Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
G,

The Texas version of everything...is simply a [bleep] riot!

There ain't no slightin' that your incredible ineptitude,do run an amazing constant. Laffin'!

Here's to 90PSI body cavities and swelterin' steaks drum tight in the sun...as you try and dupe yourself into "thinking" you've a first [bleep] clue about anything,other than bitin' bubbles in the 'tub.

Bless your heart,because your best is just oh so [bleep] amazingly shy of the mark.

Laffin'!

HR IC

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Boxer
In your first post on this thread you said 308 or 223. Can the 308 Montana be loaded down to kid recoil levels and still retain good accuracy and effectiveness when the shot will likely be around 100 yards or even less? If it can be then it might be the answer. I can handle the recoil fine and the kids and wife would only use it occasionally.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Boxer
In your first post on this thread you said 308 or 223. Can the 308 Montana be loaded down to kid recoil levels and still retain good accuracy and effectiveness when the shot will likely be around 100 yards or even less? If it can be then it might be the answer. I can handle the recoil fine and the kids and wife would only use it occasionally.

Not Boxer, but I used to shoot mine with the 130 TSX at 300 Savage velocities and it was a pu$$y cat.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
RHC,

also not Boxer, but my response will not be in code or Bushelerspeak.

As you do not reload, you might google "managed recoil loads for 308 winchester"

Should you choose to do so, something like this may pop up.........

www.google.com/search?q=managed+recoil+loads+for+308+Winchester&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

Best,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 02/24/14.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Thanks guys. I looked enough to know there were a bunch of reduced loads for a 308 but wondered if any of the lighter ones made recoil feel equivalent to 243 levels. I do appreciate the straight talk and polite attitude.

Also wondered if such loads would work well in the Montana 308 for short range deer. I will be reloading as soon as I acquire the space, via a shop.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
RCH,

One of the best hunting investments you'll ever make is buying a good rifle and scope for your wife and/or kids.

As B- often says rightly, start at the start.

In this case, that would be buy them something that fits them, not you.

Rifle fit has a great influence on felt recoil.

They likely will need a shorter rifle. Make sure the scope is positioned and adjusted for them, not you, to be comfortable. The investment will be paid back many times over.

And yes, the 308 lower power loads will kill things very dead, as will 243 and 223.

Shot placement trumps power.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by jeffbird
RCH,

One of the best hunting investments you'll ever make is buying a good rifle and scope for your wife and/or kids.

As B- often says rightly, start at the start.

In this case, that would be buy them something that fits them, not you.

Rifle fit has a great influence on felt recoil.

They will need a shorter rifle. Make sure the scope is positioned for them, not you, to be comfortable. The investment will be paid back many times over.

And yes, the 308 lower power loads will kill things very dead, as will 243 and 223. Shot placement trumps power.

Totally agree. That's why I bought this.

[Linked Image]

The stock fits the young ones all the way in , and the wife one notch in. I put a very nice trigger in it and scope on it. This Kimber will not be a wife and kid gun. I just thought it would be nice if I buy something that they can handle recoil wise if they want to carry such a light rifle. The one complaint my daughter has of any gun is the weight. If I run up on a second stock fine, but I won't be cutting this one down.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 02/24/14.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
The Chuck Hawks article from the link above states that both Federal and Remington mangaged recoil loadings claim a 50% recoil reduction.

Deer are not really that hard to kill. I've killed them with a 40 gr. v-max out of a tactical 20 all the way through a 45-70 and 400 gr bullet.
Shoot them in the CNS or neck they go down. Break down both shoulders, they go down. Spine-shoot them, they go down. Heart or lungs, 100 yds or so. Gut shot, all bets are off. I use larger calibers as I'm always on the lookout for hoglets and it is very thick where I hunt. I want them DRT if at all possible.

Another thought. If you are worried about recoil. Get a led-sled and about 40 lbs of shot or weights.

[Linked Image]

Let your wife or kids practice off the bench shooting off the led sled. Make sure they wear ear muffs at least and perhaps foam ear plugs plus ear muffs. Let them get in some trigger time.

With the weights on the led sled, the recoil will be insignificant, and with the ear muffs/plugs, the noise should not be a factor either. This should help prevent them from developing a "flinch". To check, hand them an unloaded rifle (but don't let them know it's not loaded) and watch to see whether they are squeezing or jerking the trigger.

With ear muffs, recoil management and trigger time, when they do shoot at game, their blood will be up, they will be excited and the instinct borne of practices will pay off. They won't even notice the recoil of the one shot.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Best,

GWB

PS: That Sako is chambered for the 308 Winchester, but I'm running 46.5 gr. of Varget, 150 gr. Nosler Ballistic tips for practice and 150 gr. Accubonds for real, Lapua Brass, Federal 210 M primers and 2.800 COAL for about 2,800 fps., which is not a reduced load, but is a killer.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
trailboss+lead

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Rick

Don't believe that RHC is reloading yet.

Best,

GWB

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I see

Good time to start with above. Hard to screw up. Dangerous with expertise from other forms of reduced.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
10/4 on that.

