

GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Rolltide: I own 4 Marlin 39's in various models.
I love them, but, I am NO expert on them!
I do not know of any INHERENT or recurring problems with them.
How about coming up with a 22 L.R. snap cap or plastic action proving round and testing the trigger, the firing pin, the extraction, the feeding and ejection features all for function?
The first thing I always do when inspecting a Rifle is hold the Rifle up towards the sunlight or a bright room light and look down the outside of the barrel looking for rings or bulges.
I came within an eyelash of buying a beautiful Winchester pump 22 Rifle about 35 years ago - it had a bulge/ring in its octagon barrel and I only caught it at the last second.
I am glad I saw it as I was at a gunshow far from home!
I pointed out the bulge/ring and made sure that the owner/peddler knew why I was NOT buying the Rifle and how much I did not appreciate him not informing me of the flaw!
Be careful and don't hesitate to ask the owner if there are any known "drawbacks" in the Rifles performance or component parts.
Yes front sight hoods are easy to find for the 39's.
Best of luck to you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Check to be sure the ejector is there and is spring loaded, it can fall out or get mangled

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I do not know when the rebounding hammer appeared, but it is a turn off for me.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
If you need that sighthood (both old round ones or newer "wide scan" models), you can find them here:

marlinsighthoods.com

Give me land, lots of land, under starry skies above. Don't fence me in.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
older production is better imho

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Depends on your priorities, what you are looking for.

Generally, pre-Remington are preferred. Look for the JM proof mark, not REM on the barrel. Some prefer those made prior to the addition of a safety. Earlier ones have a slimmer tapered barrel. Later ones, like my 1978 built 39A, have a heavier barrel, which I prefer. Some have a fatter forearm than others.

39As, especially the more desired ones, are getting pricey. Hope yours is a good deal.

You might also check the Marlin owners' forum.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 204guy, 1Longbow, 1OntarioJim, 52 invisible), 2,446 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,308
Posts18,487,182
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.