Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
sonvolt Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Perhaps this is just an exercise in brand loyalty, but I'm interested in hearing what you guys have to say. I'm looking to buy a general purpose all-around "one rifle" .30-06. The two designs that appeal to me most in current production rifles are the Winchester Mod 70 Featherweight and the Sako Bavarian.

Let's forget the significant price difference between the two for a moment and talk about accuracy out-of-the-box. Sako guarantees a 5-shot 1" group - so there's the standard. Would you guys expect a brand new (FN) Winchester to shoot as well as that? My understanding is their bedding and barrels are as good as they've ever been. Can one expect one-inch groups right out of the box?

I have no dog in the fight - I'm truly interested in you guys' thoughts here.

DeWayne

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I'm a M70 fan but I'd be fooling myself to think that they're going to hang with the average Sako out of the box. When I buy a M70 I pretty much count on having to do significant work to get them to shoot the way I want. Sako's are pretty much plug-n-play.

Caveat that with the fact that I haven't bought a newer FN produced M70. However, I don't believe they've improved to Sako quality.

Your chances of getting a tackdriver out of the box go way up with the Sako.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had two Mod 70's, push feed if that makes a difference. They were plenty accurate enough, they just went down the road to get another rifle. BUT, my Sako Finnbear is still here and is the first rifle I usually grab when going hunting. Nothing wrong with Mod 70's, just like my Sako.
Opps! Forgot to mention it is WITHOUT doubt my most accurate rifle I own.

Last edited by rifletom; 02/21/14.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Easy ,Sako next question

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've had both Sako's and Winchester Model 70's post and pre-64. Some Winchesters will shoot, but the answer is Sako without a doubt.

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Old or new

[Linked Image]

Sakos will do.

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
My Sako 85 in 6.5X55 will consistently put five 130 grain AB's in 3/8" at 100 all day long. Can't speak for M70's.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
geedubya,Ohhh, that middle is nice! Details please.

S
sonvolt Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Thanks, guys. Yes, geedubya, how do you like the Bavarian full stock rifle? I mean ... I know you like it ... but as much as your other Sakos in terms of quality?

DeWayne

Last edited by sonvolt; 02/21/14.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Here is something that I posted previously in regard to the Bavarian Carbine........

JMHO, but one caveat, I�m a sako-holic, so take this with a grain of salt, cause this is not an objective opinion.
A friend of mine has the Sako Bavarian in 6.5 x 55. He says it shoots every different factory round he has put through it sub inch at 100.
I have the Bavarian Carbine in 308 Winchester. When they came out, I had to have one. I�ve become fond of the Mannlichers and the hog back or European style stocks.

Here�s my Sako 85 Bavarian Carbine in 308 Winchester. Blue steel, oil finished wood with contrasting grip cap and fore-end. It also has a set trigger that breaks at about 9 oz when set. At the bench or off a shooting rest, that will spoil ya�.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The bavarians are not light dainty rifles. Solidly built with excellent fit, finish and furniture. My 308 will hold 5 rounds in the detachable magazine and can be fed through the receiver into the magazine without the magazine being detached. I like that. I love Coopers, but the repeaters you must load the clip, then put the magazine in the rifle. Also, to disengage the magazine on the Sako 85, you have to depress the magazine with some force, then depress the latch. No losing magazines due to slight bumps and jarring. The magazine is of steel, not plastic construction. I like that too.

[Linked Image]

The one negative for me however is the thickness of the stock at the magazine. The point of balance for me is with the index finger of my left hand even with the juncture of the receiver and barrel. I�m 5-8 and 190 lbs. and don�t have particularly large hands. Guys with large hands or folks that don�t carry rifles much probably wouldn�t notice this at all.

[Linked Image]

A friend of mine who is a gunsmith states he loves to work on Sako�s cause he never has to true the actions. The bolt slide on the action is smooth as silk. I do use a small amount of grease on the rails though.

