Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

That may be but since my maximum distance would be 300 yards, do I really need to be concerned with high BC bullets? I mean wouldn't I be more likely to get an accurate load being able to kiss the lands, or is the point that those bullets that will kiss won't stabilize with the 1 in 10 twist?

Trying to learn something here.

A couple thoughts

Nosler manual #7
243 Winchester, 100 gr. Partition (similar to typical cup and core in ballistic co-efficient)
BC: .384
MV, 2900 FPS
200 yd. zero 1.7� high @ 100 yds., 7.3� low at 300.
7mm-08, 140 gr. Accubond (my favorite in the 7mm-08)
BC:.485
MV: 2800 fps
200 yd. zero, 1.8� high @ 100 yds., 7.7� low at 300.. I�
I don�t know how the terrain is in your part of Alabama, but here it is thick. That taken with the fact that I am a meat hunter I almost never shoot past 300 yds. Additionally due to the fact that if an animal is not DRT, he many times is not found. A hole going in and one going out gives one two chances to find a blood trail. Conseqently I prefer a heavier bullet, usually 6.5 mm and up for hogs and deer.
Now as to kissing the lands.
It is my understanding that the chambers on production rifles are cut to SAAMI specs. Factory ammo is also loaded to SAAMI Specs. That means that any commercial ammo should chamber in any production rifle of the same caliber. I�ve owned many rifles from A to Z. It has been my experience on most that if one was to load the bullet out to where it kissed the lands, sometimes the base of the bullet does not even touch the case, much less fit in the rifles magazine. Typically magazine length is the most common limiting factor.
Here is an example.

This is the detachable magazine for a Sako 75 Varmint, chambered for the 260 Remington. Sakos are generally accurate and their chambers are not known for sloppiness. Notice the Maximum OAL of the cartridge that can be loaded in the magazine is 2.940. I don't know how you are, but I prefer to have a little wiggle room in the magazine/cartridge box.

[Linked Image]

The SAAMI max OAL cartridge length for the 260 Remington is 2.800�. I�ve developed a load for my Sako at 2.900 inches. This particular cartridge measures 2.902.

[Linked Image]

If I do my part the Sako will put three in a ragged hole at 100 yds.

[Linked Image]

Next, using my Stoney Point OAL gauge and a 125 gr. Nosler Partition, here is the cartridge �kissing the lands�

[Linked Image]
As you can see, to load this round with the bullet �kissing the lands , the rifle would have to function as a single shot.

Good hunting and best of luck with whatever you choose.

Best,

GWB

Thank you very much sir for the tutorial. I really need to learn a few things about reloading. Basically trying to buy the cart before I know the size of the horse.

HR IC

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
It was admittedly funnier than [bleep] schit and I especially enjoyed:

"It has been my experience on most that if one was to load the bullet out to where it kissed the lands, sometimes the base of the bullet does not even touch the case"

Where do these incredibly inept dumbfhukks come from?!?

Wow.

Like watching a Jerry Lewis Telethon.

Laffin'!

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Clark, given the parameters you have stated, the wife and kids and you don't reload. I'm guessing you haven't done a lot of shooting or hunting (not a slam). I'd pick the 243 over the 223 and the 7-08, and not worry about all the rest.

Added - I wouldn't pick a Montana for a first rifle either.

Good luck with your choice.

AJD

Last edited by AJD; 02/21/14.

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Jeezus [bleep]...it just got even better!

Just WOW.

Where do you Day Dreaming Do Nothing Dumbfhukks come from?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'd rather go with a 243 w/ a105 than a 7-08 w/ a 120. But, I'd rather go with a 7-08 w/120 than a 243 w/ anything but a 105.

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
RHC,

Just fer� schitz n� giggles.

Here is a very accurate Winchester model 70 push feed (post 64), chambered for the 270 Winchester. It has a Shilen select chrome moly barrel that has been fitted to the action. So it is not a �stock� chamber.

[Linked Image]

Here is the kind of accuracy it is capable of.

[Linked Image]

Two shots only you say. Once I�ve developed a load and have zero�d the rifle, I�m much more interested in where the first shot out of a cold barrel is going to impact. In this case the rifle was shot once, then about an hour later it was shot again to confirm POI vs. POA. With this in mind before I go afield, I�m confident.

Here is the measurement on the cartridge box.

[Linked Image]

The SAAMI max OAL cartridge length is given at 3.340�. My go to load in this rifle is with a 130 Gr. Nosler Ballistic tip with an OAL of3.355 or .015� over max, and no where near �kissing� the lands��

[Linked Image]

To �kiss� the COAL would be 3.547, well in excess of the Max length that would fit in the magazine. Once again if you wanted a single shot, that would be no problem except����.

[Linked Image]

To kiss the lands you would have only about .220� of purchase on the bullet by my measurement. IIRC one should have at least one cartridge diameter purchase or in this case, .277� of the bullet inside the case. Concentricity is a factor in accuracy and a mis-aligned bullet can cause you grief.

I know it might be heresy to say so, but after20 years of reloading, I don�t worry about kissing the lands other than to make sure the rifle�s chamber will accept rounds loaded to SAAMI book length. At my zenith I had reloading dies for 57 different centerfire cartridges between 17 ackley hornet and 458 Lott. Most all were started near �book� OAL.

The Kimber Motana in the caliber you choose will be a hunting gun, not a high dollar bench rest gun. It will have a commercial chamber. Factory ammo will do 1.5� at 100 yds or better. I�d be willing to bet that 90% of your shots will be 200 yds or less. Go out, kill stuff, enjoy the meat and don�t look back.

