Home
Posted By: 41magfan Glock vs Moose - 02/25/14
http://clashdaily.com/2014/02/wicked-snow-mobiler-shoots-kills-attacking-moose-glock-graphic-video/
Posted By: irfubar Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/25/14
Wow, thats an interesting video, I am surprised it dropped so quickly?
Many people don't understand how dangerous a moose can be.

I used to cross country ski a trail that had a cow moose living along the creek the trail followed. One day a skier got to close and she killed him with those front hooves.
That snowmobiler was lucky he didn't catch a hoof in that attack!
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/25/14
Why didn't he just go around it or wait it out. Sheesh.
Posted By: NTG Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/25/14
Interesting...we've come across them a number of times while on 4- wheelers, usually scouting before the deer hunt. Most the time they'll just stare at you as you go by or run off. Regardless, if they're on the trail and there's not another way around, I'd never get closer to them like they did in this video. Not a very smart individual IMO.
Posted By: 4ager Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/25/14
Originally Posted by Cheyenne

Because he had a camera, a Glock, and a way to post the video. Those three in combination lead to some very stupid actions (the one shown included).
Posted By: NTG Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/25/14
BTW, is there something special that's suppose to happen when you "bark" at them? All I know is you're in the moose's home (per se) and he didn't play nice in the sandbox (IMO he provoked the moose).
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/25/14
It also was an apparent snowmobile trail and moose are supposed to yield the right of way or else (I suppose).
Posted By: bea175 Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/25/14
He must have had a Helmet Cam or Camera mounted on the Snow Mobile . I don't think this guy was in the right and should be charged with poaching . He agitated the situation by charging the young moose with the snow mobile and then shoots it and leaves the Moose wounded , plus leaving all the meat. He could have backed up and went around the animal. He cause this episode so he could YouTube a Video. I hope the Game Dept is watching this Video . Everyone knows the Video is a fake anyway , the Glock didn't blow up when it was fired.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/25/14
G20 10mm maybe?
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/25/14
Originally Posted by bea175
He must have had a Helmet Cam or Camera mounted on the Snow Mobile . I don't think this guy was in the right and should be charged with poaching . He agitated the situation by charging the young moose with the snow mobile and then shoots it and leaves the Moose wounded , plus leaving all the meat. He could have backed up and went around the animal. He cause this episode so he could YouTube a Video. I hope the Game Dept is watching this Video . Everyone knows the Video is a fake anyway , the Glock didn't blow up when it was fired.
That's how I see it too. If he didn't press the issue and had just a little patience, a gun would have never needed to come out. I wouldn't be surprised if that guy finds himself in a little hot water.

For those who are surprised/impressed with the performance; it's simple. Hit animals where you're supposed to hit them and they die. The range was close so placing a shot well wasn't too tough.

That's too bad, waste of a beautiful animal that could have been taken legally and ethically later on.

I've never hunted moose; that's one on my bucket list.
Posted By: idahoguy101 Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/25/14
I'd like to see the official fish and game report on this shooting. If there is one.
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/26/14
I know that moose can be dangerous. I've seen a couple incidents here in Idaho when a couple of numbskulls went out of their way to get too close to a cow moose and damned near got themselves made into hamburger. But it was their fault.

That moron provoked the moose attack. He saw the moose in the distance and then deliberately drove as close as he could and the moose came at him

He hauls out his pistol, shoots the moose and then left it wounded as he skedaddled around, probably to check his camera to make sure he got all the "action" for a You Tube video.

As others said, hope the State's F&G game wardens are watching that video.

L.W.

Posted By: mystro Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/26/14
Should have backed up way before confronting the moose. I would have fired a warning shot into the ground from 50 yards back. I bet it would have quickly left. Depending on if its in the rut, moose are extremely aggressive. My guess is that this could have been avoided several ways before actually shooting it. After the first charge, he would be legal to shoot it. The caveat is, it could have been handled better but the rider has enough video to prove his life was in danger. I have had black bear on several occasions bluff charge me and could have legally killed them but any hunter knows how to deescalate a situation if they can. Its a lose, lose situation when your wits can't be used instead of your gun.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/26/14
Don't snowmobiles have a reverse?

Jr. shoulda backed up the trail and waited her out.

Gunner
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/26/14
It's been quite a few years since I owned a sled. Mine didn't have reverse and that deep snow would have swallowed the machine too.

He might have figured a few feet closer with the sled might spook the moose off the trail and everything would be cool.

I guess that didn't work..................
Posted By: Redhill Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/26/14
She didn't look like she wanted to get off the trail and appeared to be ready to fight for it. Could he have got off the trail and into that deep snow without getting stuck? Didn't look like that to me. He moved down the trail toward her to scare her off and she was having none of that.

She came at him twice and was getting ready to charge a third time. On the second charge she either hit him or his sled and who knows what she would have done on the third charge. Does she need to draw blood before he was justified??

Had I been him I would have done the same thing and I was impressed with his shooting. Wonder if it was a G20?

Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/26/14
I'm not a real glock fan. But it sure got he job done..
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/26/14
Lucky he is not dead.

Noted he was carrying in condition 3.
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/26/14
Originally Posted by Redhill
She didn't look like she wanted to get off the trail and appeared to be ready to fight for it. Could he have got off the trail and into that deep snow without getting stuck? Didn't look like that to me. He moved down the trail toward her to scare her off and she was having none of that.

She came at him twice and was getting ready to charge a third time. On the second charge she either hit him or his sled and who knows what she would have done on the third charge. Does she need to draw blood before he was justified??

