Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
The Finance Minister and I have sorted out the "how", we all know the "why", now all that's left is the "where".

The "what" is a Shiloh Sharps, .45-70, 30" heavy octagonal barrel, double set triggers, barrel sights and a shotgun buttplate. If one came available in .45-90 I'd not turn it down. grin

I'm kind of partial to the Montana Roughrider, but I keep hearing comments about the strength of the straight stock versus the pistol-grip, so I certainly would entertain the thoughts of a Saddle Rifle or #3 Sporter.

So, I'm on the hunt, and would greatly appreciate any leads, hints, or sightings of a rifle that fills the bill.

So far, you guys have been first class enablers. I can expect no less than your whole-hearted support of my building addiction. laugh

E.T., you suck. Greg, you too. Oh, and I certainly can't forget Bill and Woody, now can I?

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

BWAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAHAAAAA

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
well...

there is a .44-90 on Gunbroker, which oughta have plenty of personality.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=395075692

and several other Shilohs. Cabelas has a couple as well.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
The "what" is a Shiloh Sharps, .45-70, 30" heavy octagonal barrel, double set triggers, barrel sights and a shotgun buttplate. If one came available in .45-90 I'd not turn it down. grin

You have a good taste in rifles, Ed wink . I have two Shilohs as you have described above - one in 45-70 (Hartford) and one in 45-90 (#3 Sporter). Both do have the steel shotgun buttplate. I prefer the straight grip and "standard" wood. My #3 does have "semi-fancy" wood that is just 'pretty' straight grain stock and forearm. Waited 4 yrs, 10 months and 20 days for the Hartford . . . less than a week for the #3 (it was on the shelf in Shiloh's Gun Room). Wait long or wait short, the wait is well worth it. Your wait will not get any shorter by delaying your order grin .

Carry on . . .

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Otter,

I have called Shiloh several times, and talked with a female there each time. She has told me that there are NO guns on the rack, to check the website for current inventory. I do that every day and have YET to see anything listed there.

Am I doing something wrong?

As to the Shilohs online, I haven't seen anything close to what I want unless I buy a 34" barrel model and have someone cut the barrel and replace the front sight...

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No, you are not doing anything wrong . . . they just don't have anything on the shelves for sale. Those that do show up on the Gun Room shelves are, IIRC, rifles that were ordered w/ a deposit and, for whatever reason, when the time came for the production run and "the letter" went out, the depositer decided to not continue with the order but Shiloh made it/them anyhow. This recession/economic downturn slowed down the speculative orders to Shiloh and, I would guess, C Sharps, too.

Google "Bill Goodman", give him a call and see what he has on order or in stock (if anything). He may have something of interest. I have not dealt with him, but I have not heard anything bad or derogatory about dealing with him.

Or, just decide for sure what you want (sounds like you already know what that is) give Shiloh a jingle and place the order.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I know Shiloh is the rifle "du jour", but C. Sharps has a few on the shelf. I've owned both and don't see any flies on the CSA rifles.
In stock CSA

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jump all over that 44-90 on GunBroker. You will be glad you did.
Your welcome.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yep. I watched ET kill a huge sow with his .44-90. It was rather decisive smile

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Don & Patrick,

I really have my heart set on a .45-70. A .45-90 would be my only real alternate caliber.

I called Bill Goodman and he had the exact rifle I was looking for, a Sporter #3, with all the specs just as I wrote them.

Emphasis on HAD. He sold it this morning. frown

There's a Sporter #1 with some upgrades that will come available in June. I'm thinking hard about it. It IS a bit fancy for what I want, and it DOES have the pistol grip stock, but the other specs are in line with what I'm looking for.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if Shiloh's buttstocks are interchangeable?

Ed

IC B3

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I have shot the Shiloh's .44-77 and the .44-90bn that I know what they will do compared with my .45-70 and the .45-90.
If I was offered an even trade for a Shilon of higher dollar value In .45-70 or the .45-90 I would turn the offer down. smile

Last edited by Kurt71; 02/25/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sheeet all the cool kids on Greybeards forum have 45-70's.... in Handi rifles.... Some even rent the reamer and make the chambers longer... Anybody and everybody can shoot a 45-70,, hell you can even just buy ready mades for it....Danged ol milsurp cartridge, might as well be shooting an AR or Ak...

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Don, you and Kurt are killin' me.

I'm just a simple man with simple tastes. A bit backwards, I guess. Give me a .45-70 and I'm a happy camper.
Perhaps, once the Shiloh Sharps initial glow has worn off, I'll want to try something a bit more "exotic". Until then, .45-70 or .45-90 will make me happy.

Ed

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Was only a matter of time Ed. Your anticipation gives me chills remembering the feelings while awaiting my prize grin I've got nothing against the 45/70 but I'd be all over a 90 #3 30" full octagon with shotgun butt if one would make an appearance.Welcome aboard! cool

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Don, you and Kurt are killin' me.

I'm just a simple man with simple tastes. A bit backwards, I guess. Give me a .45-70 and I'm a happy camper.
Perhaps, once the Shiloh Sharps initial glow has worn off, I'll want to try something a bit more "exotic". Until then, .45-70 or .45-90 will make me happy.

Ed

Ed' Nothing wrong with a .45-70 I have several. I just feel the .44's are better smile There must be a reason why I just spent $350. for a chamber and sizing reamer for a .44-75 Ballard for my next rifle smile
It was stressed to me back in the 60's (Dont go where the path leads, go where there is no path and leave a trail.) and I feel the same now for the .44's The trail is the .45's so I walk the bush and leave a trail for the .44's

Kurt

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I already had my Shiloh on order when I stumbled across the High Wall, also in .45-90. I've come to like the caliber. Easy to work with, but different than a .45-70 smile

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Doesn't take much to turn a 70 into a 90. Or a 110 for that matter.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinToo-Many-Letters,Either a 44/90 or a 45/110. KILLING MACHINES grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
What, Jim, a 457125 @1200fps won't kill stuff anymore? shocked

I figure it won't kill stuff any less, either. grin

Ed

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
44 Sharps made the world safe enough they could introduce the silly little 45's, and them parlor gun Winchesters.

www.historicshooting.com
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

491 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 160user, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 44 invisible), 2,255 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,483
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.