Print Thread
Hop To
D
dsnoek Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Well, I've had time to get over my excitement about being able to buy a new rifle, and now I'm considering maybe a .308 rather than a 7mm-08. Anybody out there with advice for me? I'm wondering about ballistics, potential velocities, and barrel lengths in available rifles. Thanks.<P>Doren

GB1

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Doren,<P>I used to have a Browning BLR in .308 and it was a fine cartridge. Only accounted for one game animal, a wild pig but it certainly did an outstanding job on him. I too had to decide which one to get, and in my case, the .284 Winchester was also a candidate. I chose the .308 because 30 cal had a better selection of heavier big game bullets (meaning 150 gr and heavier). The cartridge is also very accurate.<P>Really depends on what your'e going to hunt. The 7-08 with 139 grain bullets should do fine on deer out to 300/350 yds. If your'e thinking of hunting something a little bigger, then the .308 would be a bit more versatile.<P>Good luck,<BR>Larry

You see in this world, there's two kinds of people my friend; those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Doren .... There ain't enough difference between the two to bother with a debate. You need to get your feet wet, dude! My advice is to buy one or the other and spend your time shooting instead of debating. It's a hell of a lot more fun, and probably more educational. We only have so many weeks of non-winter to prep for the hunt up here. Go for it, and best of luck! We'll be here to help with your reloading questions. [Linked Image] ~ Dan

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Doren,<BR>Loud Cloud is right, now is time to buy and train. Going with the 308 gives access to cheap military ammo for training.<BR>I used to hunt with a scout in 7.08, and lost no animal, but the blood path is usually nonexistent, and no animal ever dropped on the spot (14 kills).<BR>My 308 now has six kills, no animal made any step... I believe the 308 may have a small advantage in efficiency, thanks to its greater diameter. But then, dead is dead.<BR>Good training, good hunting<BR>olivier

Age quod agis
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
dsnoek- well, welcome to the world of rifles. by that i mean the same thing happens to me as what you are going through. which caliber? first, i'm dead set on this one. but, maybe that one would be better. then again, the one over there has it's merits, too.<P>truth is, for deer and smaller at average distances, most calibers will do just fine. i don't think you should worry a whole lot about your choice. pick a caliber and a rifle, and stick to your choice, and don't look back.<P>fwiw, ammo may be easier to come by for the 308, but in all seriousness, you should be plenty stocked up w/ whatever you intend to shoot come huntin' season.<P>like loud cloud says: get your feet wet!<P>------------------<BR>Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It is much more important than that.

Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It is much more important than that.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, but military ammo should not always be used in a sporting rifle due to pressures.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Doren,<P>As others have said, its somewhat of a tough choice. If it were me and it was my only rifle, the 308 Win would get the nod. Simply because of the ability to shoot 165 and 180 grain bullets extremely accurate and at good terminal velocities. This would take me into elk and moose territory, while still having the lighter bullets (125-150) for praire goats, deer and caribou.<P>On the other hand, the 7-08 would be my chioce if I was dedicated to taking 50-400 lbs game at 300 yards. The 7mm offers better Sectional Density in lighter bullets and really is a super round with accuracy on par with the 308 Win.<P>Both are outstanding calibers, its really a win-win situation for you.<P>Take Care<BR>~rossi~<P>

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
any of the 7mm or .30 calibers will do the job, and as previously said, where you shoot'm is more important than what you shoot 'm with...<P>7-08, 7x57, .308, 30-06 are all just fine...<P>start practicing<P>------------------<BR>Those that would trade freedom for security, deserve neither freedom or security.

Those that would trade freedom for security, deserve neither freedom or security.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Last year I bought my fiancee a 308 and never looked back. She wanted a rifle for everything up to big Black Bears and Moose with little recoil. A 308 with a premium 165 grain bullet out to 250-300 yards is definitely a force to be reconed with. The rifle I bought her was a "plain jane" Ruger M77R MK II. With out of the box Winchester 150 gr. Power points it will shoot 5 shot groups into less than 3/4" all day long and Federal Premium with 165 gr. N. P. will go almost half that! And as everyone else said get your feet wet and just do it.<P>------------------<BR><B>"Old dogs never die, we just get meaner!"</B>

Walk softly and carry a big stick. Prefferably one that shoots big bullets.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I personally have had 3 7-08s. I love them. More of my friends here on Kodiak have 7-08 than 308. I have seen it used on elk with good results. It is great for caribou. The only animal smaller than elk I would not use it on is mountain goat. I have seen bad results with the 7-08, 270, 308 type rifles. They all died but when a goat doesn't go down quickly bad results can happen.<BR>I think its a matter of personal choice. You really won't be able to do anything with one that you wouldn't be able to do with the other.<BR>One of my friends uses the same 7-08 for everything from caribou to fox. You can bet he shoots it well and has good results.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
IC B3

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
dsnoek, do you like "wildcats?" If so, would you please allow me to make your thinking a little more complicated?<P>Here it goes: You can take an existing (used) .308, and turn it into a .338-308 wildcat. This cartridge is just a .308 case, with any of the numerous .338 bullets. It will need a new barrel, of course, but it should make a great deer to elk cartridge.<P>Not enough powder to push the bullet fast enough? Well...Enough powder to lag "just" a little behind the .338-06.<BR>--------<BR>I am just playing with your mind and my own "wildcat dreams." A .308 is a great little cartridge. A friend of mine uses his .308 to hunt moose, and he gets one each year. I do the same with my .338, but the .308 works just fine.<p>[This message has been edited by Ray (edited June 15, 2001).]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ray,<BR>It's his first "serious" hunting rifle, he's only 15-16 or thereabouts...<P>Better to stick with off the shelf..<P>------------------<BR>Those that would trade freedom for security, deserve neither freedom or security.