Had I been him I would have done the same thing and I was impressed with his shooting. Wonder if it was a G20?

Yes, we mustn�t get delayed by a wild animal in its own living room while we putter about on our motorized pleasure craft.

Yes, the shooter probably got himself into �free shot� territory for the instant where the moose was in his face. The time he picked to actually shoot it looked early to me. It�s like he was not ready when he had the chance, so he decides to rack his gun and unload.

If I goaded stuff into giving me legally justifiable "self defense" shots, or took every justifiable "self defense" shot, I could have filled a dump truck with animals (including multiple moose) and humans. Instead, I have zero shots fired in that regard, and prefer to keep it that way.

If the shooter wants to YouTube a buffalo, he should go to Yellowstone National Park. Shouldn�t be too hard to get himself charged and see how his Glock works out.

Yes, we mustn�t get delayed by a wild animal in its own living room while we putter about on our motorized pleasure craft.

Yes, the shooter probably got himself into �free shot� territory for the instant where the moose was in his face. The time he picked to actually shoot it looked early to me. It�s like he was not ready when he had the chance, so he decides to rack his gun and unload.

If I goaded stuff into giving me legally justifiable "self defense" shots, or took every justifiable "self defense" shot, I could have filled a dump truck with animals (including multiple moose) and humans. Instead, I have zero shots fired in that regard, and prefer to keep it that way.

If the shooter wants to YouTube a buffalo, he should go to Yellowstone National Park. Shouldn�t be too hard to get himself charged and see how his Glock works out.

We see things completely different with regard to this video but that's ok.

As stated I would have shot her most likely after the first charge when she came back again and would have added one more shot at the end.

But then again everyone sees things different especially behind a computer screen.
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Lucky he is not dead.

That's an interesting observation about how he was carrying.

You could see in the shadow on the video where he digs out his pistol and racks it. I would guess when snowmobiling you wouldn't carry it on the outside with all the snow. Actually he was lucky to be able to fish it out and get it into play when he did as she was ready for round 3 when he started to shoot.
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/26/14
I always love these type of threads because so much of the discussion is based on supposition and facts not in evidence.
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/26/14
yep makes for good threads indeed!

he handled it differently than I would have.

some of our snowmachines have reverse some do not, most of the newer ones do, but the older sleds not as many.

looked like the snow was pretty deep, so doubt the moose wanted to give up the trail.

we had a similar incident one year coming back from Minto flats, whole group of us, came upon a cow on the snowmachine trail. to make matters worse steep hillside, bottom edge a cliff almost, steep upside.

she wouldn't budge so we shut the machines off and bs'ed awhile and let her get out of sight.

fired em up rounded a bend or two and there she was.

think one guy had a .357 but about the only serious arms amongst us.

lol, one of our guys jumps off his sled and goes up and starts trying to shoo her away. We tell him "careful Duke she's laying those ears back and hair no neck is rising when you approach her."

Not a problem, says he, I've got a sixth sense about animals and they do me, they know I'm not going to do them any harm. So on closer he got raising his arms and yelling at her.

whooooeeee here she came!

ole Duke had to bail off that lower edge of the trail and catch some brush to keep from tumbling 200 feet down the snow covered steep hillside.

OMG we laughed, either Duke or the moose's 6th sense was inoperable that day.

we finally got the poor old gal to head uphill in a place not quite as steep. Felt sorry for her, knew it stressed her and they have a hard enough life in winter. She was up high with no good browse, must have been headed for new territory or something.
Posted By: dla Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/26/14
That POV helmet camera distorts the distance - Ms. Moose was very close.

I don't fault the guy for shooting her - she was pressing the fight. I doubt he just left her to rot - they're mighty good eating. I don't have much sympathy for ornery moose.

Still can't figure out the Glock Model though. I thought it was a G23, but maybe the dude has really big hands and it was a G20/21.
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/26/14
when I said handled it different than I would, there's some clarification needed. I'd have tried not to crowd the moose.

but after contact was made with the sled, well baby all bets are off

and if my kids are riding behind me, same result, dead moose, just with a .45/70 rather than a Glock.
Posted By: GSSP Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/26/14
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
I always love these type of threads because so much of the discussion is based on supposition and facts not in evidence.

+10000

This thing is going viral. So many knee jerk reactions without really knowing the facts.

Alan
Posted By: dvnv Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/26/14
I probably would have shown more patience, and probably would have pulled the gun while waiting.

Could be he had shooed moose off the trail before...pretty obvious he didn't think it was going to be a problem and didn't draw until after it became obvious.

It looked like his first shot was accidentally early.

I was surprised at how fast the moose went down. I'd like to know where he hit it and with what.

He shot/held his Glock at an angle. Seemed like he could shoot it ok.

Interesting video, thanks for posting it.

Posted By: HugAJackass Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/26/14
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Lucky he is not dead.

I bet a moose stomping is pretty brutal...
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/26/14
I can't believe people saying this guy didn't have the right to shoot the moose. Some of you are crazy. not all snowmobiles have reverse. Jumping off the machine and running isn't much of an option surrounded by deep snow. Given the situation if you think about it the guy was boxed into a corner.

