-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I found his web site poor, and in this day and age that is an important first impression.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MGM

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Siskiyous6, Thank you. I mentioned David Smith and knew it didn't sound right. You are correct, it's White. He did a Encore trigger job for me and did an excellent job.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by siskiyous6
JDJ - no offense but I just did not like his attitude, might be my problem not his. I know he was unloved on this forum to a huge extent at one time.

I have only a VERY little experience with J.D. Jones: I must have caught him on one of his GROUCHY days. He flat out refused to build me a 6.5 Jap. He kept telling me I'd be better off with the 6.5 JDJ. I'll not dispute that the 6.5 JDJ may be a better platform, but I don't WANT one. I WANT a 6.5 Jap. He basically told me to do it his way of forget it. FWIW: My desire for a Jap is because I have numerous boxes of ammo, brass and dies. I use my .225 Win brass in my .225 Win. smile

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Siskiyous6, Thank you. I mentioned David Smith and knew it didn't sound right. You are correct, it's White. He did a Encore trigger job for me and did an excellent job.

Dave White does nice work.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I think Bellm uses some MGM tubes as well. I'm sure he recommends them. He does use Bergara barrels, mostly, and chambers them and cuts and crowns them himself, which alleviates 99.9% of the common accuracy issues with TC tubes...per Bellm. I have a 356/358 from him that I love. Everyone that does good work, does good work. Pick your poison.

B
B
J.D Jones, by far the best. Have used the others but JDs work is stellar. Your fault if
he was grouchy. Knowledge and honesty is his trade mark in my mind.

Bob B

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
MGM made a 30/40 k contender barrel that just plain shoots well.
No need to AI with a 30/40 k.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Of those three, I'd use Bullberry or JDJ. Mike has lots of good ideas for the Contender and Encore platforms, but sometime he's answering questions that aren't asked until he starts messing with stuff. A quality barrel from Bullberry, JDJ, or MGM would fit the bill nicely.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Bellm is arogant but does good work.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MGM

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've got tubes from MGM, TC, SSK, and a Bellm/Bergara...

What stood out to me was MGM's really friendly service, AND

my least favorite thing about the Encore is, most scope bases
that I've seen or tried don't really please me - except SSK's
T'SOB. It is a work of art in my eyes!

JD was reasonably agreeable the one time I talked to him, ordering my barrel, but I understood that it was his way or forget it. Luckily, he likes the 9.3x74R and was happy to build me a barrel, even asked me if I needed dies or brass.
My SSK barrel is blued too - amazing job. I've often thought
"this is what blueing USED to be like on quality guns"
not like the dull crud on most of my other rifles.

Last edited by jeffdwhite; 02/20/14.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I have had custom Contender barrels from SSK, Bullberry, On Target Technologies and Virgin Valley Custom Guns (now MGM). All met my expectations in terms of quality and accuracy.

I have had SSK Rechamber a Factory .30 Herrett Contender Barrel to .30-30 Ackley Improved. It too met my expectations for accuracy.

Larry

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Another recommendation for MGM. I have 2 and both are excellent.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by siskiyous6
I found his web site poor,

Whose web site?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In the time it would take you to order and actually receive a custom barrel, you could most likely find an original T/C barrel. Then all you need is a reamer. I've been watching T/C barrels come and go on various sites for the last several months. I do believe I've seen 2 or 3 30-30 barrels during this time frame. Don't forget to check in with Ed's either. He very well could have one in stock.

Here's one on GunBroker:
T/C 30-30 Carbine on GunBroker

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Couple years back, ordered a frame complete with trigger job from Hendershot...he was excellent to deal with.

I then ordered a SS 243 barrel from MGM. They were very good to deal with and have a very good reputation in quality and accuracy. The MGM scope bases are very good too. They accidentally sent me a SS base instead of the blue that I had ordered. They sent the right one out immediately and told me to just keep the SS one. That's pretty good service I thought. The barrel didn't care for any of the cheap stuff, but shoots tsx bullets very well. Bullberry was my second choice, but their lead times were pretty long though. A buddy of mine has had pretty good luck with them.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Bellm has done some amazing work for me and a friend, he knows his stuff. Has his Phd in how to do stuff the right way if you want extreme accuracy.

Another's knowledge did not get me very far in putting together a custom 221FB on a TC contender. I sent him the very best barrel and received a barrel with a chamber extremely sloppy. I had not a monsterous bulge on the case but HUGE bulge on the case that made it look like it was going to rupture. Also, the leade was so long that I could not touch the lands with a 69g Sierra.

Lots of gunsmith's can talk the talk, but the follow through with their own investment with their tooling is where the integrity will show it's self.

On another note, if you had to deal with a lot of ignorant dumb [bleep], you would have a bad attitude also.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by tripleshock
Bellm is arogant but does good work.

Have not worked with Mike, but if he's a perfectionist and maybe somewhat eccentric, that may be enterpreted by some as arrogance. Just saying. Those can often be the characteristics of a master craftsman.

I've had excellent barrels from Bullberry and found JDJ to be helpful and friendly. Maybe it was on a good day... smile

DF

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Mike Bellm is the master in his field. Ego aside, his contribution to the shooting sports in regard to break-action single shots can be slighted by none. Jones is great, as is Reeder. But Bellm and his cohort David White in Oklahoma can match work by all of them at a much more reasonable rate!

...making America shoot straight again.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

180 members (280shooter, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 19 invisible), 1,633 guests, and 932 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,335
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.