Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Lucky he is not dead.

Noted he was carrying in condition 3.

That's an interesting observation about how he was carrying.

You could see in the shadow on the video where he digs out his pistol and racks it. I would guess when snowmobiling you wouldn't carry it on the outside with all the snow. Actually he was lucky to be able to fish it out and get it into play when he did as she was ready for round 3 when he started to shoot.

GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I always love these type of threads because so much of the discussion is based on supposition and facts not in evidence.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yep makes for good threads indeed!

he handled it differently than I would have.

some of our snowmachines have reverse some do not, most of the newer ones do, but the older sleds not as many.

looked like the snow was pretty deep, so doubt the moose wanted to give up the trail.

we had a similar incident one year coming back from Minto flats, whole group of us, came upon a cow on the snowmachine trail. to make matters worse steep hillside, bottom edge a cliff almost, steep upside.

she wouldn't budge so we shut the machines off and bs'ed awhile and let her get out of sight.

fired em up rounded a bend or two and there she was.

think one guy had a .357 but about the only serious arms amongst us.

lol, one of our guys jumps off his sled and goes up and starts trying to shoo her away. We tell him "careful Duke she's laying those ears back and hair no neck is rising when you approach her."

Not a problem, says he, I've got a sixth sense about animals and they do me, they know I'm not going to do them any harm. So on closer he got raising his arms and yelling at her.

whooooeeee here she came!

ole Duke had to bail off that lower edge of the trail and catch some brush to keep from tumbling 200 feet down the snow covered steep hillside.

OMG we laughed, either Duke or the moose's 6th sense was inoperable that day.

we finally got the poor old gal to head uphill in a place not quite as steep. Felt sorry for her, knew it stressed her and they have a hard enough life in winter. She was up high with no good browse, must have been headed for new territory or something.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
D
dla Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
That POV helmet camera distorts the distance - Ms. Moose was very close.

I don't fault the guy for shooting her - she was pressing the fight. I doubt he just left her to rot - they're mighty good eating. I don't have much sympathy for ornery moose.

Still can't figure out the Glock Model though. I thought it was a G23, but maybe the dude has really big hands and it was a G20/21.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
when I said handled it different than I would, there's some clarification needed. I'd have tried not to crowd the moose.

but after contact was made with the sled, well baby all bets are off

and if my kids are riding behind me, same result, dead moose, just with a .45/70 rather than a Glock.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
I always love these type of threads because so much of the discussion is based on supposition and facts not in evidence.

+10000

This thing is going viral. So many knee jerk reactions without really knowing the facts.

Alan

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I probably would have shown more patience, and probably would have pulled the gun while waiting.

Could be he had shooed moose off the trail before...pretty obvious he didn't think it was going to be a problem and didn't draw until after it became obvious.

It looked like his first shot was accidentally early.

I was surprised at how fast the moose went down. I'd like to know where he hit it and with what.

He shot/held his Glock at an angle. Seemed like he could shoot it ok.

Interesting video, thanks for posting it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Lucky he is not dead.

Noted he was carrying in condition 3.

I bet a moose stomping is pretty brutal...

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can't believe people saying this guy didn't have the right to shoot the moose. Some of you are crazy. not all snowmobiles have reverse. Jumping off the machine and running isn't much of an option surrounded by deep snow. Given the situation if you think about it the guy was boxed into a corner.

Couple things to note. If I had been there I would probably have assumed the moose would leave when they heard the snowmobile. Surely they would leave if you got a little closer. Did the guy indeed to kill the moose I say no. He probably thought the moose would leave the trail if he got a little closer, as most of us would. Honestly I think I would have pulled the gun sooner, when the first false charge happened out would have come the gun. I would have shot the mooose when it first touched the snow machine. If you watch the video closely the first shot he fired missed and he kinda meant that to be a warning shot as he paused for a second. When the moose started coming back thats when he let the moose have it. justified is the word I see here.

for all you condition 3 haters that think might as well not have a gun if its not got one in the pipe. Umm it worked just fine here.