Couple things to note. If I had been there I would probably have assumed the moose would leave when they heard the snowmobile. Surely they would leave if you got a little closer. Did the guy indeed to kill the moose I say no. He probably thought the moose would leave the trail if he got a little closer, as most of us would. Honestly I think I would have pulled the gun sooner, when the first false charge happened out would have come the gun. I would have shot the mooose when it first touched the snow machine. If you watch the video closely the first shot he fired missed and he kinda meant that to be a warning shot as he paused for a second. When the moose started coming back thats when he let the moose have it. justified is the word I see here.

for all you condition 3 haters that think might as well not have a gun if its not got one in the pipe. Umm it worked just fine here.
Posted By: GSSP Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/26/14
Three shots, broadside, at 15 yds with 335 gr LBT's from my 45 Colt and my bull did not go down immediately. Three more shot, broadside on the other side as the bull was leaving and it went 15 yds. Had to put a coup de grace behind the ear to finish the job. I'm totally shocked the cow went down as fast as she did with what i'm guessing is a 9mm, 357, 40 or 45 acp.

Alan

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 41magfan Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/26/14
The only reason I posted the video is because it contained a couple of minor learning points about using a handgun defensively. That has obviously been totally over shadowed by the irrelevant points judging my the responses thus far. Oh well ......

GSSP: If you'd have shot that Bullwinkle with a .475 it would have only taken 1-shot. The Forum's SME will be along shortly to tell you how it's done ...... ;^)
Posted By: Hunter2678 Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/26/14
Patience is a virtue that guy didn't have or give to the moose from the get go IMHO. He pressed the issue. At least stay and put the animal down for good ya stupid bastard instead of getting back to laying down some more of your "sweet go pro footage"
Posted By: dla Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/26/14
Moose aren't impressed with warning shots. That cow needed to go in the freezer. No sympathy for ornery moose.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/26/14
Whoever thinks a moose is a friendly fuzzy animal has never met one. Those front feet could bust the crap out of you, if not kill you. Snowmobiles in deep snow, on a trail, without reverse are a football to a long legged moose.

He was fortunate the moose didn't incapacitate him with that attack. It is real easy to decide what the better choice is from a viewfinder, but the moment the moose attacks with the front feet, the gauntlet has been thrown and I for one don' blame the guy for shooting her.

If I am in the jury on that trial, he gets set free...
Posted By: idahoguy101 Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/26/14
I'd rather not second guess the shooter. But I'd like sure like to read what the Investigators concluded
Posted By: jerrywoodswalker Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/26/14
"Snowmobiles in deep snow, on a trail, without reverse are a football to a long legged moose."

Not judging this incident but;

Been forever since I was on one, but we used to turn them on a dime, the wild & crazy boy's (not me) would turn them on a dime while doing 30 or thereabouts! None of them to my knowledge back then (the mid 70's) had reverse. Maybe you can't do that with today's machines.

Jerry
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/27/14
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
"Snowmobiles in deep snow, on a trail, without reverse are a football to a long legged moose."

Not judging this incident but;

Been forever since I was on one, but we used to turn them on a dime, the wild & crazy boy's (not me) would turn them on a dime while doing 30 or thereabouts! None of them to my knowledge back then (the mid 70's) had reverse. Maybe you can't do that with today's machines.

Jerry

I have never been able "to turn a snowmobile on a dime" the only way you can turn them fairly quickly is with quite a bit of speed. He has deep snow and trees on either side. Lets take the trees away if he goes off the trail he risks getting the sled stuck in the snow. Yes snowmobiles do get stuck in the snow!!!! If you do go off trail you want to do it at a high rate of speed and have some for thought about where you are going. Stop the sled in powder in the wrong place you have a stuck sled with an angry moose on you.

you guys are looking at this from hindsight. That sled sounded like a chain saw running. I personally would have thought at that very moment the moose would flee at the sound. If they didn't flee I would have pulled forward more, just like the guy did. In that situation its not like the guy could turn around and back up and remove himself from the situation.
Posted By: deflave Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/27/14
Wow. A moose charged a guy and the guy shot the moose.

Hope I sleep ok tonight.

And [bleep] that condition 3 bullschit. Get a holster and run hot.

Travis
Posted By: klondike_mike Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/27/14
I'm thinking that was a young bull after he dropped his antlers. I watched the video a couple times and thought there were spots on his head. Doesn't really matter. I also think the guy should have stayed put instead of advancing on the moose. Things never turn out well for the man or the moose when you force them to think quick. I am surprised at how fast it dropped and I'll only lose sleep over all that meat left in the woods.
Posted By: GSSP Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/27/14
I'm thinking, IMO, he drove past the moose to get some same distance before hyperventilating a bit. He stopped and looked back to see his buddy. Sure hope he 1) finished off the moose, 2) took the proper procedures to insure no meat spoilage and 3) informed the local F&G of the situation. I'd sure think the F&G saw the raw footage, if not, i'm sure the've seen it now on LiveLeak or dozens of other sites that have posted the vid. Anyone figure out what state this happened in?

Alan
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/27/14
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
when I said handled it different than I would, there's some clarification needed. I'd have tried not to crowd the moose.

but after contact was made with the sled, well baby all bets are off

and if my kids are riding behind me, same result, dead moose, just with a .45/70 rather than a Glock.

He was wrong on his let's move closer and the moose will move off the trail theory. They just don't give up a packed trail for the deep stuff. I can't believe he let the moose make contact I couldn't tell if it kicked or stomped the cowling and how close it was but too close for me to be comfortable if I had been there. He did some dumb things, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. I hope he called F&W and reported the incident instead of letting the meat rot. He's got a tough explanation there but I don't see them charging him if he reports it. I'm with you Randy. I came real close to dropping the hammer with moose out 4 wheeling during calving season. We didn't see the moose or the calf till she boiled out of the grass and went to stomp my buddy and his grand kid. Just lucky he was far enough away from the calf that she didn't want to come the extra 5 yards to stomp him and went back. We got out of dodge. smile
Posted By: K1500 Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/27/14
Originally Posted by deflave
Wow. A moose charged a guy and the guy shot the moose.