[Linked Image]

Another feature you may or may not like. When the safety is engaged, the bolt cannot be lifted unless the catch in front of the safety is depressed.

I had heard that a few of these earlier Sakos 85 Bavarians had a problem with the finish/bluing flaking on the bolt shroud. You can see the small round spec where that appears to be evident on mine. I use my guns, so the get nicks, scratches, dings and assorted character marks, so I did not consider this to be significant enough to send the rifle back.

And best of all, it shoots like a Sako���..

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/Rifles/IMG_1183_zps53dee6f3.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/Rifles/IMG_1185_zpsc37a9a41.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/Rifles/IMG_1182_zps1f85141b.jpg[/img]

These are a few groups shot of the bench at the Pearland Shooters club @ 100yds during load development. My go to load in this rifle is 150 gr. Nosler Accubonds over 46.5 gr. Varget, Lapua Brass, Fed 210M primers and 2.820 OAL.
As to recoil. I employ a lead sled with 40 lbs of lead shot when doing load development. Usually don�t shoot more than once at each particular game animal, and then my focus is on the game and the squeeze, not recoil. The scopes I employ are usually no more than 14 power max and 44mm objectives or less, as such low and medium rings work fine, so cheek weld and sight picture are no problem.
The Bavarians are pretty new so you may not be able to find one pre-enjoyed. I usually don�t buy new rifles. However, in this case lust got the better of me and I could not wait.

Best

GWB

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a controlled feed 25wssm, a M75 Sako 300wsm, and M85 7mm08, and the 25 shoots the best. All are excellent, but the 25 shoots all bullets and loads well. My next rifle will be a Sako in 260, if I can find one.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Terryk
My next rifle will be a Sako in 260, if I can find one.

I have the model 75 in the Stainless laminate Varmint in 260 Rem.
Heavy, but a sweet shooter.

Best,

GWB

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
It all depends on what the rifle likes. This M70 270 Wizzum would stack them on top of each other. It loved this load. It took 3 different powders and working with the seating depth to get this group. It will shoot with the best of them with no modifications and a 3-9x40 scope.

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Although I'm an unabashed Sako fan, I've had a number of Winchesters that were shooters.

This Model 70 in 300 WSM loaded with 150 gr. Sierra Sptizers would hang with most any of my Sakos......

[Linked Image]

as will this 6.5 WSM

[Linked Image]

and this ol' post 64 Winchester in 270.

[Linked Image]

Best,

GWB

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I love me some model 70s, especially the more recent vintages.

But between the choices the OP laid down, its Sako�.

Ive only owned one thus far but it was one of those few things in life that when you use it, you realize instantly why you spent so much on it, and that it was worth it.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Sako, next question....

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by WinModel70
It all depends on what the rifle likes. This M70 270 Wizzum would stack them on top of each other. It loved this load. It took 3 different powders and working with the seating depth to get this group. It will shoot with the best of them with no modifications and a 3-9x40 scope.

[Linked Image]

I actually shot my Winchster .270 WSM for the first time since deer season today. My groups were not quite this good but they were close. I wouldn't change a thing about my Winchester and I wouldn't trade it for a Sako either.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, best listen to the poopah. Couldn't agree more.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The OP didn't mention a Cooper, but it seemed to me that accuracy was one of his main objectives in a classic and beautiful wood stocked rifle. The Sako Bavarian would be my choice by a mile, but a Cooper Mod 52 repeater would be my choice if I wanted a "looker" that could produce "one hole" groups.

[Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
IMHO,
wood stocked pre-enjoyed Coopers are the best value out there, period.

Some Classics

[Linked Image]

The Varmint Style

[Linked Image]

and my favorite in the repeaters

[Linked Image]

the Jackson Game Rifle

Best,

GWB

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

366 members (17CalFan, 1lesfox, 163bc, 1badf350, 160user, 06hunter59, 32 invisible), 2,369 guests, and 1,047 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,329
Posts18,526,628
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.