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
IIRC one should have at least one cartridge diameter purchase or in this case

I've heard this rule too, but it makes loading anything for the .300 Winchester Mag impossible. which makes me skeptical of the rule, bc my .300 win mag seem to work pretty well (other than the excessive noise & recoil ...).

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by AJD
Clark, given the parameters you have stated, the wife and kids and you don't reload. I'm guessing you haven't done a lot of shooting or hunting (not a slam). I'd pick the 243 over the 223 and the 7-08, and not worry about all the rest.

AJD

Thanks but I own several very nice rifles and have killed truck loads of deer with factory ammo. I do plan to start reloading and I do shoot more smallbore than centerfire. I don't need a rifle. I just want an ultralight weight that I can play with and that is well capable of deer at 200 or under yards. I thought a 243 was a good idea but Boxer has me thinking about heavier bullets in a 223 since they would only be 10-15 grains lighter than what I would shoot in the 243 anyway and use less powder, recoil less and give longer barrel life.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AJD

AJD

Thanks but I own several very nice rifles and have killed truck loads of deer with factory ammo. I do plan to start reloading and I do shoot more smallbore than centerfire. I don't need a rifle. I just want an ultralight weight that I can play with and that is well capable of deer at 200 or under yards. I thought a 243 was a good idea but Boxer has me thinking about heavier bullets in a 223 since they would only be 10-15 grains lighter than what I would shoot in the 243 anyway and use less powder, recoil less and give longer barrel life.
Outfit yourself for loading your own ammo before buying a new rifle. It'll make all the ones you currently have more interesting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
RHC,

If going the .223 route, twist will be important. On the Kimber's (1-9), it seems to be hit or miss on whether they'll stabilize the 75gr. A-Max.

Unfortunately, my Montana is a miss with the A-Max. I've got some 69gr. Scenars and 62gr. TSX I'm going to test this weekend in the Montana.

If nothing else, the 55gr. TTSX shoots very well in my rifle, and kills deer and feral hogs with aplomb! grin

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by n8dawg6

I've heard this rule too, but it makes loading anything for the .300 Winchester Mag impossible. which makes me skeptical of the rule, bc my .300 win mag seem to work pretty well (other than the excessive noise & recoil ...).

Sir,
respectfully

here is a 300 Win Mag factory cartridge, 150 gr. Tipped Barnes bullet. COAL is 3.305" SAAMI Max is 3.340OAL.

[Linked Image]

Note the pix. there are two markings on the 150 gr. Ballistic tip (green tip). The mark closest to the tip is COAL 3.340" the second closest to the case mouth is 3.305". This would allow for a minimum of .490" of bullet purchase, significantly more than .308"

The second bullet is a 200 grain Nosler Accubond. By my measurement there will be approx. .813" of bullet inside the case at a COAL of 3.340".

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by FOsteology
RHC,

If going the .223 route, twist will be important. On the Kimber's (1-9), it seems to be hit or miss on whether they'll stabilize the 75gr. A-Max.

Unfortunately, my Montana is a miss with the A-Max. I've got some 69gr. Scenars and 62gr. TSX I'm going to test this weekend in the Montana.

If nothing else, the 55gr. TTSX shoots very well in my rifle, and kills deer and feral hogs with aplomb! grin

Thanks for the insight. Do you have just as much confidence on deer and hogs with the 223 as a 243 with an 80 or 85 grain TTSX or an 85 grain Gameking? I've had good results with the Gameking in 243. Do you think the Montana would shoot these 243 bullets as well as one of the 223's you mentioned?

I would be interested to hear how the 69 Scenars and 62 TSX's shoot for you.

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AJD

AJD

10-4 Rock on!

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by n8dawg6

Sir,
respectfully

here is a 300 Win Mag factory cartridge, 150 gr. Tipped Barnes bullet. COAL is 3.305" SAAMI Max is 3.340OAL.

[Linked Image]

Note the pix. there are two markings on the 150 gr. Ballistic tip (green tip). The mark closest to the tip is COAL 3.340" the second closest to the case mouth is 3.305". This would allow for a minimum of .490" of bullet purchase, significantly more than .308"

The second bullet is a 200 grain Nosler Accubond. By my measurement there will be approx. .813" of bullet inside the case at a COAL of 3.340".

Best,

GWB

GWB, I believe that old theory refers to the length of the case neck, which is the only part of the case holding the bullet. The neck length on a 300 WM is approximately 0.265". Thus it is "less than one caliber" i.e. less than .308" in length. It is an old theory which has been shown by results to not be meaningful as 300 WM's have a long-established record for accuracy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think his point is that the neck on the .300WM is only .264", so the most the bearing surface of the bullet can be gripped by the neck is .264", regardless of whether you seat it deeper into the case or not.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do you have just as much confidence on deer and hogs with the 223 as a 243 with an 80 or 85 grain TTSX or an 85 grain Gameking?

Extremely confident.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

.22 Hornet was my youngest son's preference for a few years.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I can't comment of Gamekings as to the best of my recollection, I've never killed any game with them. In the .243 we predominately used TSX.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
For deer at less than 300 paces, it'd be hard to argue the efficiency of a SAAMI .223 or its Improved form with 75's or 62 X's....

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Just buy the 243.

If you want to shoot the 75 grain Amax in the 223, it's going to involve a bunch of magazine modifications.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
What prairie goat said.. a 223 is just a .223 there is nothing magic about them..

Molon Labe
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Oh I'm a huge fan of the 223, and it would be a delightful choice with other bullet options. But with the Kimber it's not quite as simple as just loading up 75s and killing stuff. Modifications need to take place.

The 243 is simply the easiest way to get from A to B, and good accurate factory ammo is available if the OP decides not to reload.

Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

448 members (12344mag, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 160user, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 46 invisible), 1,753 guests, and 1,037 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,867
Posts18,497,464
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.