Hope I sleep ok tonight.

And [bleep] that condition 3 bullschit. Get a holster and run hot.

Travis

^this. Yes, the guy may have made a mistake by advancing. Of course, none of us were there? MIT looks to me like he would have had a very hard time turning around, and he may have thought he would scare it away by advancing. I've made worse mistakes in my life.

It was impressive performance, quick shooting and a good end result for him. Without arguing stopping power, since the caliber was not known, let's just say he was probably not too pissed off he has an extra 10 or so rounds on tap as compared to a revolver.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/27/14

It isn't the rounds in the magazine that count, it is the rounds in the moose. I killed a bigger moose than that with a 357 magnum, but it wasn't charging me and I wasn't on a snowmobile. 158 grains in the brainpan stops even the toughest customers.

I have been around wild animals all my life and I am going to give the nod to the moose being more unpredictable than either of the bear species we have here in Montana...
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/27/14
Originally Posted by shrapnel

It isn't the rounds in the magazine that count, it is the rounds in the moose. I killed a bigger moose than that with a 357 magnum, but it wasn't charging me and I wasn't on a snowmobile. 158 grains in the brainpan stops even the toughest customers.

I have been around wild animals all my life and I am going to give the nod to the moose being more unpredictable than either of the bear species we have here in Montana...

+1 In Alaska too. I've known several people who got stomped by moose. Bad deal. A couple of people died.
Posted By: toad Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/27/14
if you push anything enough, it will turn on you.

which is exactly what the idiot snowmobiler was looking for.

from Mt FWP regs

Motorized Vehicles
It is illegal for anyone to:
� use a motorized vehicle or aircraft to
concentrate, drive, rally, stir-up, corral,
or harass game animals.
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/27/14
While I am sure we do not have Alaska-sized populations, we hang out in an area where moose were reintroduced decades ago, and we bump into a lot of them at close quarters, including cows with calves during the fall while bowhunting. It is amazing how close you can be to one of those big critters before realizing it. Like many have said, they are not afraid of people or their machines or firearms. They do not cede territory, but they do move along at their own pace if left undisturbed. They won�t hesitate to charge when they get fed up or feel crowded. I�ve had to stand my ground against a charging juvy bull to cover someone who pissed it off getting too close to take a picture, so I know the feeling.

For people who say it�s just a moose, consider this. The Game and Fish department is pretty darn proud of its moose tags around here, and every provocation incident like this one, and every moose shot by a nonresident who thinks he just filled his elk tag, goes into the mortality counts when setting the season quota numbers.
Posted By: semi Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/27/14
okay, the guy was attacked he had every right to defend himself. And no, NOT all snowmobiles have reverse. If he would have gotten of the sled and tried to turn it around by hand, who knows if the moose would have taken that as aggressive action. I for one would keep my eyes on the moose every second and turning a sled around would require you stop looking. I am a snowmobilier and a hunter, and have come across animals on the trail albeit never a moose. But it appeared to me that he thought he had a way around the moose when he approached. You are basically helpless in this situation. The moose retreated and again it appeared as if he want to keep the moose retreating by moving forward.
Posted By: justin10mm Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/27/14
Judging by the way he was carrying, if that moose had really wanted him he would not have been able to do much about it. He was lucky the moose broke off and gave him enough time to rack his slide and crank off a few rounds. IMO the guy was a tard.
Posted By: Redhill Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/27/14
I came across this info on the Field & Stream web site that relates to the video:

"Bass Fishing
Man uses Glock in self-defense against angry moose attack!!!
Uploaded on January 16, 2014
Tweet

A man, age 51 with a life threatening heart condition (dilated cardiomyopathy), while snowmobiling out west with his son, comes upon a moose in the wild. Concerned that an animal attack might be about to happen, the site seeing experience goes bad when the moose, not wanting to be on camera, decides to charge. Coming over the snowmobile, the 1,000 pound bull attacks, kicking the Dad in the chest; the moose's intentions were clear. This was one angry animal attack. With only a hand gun to defend himself and his son, the Father fires a warning shot only to quickly fire 4 more to defer a 2nd attack...when animals attack"

No more information was available to indicate how these detail were obtained but they are very finite ones as in the age, the heart condition, the second rider was his son and the gender of the moose.

He had a heart condition to begin with and he was hit by the moose in the chest most likely in that second attack.

I would have done the same thing and perhaps would have been shooting after the first rush and when he came at me again the second time. Still would like to know the caliber.
Posted By: toad Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/27/14
Originally Posted by semi
okay, the guy was attacked he had every right to defend himself. And no, NOT all snowmobiles have reverse. If he would have gotten of the sled and tried to turn it around by hand, who knows if the moose would have taken that as aggressive action. I for one would keep my eyes on the moose every second and turning a sled around would require you stop looking. I am a snowmobilier and a hunter, and have come across animals on the trail albeit never a moose. But it appeared to me that he thought he had a way around the moose when he approached. You are basically helpless in this situation. The moose retreated and again it appeared as if he want to keep the moose retreating by moving forward.

tell me how that is not driving or harassing a game animal with a motorized vehicle...(illegal anywhere in the west)

Posted By: 45BBH Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/28/14
Well if the guy had a heart issue and the moose had already come at him before and it was on its way back, I don't blame the guy.

Pausing the video it looks like he's carrying a small Glock, I'm guessing probably a 27 or 30, recoil seemed small.
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/28/14
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Whoever thinks a moose is a friendly fuzzy animal has never met one. Those front feet could bust the crap out of you, if not kill you. Snowmobiles in deep snow, on a trail, without reverse are a football to a long legged moose.

