Print Thread
Hop To
#8615200 02/24/14
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Anyone on here besides me get turned down for VA benefits? In an effort to sidestep Zerocare, I thought I would check this option, but I guess I make too much money. Lucky for me. Cause I know there are lots with more deserving problems.

Those who would disrespect our flag have never been handed a folded one.

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.

When in the Course of human events......

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I got a letter several years ago from the VA to apply. I got a second letter later turning me down due to my income. I don't have any "provable" health issues related to my service. For some reason there are many troops in the C-130 community that have had prostate cancer.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Get with your local VFW, and ask about their rep that helps veterans file for benefits and appeals. Right now VA is giving 10% normally, kicking the file out and then hoping you do not file an appeal. You have two appeals process: the regular and DRO (which is a single experienced rep that handles the appeal). If you lose that one you appeal to a board of judges that are normally veterans.

The appeal takes about a year at each step.

the VA medical has certain income elements based on level of disability. The key is get the disability levels bumped up.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I'm in the same boat as you.
I signed up on line and got notified of to much income.
I then went to the local VA hospital and still with no service related issues I make to much. This is even with me being retired!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I know a 60% service related retired guy who makes to much money.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B2

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
That's just NOT RIGHT!!

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Hmmm. Guess no sense in applying then, even after I retire this summer.
Dave in WV. What say you about C130's and prostate cancer???

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I would check out a VA service rep. before giving up. VFW. AL, and DAV officer are where to start. It does not cost anything to apply. I put it off for years when I could have been covered.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
VA disability benefits, both financial and medical can be very difficult to obtain. It took me almost 10 years to be awarded a disability rating and another two years to get medical. My medical benefits are related to the reasons for my disability rating. I only get meds necessary to alleviate the symptoms for which my rating applies.

I have a 70% rating relating to exposure to Agent Orange while in Viet Nam. Diabetes type II, neuropathy in both legs, and sexual organ and rectum. Also related are high blood pressure and cholesterol issues. I get meds to treat them only.

Dealing with the VA can be very difficult and challenging.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by MissouriEd
VA disability benefits, both financial and medical can be very difficult to obtain. It took me almost 10 years to be awarded a disability rating and another two years to get medical. My medical benefits are related to the reasons for my disability rating. I only get meds necessary to alleviate the symptoms for which my rating applies.

I have a 70% rating relating to exposure to Agent Orange while in Viet Nam. Diabetes type II, neuropathy in both legs, and sexual organ and rectum. Also related are high blood pressure and cholesterol issues. I get meds to treat them only.

Dealing with the VA can be very difficult and challenging.

That is why a good service rep is so important.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Several friends have worked for the VA. I spoke with a few briefly, after reading this thread earlier. Here is what they suggest -

Get involved with one of the veteran service organizations - they are pros at knowing their way in, around and through the VA system and are advocates for you. They have a huge workload but they are on your side.

Take the time to write down the ailments, when they started and why they might be tied to your military service.

If you got treatment for the ailment in the military write down as much as you can remember about the incident and treatment.

The more fact you have the better.

The more precise you are in nailing down a specific time period of a treatment or incident the better.

If you were hurt in an accident - list all of the names of witnesses you think of - their statements may be critical to establishing the legitimacy of your claim.

Check online for the assorted guides that detail the various percentage ratings given for each disability so you know what the thresholds are for each rating. I think this is in Title 37 but there are plenty of online resources that will help.

It is possible to have ratings that individually total greater than 100% but based on a formula will be reduced to less than that.

Most important of all is assembling your information on paper before starting - the more information you have upfront - the better.

This will be a time consuming process - do not expect it to be easy or fast.

I hope this helps - thank you veterans for your service.

Last edited by BlackHunter; 02/25/14.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by m1rifleman
Anyone on here besides me get turned down for VA benefits? In an effort to sidestep Zerocare, I thought I would check this option, but I guess I make too much money. Lucky for me. Cause I know there are lots with more deserving problems.

Do they provide any kind of guidance WRT maximum income that benefits might be available or is it just "take a stab at it"?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
EdM, not certain of your question, but when you fill our an application form they ask for your income and assets. Form says you don't have to answer that question, but you will be denied if you don't. so its the perfect .gov catch 22. This is the first time I have tried to use VA since using the GI bill in 1971/72 to finish school. I figure I earned at least a physical:).

Those who would disrespect our flag have never been handed a folded one.

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.

When in the Course of human events......
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What I find funny about all this is I got my VA card a year before I got my disability. I walked into the Seattle VA Hospital with copies of both my DD214s, filled out a one page form and walked out with a VA card. I was covered by the VA at that point. Now I did have a copay for visits and medications. The copay went away for the service related meds but stayed for the others until I went on SS. Then my taxable income went below 16,000 a year and I have no copay.

A vet with a DD214 should be able top get into the VA system and the VA counts as insurance under Omabacare.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1234, 007FJ, 160user, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,130 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,778
Posts18,495,830
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.