Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You're the poorer!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Maybe. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In the backcountry, there's none that's more comfortable around camp...

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Brad
Men secure in their manhood wear Crocs and shoot 270's. laugh

and those that are stupid enough to go fox callin' in August when its 104 degrees in the shade at 6:30 pm.

[Linked Image]

Trick is, when its hot like that, don't bathe or shower for three or four days, and the hogs come runnin'. They think you're one of their long lost cousins.

[Linked Image]

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It doesn't get more "secure in manhood" than posting that on the intranet. Or, you may just be an exhibitionist grin

[Linked Image]

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Brad,

Posting here keeps me out of the bars and off the streets,

it's all good.

[Linked Image]

besides, we can't all be tall and good lookin' like ol' Stick

Best

GWB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have Kimber 84M's in both the 243 and 7-08 along with other cartridges.

Both the 243 and 7-08 are accurate and easy to deal with.

The 243 is better for off season varmint hunting.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
GFY

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
I like that Randall�.the Crocs�not so much�. grin

Nurses wear Croc's, G', you moonlight???

Dave

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by RDW
Originally Posted by ingwe
I like that Randall�.the Crocs�not so much�. grin

Nurses wear Croc's, G', you moonlight???

Not so much these days, now I'm saved, shaved and well behaved, but there was a time...........

Saw Alvin Lee and 10 years after around 1970 or 71 in Houston, Texas at a place call the "Catacombs". I was in a mind altered state and he was wearin' clogs. Went out and got me a pair the next day at Pier 1 IIRC.

I've worn clogs and now crocs ever since.

Best,

GWB

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by geedubya
What's the old song, That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

I picked out an absolutely exquisite Classic in 300 WSM. Did my standard barrel break in. It was finicky from the start.IIRC the only bullet I could get to group consistently was the 180 gr. Nosler Partiton, which was no problem as I like Nosler. Even with the partitions, it was an 1.5" at 100 yd. rifle. I took it with me on a hunt at the lease I was on at the time. Spent the weekend there by myself. Would go up on Thursday and stay through Tuesday. Monday morning that trip I was sitting in a ground blind. It was approaching 11 AM as I recall. I was getting antsy as I'd been there since about an hour before daybreak. I'm getting ready to pack up when I see motion in the foreground. I immediately bring up the binocs and lay eyes on the best deer I've ever seen in my life strolling straight toward me. He's probably 200 yds, moving through the trees my way. I get ready and watch him to about 120 yds. I whistle and he stops. I fire. He stands there. I eject the empty and fire again. He's still standing but getting antsy. So I fire again. This time he turns and trots off. Mind you I hear no whop of the bullet, don't see him flinch. Nothing. So I look for blood for about two hours and don't see a drop. Bummer.

Later that afternoon I'm heading to a spot at the back of the ranch about two miles away. I'm on my four wheeler and go down in to a draw and back up. After I top the draw I come face to face with a fine mature 8 point buck. He don't spook, he just keeps walking toward an opening in the brush 30 yds. or so away. I have the rifle slung on my back. I never carry a rifle with a round in the chamber. I unsling the rifle, go to chamber a round and it pops out and falls o the dirt. I try a second time and this time the two remaining cartridges pop up and out. Meantime the buck slips into the Juniper. Two fine shooters missed in one day. If I hadn't paid $1300 for the rifle and about $500 for the scope I'd have wrapped it around the nearest tree I was so pissed. When I got back to town I traded in on a Remington 700 C grade in 270 Win. Not only had I missed 3 shots off a rest at 120 yds, but it had misfed or I had short stroked. Whatever, I figured the rifle had bad JuJu.

Classic #2. About two months after I bought Classic number 1 I purchased a Kimber in 270 WSM. It had pretter wood than the first. I figured what the hey, the problem with the first shouldn't keep me from enjoying this Kimber. Well once again I was sitting in a 4'x 4' enclosed blind at the junction of two power line right of ways. I had a shot on a buck about 120 yds. I drew a bead and squeezed. Click, but no boom. I thought what the heck. I know I put a shell in the chamber. I pull the rifle inside the blind, set the stock on the floor, hold it out almost at arms lenght to cycle the bolt. When I got to lift the bolt handle, the rifle fires, putting a hole in the roof and almost knocking me out with the blast, concussion and decibels. Freaked me smooth out. The deer ran off and I went back to camp once I cleaned out my shorts and regained my composure. When I got back I tried firing it off the bench and the same thing happened. So I took it back to where I'd bought it and asked them to send it back to the manufacturer. I sure didn't want some unsuspecting person to own that rifle.

Given the plethora of variables above, I would proffer that the discerning reader might find one constant in the equation, and it's likely not a Kimber.

There might be 'nother clue here too.

Originally Posted by geedubya

[Linked Image]

Gee Wiz....

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Sir,
another rifle another tale.......

Being a junk man at heart, I am always pickin' through other folks used items. Can't help it.
I picked up this action about 10 years ago. Never did any thing with it. The price was right and ya never can tell!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Sako S491 action

A couple years after I picked up the Sako action, a fellow had a used Richards Microfit thumbhole stock for sale. Turns out it just happened to be glass bedded for a Sako S491 action, once again, the price was right. Couldn't resist.

Fast forward to a year or so ago when I started postin' on 24hour consitently, As stated above, I'm pretty comfortable in my own skin, but what with all the wankers here and their fast twist Ackleys, it made me feel like a dwarf at Chippendale's. My equipment just wasn't cuttin' it.