He was fortunate the moose didn't incapacitate him with that attack. It is real easy to decide what the better choice is from a viewfinder, but the moment the moose attacks with the front feet, the gauntlet has been thrown and I for one don' blame the guy for shooting her.

If I am in the jury on that trial, he gets set free...

Agree, and shooting an attacking one I have zero problem with. It was the actions of the shooter that led up to the initial attack I had a problem with. Big difference. That shyt was avoidable.
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/28/14
That shyt was avoidable.

Oh hell yes. I could piss off 3 a day just like that, right here in my yard. It's really not hard to do. Deep snow, no reverse, ect. is just an excuse.
Posted By: iblong Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/28/14
Not sure what I'd do in that situation,but I would not have had to rack a slide.Had a close call a while back in the boundry waters
(BWCA).Canoeing down a narrow river with a girl friend there was a cow on the bank,She wanted a couple pictures so we stopped paddling figured she would bolt.We figured wrong there was a calf on the opposite shore we did not see until to late,I saw the calf the same time she hit the water.The only thing that saved us was
I was in a very sleek canoe and did a 90 away and paddled hard down stream,she was three feet from us when she broke off toward her calf.lesson learned give them space.
Posted By: semi Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/28/14
AGain, just don't get it.. the animal attacked. To some its like "how can he shoot an unarmed animal?" its a silly statement. Animals are so unpredictable. I for one would not wait to be mauled before shooting. Seems stupid doesn't it?
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/28/14
Originally Posted by watch4bear
That shyt was avoidable.

Oh hell yes. I could piss off 3 a day just like that, right here in my yard. It's really not hard to do. Deep snow, no reverse, ect. is just an excuse.

You don't think the fact that the guy was wearing a GoPro had anything to do with his actions, do you? Yeah, me neither...

whistle wink
Posted By: toad Re: Glock vs Moose - 02/28/14
AGain, just don't get it.. the animal attacked. To some its like "how can he shoot an unarmed animal?" its a silly statement. Animals are so unpredictable. I for one would not wait to be mauled before shooting. Seems stupid doesn't it?

the animal attacked because the stoopid phouckin' snowmobiler chose to harass/chase it off of the trail, (which is illegal in every state AFAIK) instead of turning around or taking a ten minute break and letting the moose wander off on it's own.

nobody here would have an issue with defending himself against an unprovoked attack, but this was not an unprovoked attack.

Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Glock vs Moose - 03/01/14
If Obama had a moose....
Posted By: GSSP Re: Glock vs Moose - 03/01/14
The B&C Facebook page mentions the Wyoming Game & Fish Dept is looking for info related to this incident.

The plot thickens!

Alan
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Glock vs Moose - 03/01/14
I'm guessing he put one in the bean. He dropped pretty damn quick.

A hiker tried to shoo a mt goat of a trail out here a year or two ago. It didn't end so well. He got himself killed in front of the wife and kids.

Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Glock vs Moose - 03/01/14
Originally Posted by GSSP
The B&C Facebook page mentions the Wyoming Game & Fish Dept is looking for info related to this incident.

The plot thickens!

Alan

I think they are just trying to find out if it happened in Wyoming. If it did, the shooter probably skates on any �out of season�, �shooting from a vehicle�, �no license� and �wrong firearm� charges. But, I can easily see a charge of harassing wildlife. Also, unless the shooter contacted a warden and obtained a proper permit (which is highly unlikely if G&F is asking for any info), taking any meat from the animal would be a poaching violation. Not reporting it to the G&F and leaving it to rot could be met with a wanton waste charge. These are not things that would be ignored here.

The state encourages people to come here and enjoy themselves. Bring your guns. Bring your motorized toys. No problem. It is best to do a little due diligence, though, and respect the local wildlife population.
Posted By: DaddyRat Re: Glock vs Moose - 03/02/14
He stopped when he first saw the moose, then he closes the distance quite a bit after only mere seconds. He is a Dumb a**. Is it a criminal charge for shooting the moose after the attack? Probably not, but I would charge him with harassing wildlife. No moose here but we have elk and bears. Authorities get real upset when you get within 50 yards of them intentionally which this guy clearly did. Should be pending charges for harassing wildlife but not for shooting the moose. Unfortunately common sense ain't that common.
Posted By: Bigbuck215 Re: Glock vs Moose - 03/02/14
Originally Posted by toad

the animal attacked because the stoopid phouckin' snowmobiler chose to harass/chase it off of the trail, (which is illegal in every state AFAIK) instead of turning around or taking a ten minute break and letting the moose wander off on it's own.

nobody here would have an issue with defending himself against an unprovoked attack, but this was not an unprovoked attack.