Those that would trade freedom for security, deserve neither freedom or security.
T
T
I have a 308 and can't say enough good about it on whitetails! My son got his 308 5 years ago when he only weighted in at 103 lbs, and he didn't think the recoil was any more than the 20 ga shotgun he was carrying at the time. I've shot about 12 deer with mine, and this year was the furthest any went after I've pulled the trigger-about 10 yards! Although I'm now playing around with some reloads, I've found 150 gr Rems from AnyMart, $8/box do just great.<BR>I'm glad to hear so many of you have used the 308 on larger game and like it. If I every have the opportunity to hunt elk or moose I'd like to use my Rem 700 in 308 because the gun fits me like a glove. If I can point my finger at the target, I can shoot it with that gun.It just "fits" me, whereas my 270 just isn't as comfortable. Doug

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Military .308 shouldn't be used in a sporting rifle ? Because of "pressure considerations" ? I've used 100's of rounds regularly for many years. There are no "pressure considerations". I've never heard of such a thing. As long as you buy your ammo from a regular commerical source, there will be no problems. It might not shoot like high quality handloads, but it works fine for practice in field positions, or just plain plinking. Go for it. E.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
E,<P>I've shot a "Gazillion" FMJ mil-surp rounds,in assorted 308's. There are in fact lots of ammo,by various Manufacturers,that are "wooded". That meaning FULL throttle! It was expressly intended for full-auto machineguns and wasn't conceived to be used in a boltgun. <P>That being said(and experienced firsthand),I still continue to shoot Ball 7.62 ammo. I have only experienced "sticky" bolt lift and no other troubles. There are huge variations in the quality of available mil-surp fodder. It ranges from quite poor,to very suprisingly accurate. The pressure levels vary,as well. Before purchasing a huge amount,of a specific lot,I'd purchase a small sampling and shoot them. Every rifle is a unique individual and it is best,they are treated as such. In that manner,there will be no exciting "suprises".<P><BR>A good rule of thumb is to tread lightly and test the waters. My first 25-284(Rem 600 in 308) digested countless thousands,of Ball Ammo rounds. I'd sample a portion of a case,test it's feed,function,accuracy and pressure levels,then purchase a sealed case of the same lot(or the remainder of that opened case). I'd then sight in with it and use that ammo for practice fodder. It was only when that fine rifle became a smoothbore,that I rebarreled it!<P>Mil-surp can be great,but a little trepadation is in order. There have been numerous reports of CATASTROPHIC rifle failure,due to excessively high pressured mil-surp ammo(308 specifically). I've read numerous accounts on the web and have seen the photos. I'm sure that those more versed on the subject,could explain in greater detail and give specifics(ammo manufacturer and perhaps specific lot numbers,known to be troubled).<P>That is not a slam in any manner,in regards to the 308. I think it is a great round and prefer it,to the 30-'06.<P> BUT,back to Doren's initial querry,I prefer the 7-08 for EVERYTHING,in the two cartridges design scope(neither where intended for Elephant). I've shot more 308 rounds in practice,but have used the 7-08 more in application. I believe the 7-08 to be the best use of that particular case size. I know the 308 is good,but realize the 7-08 is GREAT. It's what I use and I have several of each offering. The 308's see more range time,the 7-08's,more time ACTUALLY hunting. It is the most underrated round,that I can think of and that is a shame.........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
dsnoek,<P>You're going in the wrong direction, lad. It's the .260 you need. Once you discover there ain't much in the way game on this continent that can contain a 140 grain Nosler Partition, within it's body, you'll wonder how anyone ever touted you onto those "larger, more efficient" calibers.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, thanks Big Stick, that is what I was referring to. I am not a 308 man, but recently read an article about some military ammo seizing up bolt actions due to being intended for machine gun usage.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
first rifle? what are you gonna use this weapon for? {elk,mule deer, whitetail } what is your max range for shooting?the 308 will handle all, except long range elk shots.the 7mm08 will kill elk but I wouldn,t use one personally.a 280 improved or even a 3006 improved would work better especially for long shots.the elk in this mix is what affects the caliber selection most.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FWIW, I've personally found the advantages of the .308 largely theoretical. Thought about how much sense it made to buy a .308 and shoot mil-surp for practice and decent fodder for serious use. However, I've got two .308s(Rem 700 LTR, VS), and both shoot sufficiently well to call for good reloads. The 20inch fluted heavy barreled 700 LTR is absolutely amazing with a steady rest and a high powered variable. A factory .308 that will put one 175 Sierra in the same 3/8"(or less) group time after time. The 26" barreled VS shoots fair but it won't shoot with the little LTR. In the end, however, I've got alot of 147 grain stuff that won't shoot for jack and I would'nt shoot it in my good .308. Might serve to shoot out the VS, however, I find inaccuracy boring and embarassing to a point. I would vote for a .308 or a 7mm-08 and a handloading setup. In the end you'll be happiere I would imagine. Best, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Thanks, Big Stick. BTW, I "forgive" you for ruining me with the .25-284/Rem 600 idea ! [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] E

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

124 members (338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 22 invisible), 1,624 guests, and 934 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,286
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.