So I got the hankerin' for a small caliber chambering with a fast twist barrel. Turns out a friend had a 1 in 8" twist Shilen Select Match stainless barrel layin' around his shop. Even had a 223 AI reamer and a Vais brake. I guess gunsmiths are like barbers. I told him I wanted to build a walking varminter, 22" barrel with a contour like a Remmy LVSF. You see what I got. LOL

Well, a few dollars traded hands, I pulled out an old scope I'd basically gotten free from another deal and tossed them into a feed barrel and rolled it down a hill at the lease. When I pulled the lid, dang if a Spare Parts Rifle didn't pop out.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sako S491 action, Richards laminate thumbhole stock. Twenty-six inch Shilen Select Match Barrel, Vais Brake, chambered for 223 AI, Burris 8 x 32 Signature Scope.

But, it makes an impression on critters........

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

and shoots 36 gr. thru 82 grainers pretty much to the same point of impact and you can see the hit.

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/group%20pix/IMG_69691_zps323142ae.jpg[/img]

So, I guess I can slum the heavy barrel and the muzzle brake.

Best,

GWB

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Ya'll need to lay off the crocs...

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
G',

It remains a shame,that you are devoid any inkling to your impressive cluelessness.

But it do make for EPIC [bleep] hilarity! Laffin'!

One could spin you (1) revolution atop a haybale and you wouldn't be able to find your way back to the Golf Cart.

Bless your heart.

Brad,

Say a leetle sumptin' more about Burger King and gettin' wayyyyy out there via KOA Campground(s).

You poor poor stupid [bleep].

Laffin'!

'99,

Who dressed you this morning and chewed your food for you?

Laffin'!

'CUBIC,

Don't be so harsh,as I rather enjoy the harrowing "Adventures" of The Do Nothing Gang and the fascinating "particulars" of the wares they put to "use".

Saturday Night Live don't have schit half this funny and these poor stupid [bleep] are doing their best,not to be.(grin)

[bleep] awesome +P+!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
So back on track!

RH Clark what did you decide to buy? If your over near Atlanta anytime soon you can shoot my whiney do nothing select classic Roberts.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
geedub, You gots lotsa cool toys!

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'yp,

The train has never left the tracks. Hint.

That Bob looks to have really raised hell with things and is obviously a sage Old War Horse.

Laffin'!

Never have seen a Conquest...expound a bit there too and perhaps correlate it's grandeur in extrapolation to the rest of the platform.

Dare ya.

Laffin'!

'head,

Stupidity ain't a "toy"...it's a plight.

Marked difference there.

Hint.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by jimmyp
So back on track!

RH Clark what did you decide to buy? If your over near Atlanta anytime soon you can shoot my whiney do nothing select classic Roberts.

[Linked Image]

Thanks for the offer my friend. I may take you up on it. Still exploring the possibilities but the decision may be made by availability when I get ready to buy. Likely be a little later this summer.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Funny stuff!

You'd think someone woulda been out bangin' Krunchentickers in extrapolation to a Montucky or two,if only to see just WTF do what and more importantly why.

Mebbe some day,someone will...as I'd be curious to hear them findings.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

You just know a 25 has got whoop a 6mm's ass too...especially when the 25 hull is sooooo much longer and hangin' in a like length action.

Sucks that a lowly 105 poly-tipped 6mm,is longer than a poly-tipped 25 115-grainer. Real bummer there,especially because the case is shorter too. Laffin'!

[Linked Image]

These Clueless Dumbfhukkers have me at a distinct disadvantage,because I don't shoot nearly as much as they do and simply a whole [bleep] bunch more than they could begin to [bleep] fathom.

You'll haveta' pardon my being afforded the luxury,of not being forced to guess. Though in fairness,I reckon I'll never tire of the inherent hilarity of The Do Nothing Gang doing their best.

Bless their hearts.

DON'T drink the water.

Laffin'!

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Boxer
G',

One could spin you (1) revolution atop a haybale and you wouldn't be able to find your way back to the Golf Cart.

Bless your heart.

Lord luv ya B'.

Some might soliloquize,

[Linked Image]

why does ol B try to turn every thread into a Goatphuck,

but not Gdub.

I've heard you could follow sign but you musta missed some markers.

I've been round many a bale a hay, some round some rectangle stacked high and wide.

[Linked Image]

So, being a fellow that is generally willing to steer the wayward back on the true path, the following observations would be in order.

Don't know about the north pole or Alaska, but here, a compass or a GPS work just fine.

[Linked Image]

Seem's like somebody's motto was "be prepared" or was it "proper preparation prevents poor performance".

Anyway, you get the point.

Heck, even equipped with only roll of flagging tape, a fellow can pretty much negotiate his way around a hay bale or a "petting zoo"

and as to a "golf cart".

at night when following a blood trail,

[Linked Image]

leave the motor running and lights on and one can venture out a half mile or so and find his way back in the dark.

A golf cart/ATV, can come in pretty handy when it comes to going hither and yon, and totin' stuff.

[Linked Image]

Go where a truck can't. Not near as much care required as for a horse, mule or llama.

[Linked Image]

sometimes even with a 7mm-08

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/latestgunstuff/IMG_0789.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/latestgunstuff/DSCN7652.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/DSC02297-1.jpg[/img]

Best,

GWB

Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

260 members (257 mag, 2500HD, 160user, 12344mag, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 257robertsimp, 29 invisible), 1,816 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,167
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.