Couple of us were riding in YNP behind a "ranger." All of a sudden there's a moose in the road, so we stopped. Ranger began to yell at moose while gunning the engine and slowly advancing on moose. He had his gun ready (so did I but he didn't know it). We got pretty close and moose made a couple of runs but then headed up the hillside. Trail was much wider and the snow wasn't as deep and the ranger was ready to start shooting. He said a man's life was far more valuable than a moose's and he would have shot if moose had got any closer.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Glock vs Moose - 03/02/14
Good thing he was armed. Pretty effective, too.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Glock vs Moose - 03/02/14

This is how I saw it as well.
And I would bet that a big part of the advice here comes from people that have never ridden a snowmobile or ever came almost face to face with an angry moose. They get angrified very easily. And quickly.
Posted By: Ulvejaeger Re: Glock vs Moose - 03/02/14
Redhill you are unreal. The POS continued to crowd the animal which he had no right to do. I hope he gets rung up real seriously. What the he....l was his big hurry??? Mommy calling her little boy???
Cheers
Posted By: Redhill Re: Glock vs Moose - 03/02/14
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215

Couple of us were riding in YNP behind a "ranger." All of a sudden there's a moose in the road, so we stopped. Ranger began to yell at moose while gunning the engine and slowly advancing on moose. He had his gun ready (so did I but he didn't know it). We got pretty close and moose made a couple of runs but then headed up the hillside. Trail was much wider and the snow wasn't as deep and the ranger was ready to start shooting. He said a man's life was far more valuable than a moose's and he would have shot if moose had got any closer.

But...but... but didn't the Ranger know that the animal had rights???

After all the two riders were in the Moose's front room and he should have knocked first, at least gone off trail and got stuck and let the animal enjoy his/her environment.

Amazing posts on this topic here.

I liked your post and reflects the real world of animal encounters.

My guess is that if the first rider would have stayed put the moose would have continued up the trail and encountered the rider at that point. Good thing about that option is that he could have had time to dig out the Glock and rack it.

Did he know that the first charge was going to be a bluff?? I don't want to bet my life and limb and the life and limb of my son behind me on that chance. I probably would be shooting on the second charge before it got to me or even on the first charge had I been ready.

Simple - my life is more valuable than any animal, as stated by the Ranger.

Animals do not have rights are normally defined. Search the Constitution and get back to me if anybody finds those rights there or in the Bill of Rights.
Posted By: toad Re: Glock vs Moose - 03/02/14
the 'animals don't have rights' argument is horseschitt. the correct question is 'does the snowmobiler have the right to harass a big game animal with a motorized vehicle?' the answer is a big fat no.

from Idaho Fish and Game regs:

"It is Unlawful To:

� Use any motorized vehicle to molest, stir up, rally or drive
any game animal or game bird."

every U.S. state with moose has similar laws, and those laws are there to protect the idiot on the snowmobile as much as the moose.

again, nobody would have an issue with a guy defending himself from an unprovoked attack, but that was not an unprovoked attack. I've met more moose than i can count in circumstances ranging from my front yard to sniffing my tent to trail encounters on foot, ATV, and snowmobile, and i see the guy in the vid as an idiot that should be charged with harassing the moose.

And I would bet that a big part of the advice here comes from people that have never ridden a snowmobile or ever came almost face to face with an angry moose. They get angrified very easily. And quickly.

i'll wager anything you wish that I've been face to face with more moose than you. if you chase a moose and it gets pi$$ed (and it will) that's your damn fault, not the moose's.

the 'secret' that escapes many is "DON'T CHASE THE MOOSE". it really is that simple.
Posted By: viking Re: Glock vs Moose - 03/02/14
I am going to ramble a little.

I wonder if this story will be in the Glock magazine next year, "my Glock safed my life".
If this had been a similar but different scenario, like I was walking down the street and this hood rat.....
I wonder if the powers that be approve of sleds off established trails....
I wonder if he tried to turn around and got stuck in the deep snow or busted up his sled on fallen logs and been stranded in the middle of no where if the moose would of sauntered off.
Posted By: toad Re: Glock vs Moose - 03/02/14
i bet you 'wonder' a lot.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Glock vs Moose - 03/02/14
What if he had just left the Moose alone and let it wander off, or better yet , not videoed the whole ordeal and posted it online?
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Glock vs Moose - 03/02/14
Then he would just be a boring schmuck like most people who have encounters with potentially dangerous critters, and he would not get his 15 minutes of fame.
"i'll wager anything you wish that I've been face to face with more moose than you. if you chase a moose and it gets pi$$ed (and it will) that's your damn fault, not the moose's.

the 'secret' that escapes many is "DON'T CHASE THE MOOSE". it really is that simple."

You win. No contest.
Posted By: semi Re: Glock vs Moose - 03/03/14
the 'animals don't have rights' argument is horseschitt. the correct question is 'does the snowmobiler have the right to harass a big game animal with a motorized vehicle?' the answer is a big fat no.

from Idaho Fish and Game regs:

"It is Unlawful To:

� Use any motorized vehicle to molest, stir up, rally or drive
any game animal or game bird."

every U.S. state with moose has similar laws, and those laws are there to protect the idiot on the snowmobile as much as the moose.

again, nobody would have an issue with a guy defending himself from an unprovoked attack, but that was not an unprovoked attack. I've met more moose than i can count in circumstances ranging from my front yard to sniffing my tent to trail encounters on foot, ATV, and snowmobile, and i see the guy in the vid as an idiot that should be charged with harassing the moose.

i'll wager anything you wish that I've been face to face with more moose than you. if you chase a moose and it gets pi$$ed (and it will) that's your damn fault, not the moose's.

the 'secret' that escapes many is "DON'T CHASE THE MOOSE". it really is that simple.

simply amazing.. you are one of those that think a human should risk dying because of your precious moose. The moose wasn't going to give ground and it was agressive. Human life is always more important than a damn moose. Give it up already. Tell us, or explain to us how this moose was just going to walk away.. tell us how sure you were that would happen. .
Posted By: toad Re: Glock vs Moose - 03/03/14
you could make a case for killing every moose you see when you don't have a clue.

here is a quick hint. I know the moose would just walk away because that's what it was doing. see picture below. do you get it? that moose's first reaction was to retreat. the risk to human life was caused by the human chasing it. the moose does not want to waste the energy stomping idiots into grease spots unless he has to. the idiot snowmobiler forced him to fight. the moose was retreating when the idiot thought he'd push it (illegally). the results speak for themselves. I am 100% certain that I could have survived that encounter without getting hurt or killing the moose, mainly because I've done it enough to know.

a cow with a calf or a bull in the rut puts me on Defcon III, but that moose was neither.

go read the similar thread in the AK forums and see what the Alaskans that also deal with moose every day have to say...