Seafire who posts here does a lot with reduced power loading.

I don't mess with reduced power/fast powder loads

Best,

GWB

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'Clark,

Pullin' spark plugs ain't of ANY interest to me...though you are certainly welcome to the folly.

I cited 223 and 308 for simplistics reasons,which was stated plainly,due the fact you don't Reload. The support of both chamberings in Factory Form,is in non-lineal fashion and that'd be a good thing as such concessions go.

Take the Brood to the Store,let 'em Test Drive a Montucky and get back to me on them very obvious "findings".

More water for you to not drink.(grin)

'Walter,

Pass the 223,good boolits and hold ALL the Fluff.

You get your cake and eat it too.

Hint.

'bird,

Just why in the [bleep] folks are in sucha hurry to remove the Fun Quotient,do reliably astound me. I reckon I'll never savvy Spark Plug Pullin' Goat [bleep],when one can reduce costs,noise,recoil and performance,while banking extry rounds in the belly to boot. This schit cracks me the [bleep] up!

Fun schit gets shot and schit that gets shot builds proficiency and proficiency is how one reliably arranges "luck".

Hilarious Thread!

G',

If you gotta resort to tricking the Bride and the Brood,you are ONLY tricking yourself. Hint.

The Texas version of everything is [bleep] hilarious!

Doubly so,when you go to citing Shefire as anything but a Bat Schit Crazy Do Nothing Clueless Kchunt.

Bless your heart.

rick',

You're mean.

Laffin'!

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by geedubya
Rick

Best,

GWB

No, not yet, but this whole thread was designed to help me pick the right Montana for when I am reloading. My original question was to determine if any caliber Montana lent it's self to better accuracy via mag box length, throat length, twist rates, and other such parameters that reloaders are knowledgeable about.

It started as 243 VS 7-08 and delved into the 223 per Boxers recommendations, and now the possibility of the 308 which fits my needs very well but I would also like something with recoil low enough that the wife and kids won't completely shun it. There is really no need for magnums or long range in my neck of the woods anyway. Shots are likely to be in wooded areas and under 100 yards , with the exception of a rare clear cut or power line 200 yard shot.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
900fps with 200 lead does nice on med size @ smidge over 100 until gravity. Feels about a 22kwasp

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
You could always go to harbor freight and invest in an inexpensive caliper and then go to your favorite gun store and measure the different OAL's of various factory fodder. Traditional cup and core bullets are shorter than the mono-metals and plastic tipped bullets. I've had excellent luck with Sierras in the traditional cup and core. I think you will find that "kissing the lands" is going to be the least of your worries in regards to accuracy out of a factory chamber at 100 yards. If you don't even get better than two inch groups, that will kill deer at 100 yds. Best measure is where the first shot out of a cold barrel will impact. Chances are you'll not get more than one shot off on game.

Best,

GWB

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You want to be sober while working reduced load. Air space can remove your head from shoulders. Trail fills the case. RHC just be aware!
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by geedubya
Rick

Best,

GWB

No, not yet, but this whole thread was designed to help me pick the right Montana for when I am reloading. My original question was to determine if any caliber Montana lent it's self to better accuracy via mag box length, throat length, twist rates, and other such parameters that reloaders are knowledgeable about.

It started as 243 VS 7-08 and delved into the 223 per Boxers recommendations, and now the possibility of the 308 which fits my needs very well but I would also like something with recoil low enough that the wife and kids won't completely shun it. There is really no need for magnums or long range in my neck of the woods anyway. Shots are likely to be in wooded areas and under 100 yards , with the exception of a rare clear cut or power line 200 yard shot.

Last edited by rickmenefee; 02/24/14.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
B-, Yep.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Boxer
'

G',

If you gotta resort to tricking the Bride and the Brood,you are ONLY tricking yourself. Hint.

B,

With your mindset and attitude, I can see as it would be trickery,

Not so here.

[Linked Image]

This un' started followin' me at six. We still hunt together.

He is now 32.

No tricks, just a lot of love, respect, camraderie and good times.

Comprende?

GWB

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
G',

You said:

"Let your wife or kids practice off the bench shooting off the led sled. Make sure they wear ear muffs at least and perhaps foam ear plugs plus ear muffs. Let them get in some trigger time.

With the weights on the led sled, the recoil will be insignificant, and with the ear muffs/plugs, the noise should not be a factor either. This should help prevent them from developing a "flinch". To check, hand them an unloaded rifle (but don't let them know it's not loaded) and watch to see whether they are squeezing or jerking the trigger.

With ear muffs, recoil management and trigger time, when they do shoot at game, their blood will be up, they will be excited and the instinct borne of practices will pay off. They won't even notice the recoil of the one shot."

The Texas version of everything,is simply [bleep] hilarious. Bless your heart.

You poor poor stupid [bleep] are a riot!

Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (7887mm08, 35, Bigd7378, Anaconda, 6MMWASP, 11 invisible), 1,489 guests, and 873 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,977
Posts18,499,537
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.