Last edited by cumminscowboy; 02/26/14.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Three shots, broadside, at 15 yds with 335 gr LBT's from my 45 Colt and my bull did not go down immediately. Three more shot, broadside on the other side as the bull was leaving and it went 15 yds. Had to put a coup de grace behind the ear to finish the job. I'm totally shocked the cow went down as fast as she did with what i'm guessing is a 9mm, 357, 40 or 45 acp.

Alan

[Linked Image]

Last edited by GSSP; 02/26/14.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The only reason I posted the video is because it contained a couple of minor learning points about using a handgun defensively. That has obviously been totally over shadowed by the irrelevant points judging my the responses thus far. Oh well ......

GSSP: If you'd have shot that Bullwinkle with a .475 it would have only taken 1-shot. The Forum's SME will be along shortly to tell you how it's done ...... ;^)

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Patience is a virtue that guy didn't have or give to the moose from the get go IMHO. He pressed the issue. At least stay and put the animal down for good ya stupid bastard instead of getting back to laying down some more of your "sweet go pro footage"

D
dla Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Moose aren't impressed with warning shots. That cow needed to go in the freezer. No sympathy for ornery moose.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whoever thinks a moose is a friendly fuzzy animal has never met one. Those front feet could bust the crap out of you, if not kill you. Snowmobiles in deep snow, on a trail, without reverse are a football to a long legged moose.

He was fortunate the moose didn't incapacitate him with that attack. It is real easy to decide what the better choice is from a viewfinder, but the moment the moose attacks with the front feet, the gauntlet has been thrown and I for one don' blame the guy for shooting her.

If I am in the jury on that trial, he gets set free...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I'd rather not second guess the shooter. But I'd like sure like to read what the Investigators concluded

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Snowmobiles in deep snow, on a trail, without reverse are a football to a long legged moose."

Not judging this incident but;

Been forever since I was on one, but we used to turn them on a dime, the wild & crazy boy's (not me) would turn them on a dime while doing 30 or thereabouts! None of them to my knowledge back then (the mid 70's) had reverse. Maybe you can't do that with today's machines.

Jerry

Last edited by jerrywoodswalker; 02/26/14.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
"Snowmobiles in deep snow, on a trail, without reverse are a football to a long legged moose."

Not judging this incident but;

Been forever since I was on one, but we used to turn them on a dime, the wild & crazy boy's (not me) would turn them on a dime while doing 30 or thereabouts! None of them to my knowledge back then (the mid 70's) had reverse. Maybe you can't do that with today's machines.

Jerry

I have never been able "to turn a snowmobile on a dime" the only way you can turn them fairly quickly is with quite a bit of speed. He has deep snow and trees on either side. Lets take the trees away if he goes off the trail he risks getting the sled stuck in the snow. Yes snowmobiles do get stuck in the snow!!!! If you do go off trail you want to do it at a high rate of speed and have some for thought about where you are going. Stop the sled in powder in the wrong place you have a stuck sled with an angry moose on you.

you guys are looking at this from hindsight. That sled sounded like a chain saw running. I personally would have thought at that very moment the moose would flee at the sound. If they didn't flee I would have pulled forward more, just like the guy did. In that situation its not like the guy could turn around and back up and remove himself from the situation.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Wow. A moose charged a guy and the guy shot the moose.

Hope I sleep ok tonight.

And [bleep] that condition 3 bullschit. Get a holster and run hot.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I'm thinking that was a young bull after he dropped his antlers. I watched the video a couple times and thought there were spots on his head. Doesn't really matter. I also think the guy should have stayed put instead of advancing on the moose. Things never turn out well for the man or the moose when you force them to think quick. I am surprised at how fast it dropped and I'll only lose sleep over all that meat left in the woods.

Leave the gun, take the canolis.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I'm thinking, IMO, he drove past the moose to get some same distance before hyperventilating a bit. He stopped and looked back to see his buddy. Sure hope he 1) finished off the moose, 2) took the proper procedures to insure no meat spoilage and 3) informed the local F&G of the situation. I'd sure think the F&G saw the raw footage, if not, i'm sure the've seen it now on LiveLeak or dozens of other sites that have posted the vid. Anyone figure out what state this happened in?

Alan

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

285 members (204guy, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 222ND, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 34 invisible), 14,337 guests, and 1,110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,227
Posts18,543,941
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.