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Glock vs Moose - 03/03/14
FWIW, an online poll by a Casper radio station is running about 70% against the guy and 7.5% "other", with only 25% supporting the dude. Link
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Glock vs Moose - 03/03/14
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Originally Posted by bea175
That's how I see it too. If he didn't press the issue and had just a little patience, a gun would have never needed to come out. I wouldn't be surprised if that guy finds himself in a little hot water.

For those who are surprised/impressed with the performance; it's simple. Hit animals where you're supposed to hit them and they die. The range was close so placing a shot well wasn't too tough.

That's too bad, waste of a beautiful animal that could have been taken legally and ethically later on.

I've never hunted moose; that's one on my bucket list.

thats pretty much it, dumb sh*t comes to mind, and offensive to boot. I would like to see him charged on multiple counts, didn't have to happen.
Posted By: ConradCA Re: Glock vs Moose - 03/05/14
Originally Posted by dla
That POV helmet camera distorts the distance - Ms. Moose was very close.

I don't fault the guy for shooting her - she was pressing the fight. I doubt he just left her to rot - they're mighty good eating. I don't have much sympathy for ornery moose.

He did the right thing in leaving the moose alone after shooting it. The game wardens/rangers are going to want to investigate the shooting and be able to see the tracks, etc. undisturbed. They decided that it was a good shot.
Posted By: ConradCA Re: Glock vs Moose - 03/05/14
tell me how that is not driving or harassing a game animal with a motorized vehicle...(illegal anywhere in the west)

It's pretty simple. He was riding on a trail with his son behind him on a different snowmobile. He had no way to turn around or otherwise avoid the moose. He moved forward to scare off the moose and it attacked him.

Driving or harassing a game animal means that the animal is running away from you and your chasing it.
Posted By: toad Re: Glock vs Moose - 03/05/14
Originally Posted by ConradCA

It's pretty simple. He was riding on a trail with his son behind him on a different snowmobile. He had no way to turn around or otherwise avoid the moose. He moved forward to scare off the moose and it attacked him.

Driving or harassing a game animal means that the animal is running away from you and your chasing it.

From Wikipedia

"Harassment covers a wide range of behaviours of an offensive nature. It is commonly understood as behaviour intended to disturb or upset, and it is characteristically repetitive. In the legal sense, it is intentional behaviour which is found threatening or disturbing."

but, tell me. is this moose not running away and the guy not chasing it? that is exactly what I'm seeing, and I've seen enough moose to know which end the head is on.

in any case, he is intentionally disturbing it (see above)

[Linked Image]
Posted By: semi Re: Glock vs Moose - 03/05/14
sorry, i don't buy it.. Animals especially a moose is way to unpredictable. If there is a chance he is going to stomp me or my son i would do the same damn thing.
Posted By: toad Re: Glock vs Moose - 03/05/14
you mean you'd chase it with a snowmobile till it was pi$$ed, then shoot it when it decided it had enough? might as well post the vid on youtube so the Fish and Game Dept has their evidence.

Moose are very predictable in that if you anger them, they will turn on you, so why pick that route first unless your objective is just to kill a moose out of season?

have you even seen a moose in the wild?
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: Glock vs Moose - 03/06/14
The guy took one bluff charge and one real charge before he pulled the pistol. Seems to me he was a little slow on the the draw.

In hind sight he pushed the bull plenty hard but then again the bull wanted the fight. Moose are not to be trifled with and when you catch them on a snow machine trail they may decide to fight for the right of way. Bison will do the same but deer and elk will bail off in the heavy snow.

Horses and mules really hate moose. Sometimes you have to be pretty aggressive if you get in a tight spot with an ornery moose when mounted. If this stuff freaks you out then you might stay out of the moose woods because sometimes a moose just wants a fight. cool
Posted By: toad Re: Glock vs Moose - 03/06/14
i've been on horses around moose, too. like say, 20 years on a moose infested riverbottom ranch...the woods here are all moose woods and I go there without second thought.

again, I have no problem defending oneself against an unprovoked attack, but this was not unprovoked.
i've been on horses around moose, too. like say, 20 years on a moose infested riverbottom ranch...the woods here are all moose woods.

again, I have no problem defending oneself against an unprovoked attack, but this was not unprovoked.

I just have a hard time with Monday Morning Quarterbacking when it is pretty evident the guy was not looking for a fight but just wanted to get down the trail. Moose should have moved and I expect game to get out of the road.

He never pulled the pistol until after the moose charged twice and made contact with him. He unquestionably fired a warning shot on the third charge. Sometimes schit just goes wrong and I guess I am glad the moose died and not the guy or his kid.
I don't think he was malicious, just stupid.

I don't know as I figure the moose should have given right of way. Bull wanted the fight and some times there is simply no simple right answer. Better to win a fight you didn't want than worry about how a fight could have been avoided.
Posted By: Redhill Re: Glock vs Moose - 03/06/14
I agree with you John. My life and the life of my son are of more worth than any animal and I would shoot to kill to protect both. The moose was turning to attack the 3rd time and the rider did not move as he was standing up and digging out the Glock. I'm thinking I would have been shooting sooner.

The rider did not meet the test of harassment in my book and I would love to be on that jury if it goes to a jury trial. I would vote not guilty on every ballot.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns

I don't know as I figure the moose should have given right of way. Bull wanted the fight and some times there is simply no simple right answer. Better to win a fight you didn't want than worry about how a fight could have been avoided.

the Alaskans get it. imagine that. shocked from Moose attack or Idiot attack on the Alaska board

"Dumb ass that has no clue"
"Advancing on a moose with ears laid back and hackles up does not give you the right to claim self-defense in my book"
"Should have stayed back when he first stopped."
"Dummy."
"I usually give the benefit of the doubt to the victim but in this case, he is totally at fault"
"Certainly an idiot, and didn't handle the interaction well from the start"
"What a stupid puckin areshole. He provoked it all by moving forward. Wait 5 minutes that moose would of gone away"
"Idiot attack, imo. He should have just sat there and gave the moose a minute or two to move down the trail or off of it."
"I don't think there is much the guy can say on his defense after posting that video."
and so on...
Posted By: California_Kid Re: Glock vs Moose - 03/06/14
I do not believe he intentionally provoked the moose but it appears as though there were a couple of times during the encounter were he could have de-escalated the situation. To "drive or push" the moose was obviously a mistake and maybe done only because he knew he had a gun. Had he waited or even backed up (if snow mobiles have a reverse) I think as mentioned earlier the moose would have moved on. I have had similar situations with bears when my wife and I used to ride the Harley, but I certainly never tried to herd one. Usually just waiting until they left or turning around and retreating a safe distance.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Glock vs Moose - 03/06/14
i've been on horses around moose, too. like say, 20 years on a moose infested riverbottom ranch...the woods here are all moose woods.

I just have a hard time with Monday Morning Quarterbacking when it is pretty evident the guy was not looking for a fight but just wanted to get down the trail. Moose should have moved and I expect game to get out of the road.

He never pulled the pistol until after the moose charged twice and made contact with him. He unquestionably fired a warning shot on the third charge. Sometimes schit just goes wrong and I guess I am glad the moose died and not the guy or his kid.
+1
Posted By: California_Kid Re: Glock vs Moose - 03/06/14
[quote=JohnBurns

[/quote]

Moose should have moved? You expect them to get out of the way? lol I pretty much "expect" just the opposite.
Posted By: NH Hunter Re: Glock vs Moose - 03/06/14
I posted this on the campfire thread a while back. edited as well.

That moose was on the trail because the snow was deep off trail. This guy was pressuring the moose and wouldn't give it space or time. He is an @ss and I hope F&G tracks him down and takes action.

If you notice when the camera first comes on there was another trail that went to the left, I after seeing the size of the opening after his joy ride past the wounded moose I would guess that the side trail likely arrived at the same clearing.

Yes moose can be very dangerous animals, however he didn't stumble on this at high speed, he came across it with plenty of distance.

After the first charge he followed the moose immediately which prompted the other charge which had contact. It is entirely his fault as he was aggressive with his machine.
Posted By: semi Re: Glock vs Moose - 03/06/14
I agree with you John. My life and the life of my son are of more worth than any animal and I would shoot to kill to protect both. The moose was turning to attack the 3rd time and the rider did not move as he was standing up and digging out the Glock. I'm thinking I would have been shooting sooner.

The rider did not meet the test of harassment in my book and I would love to be on that jury if it goes to a jury trial. I would vote not guilty on every ballot.

+1
Posted By: keith Re: Glock vs Moose - 03/06/14
the moment the moose attacks with the front feet, I for one don't blame the guy for shooting the moose.

I do fault him for condition 3.
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: Glock vs Moose - 03/06/14
I'm with Toad on this one 100%.

The shooter should have the book thrown at him.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Glock vs Moose - 03/07/14

Because he is a douchebag!
Posted By: toad Re: Glock vs Moose - 03/08/14
out all of the moose I've seen over the years, I've shot one. some a$$hole had shot it 20 times or so with .22 LR and left it still alive.

I've had to dodge moose once. somewhat my fault. I was out walking my lab and found a calf moose tangled up in a woven-wire fence. mom was nowhere in sight so I went to work cutting the wire with my leatherman. while I was doing that my lab, in his infinite wisdom found the mother and 'led' her back to us at a full run. I quit cutting the calf out and climbed a cottonwood tree like a spider monkey. i spent the better part of half hour in that tree until the calf finished working itself out of the fence and the pair wandered off. i had a rifle with me but didn't need it. dog was at the house when i made it home.

had a small bull fall in behind me and follow me way too close (30-50 yards) last fall while i was hunting. i went of full alert but just kept walking slowly like i was and eventually left him browsing willows. this could have gone bad fast, too, but turned out to be just another cool memory.

'getting aggressive' would have gained nothing but two dead moose.
Posted By: McInnis Re: Glock vs Moose - 03/08/14
Seems like this video is something of a Rorschach test. What a person's first reaction is will tell you a lot about him.

After the first charge I would have done anything I could to avoid the moose, even if it meant not getting to where I was going for a while.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Glock vs Moose - 03/08/14
That action wouldn't have made a good internet video
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: Glock vs Moose - 03/08/14

Nothing wrong with a few dead moose, they be tasty. cool

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bea175 Re: Glock vs Moose - 03/08/14

[Linked Image]

should have used a Glock instead of that old hog leg
Posted By: toad Re: Glock vs Moose - 03/08/14

punching your moose tag is a good thing.

taking a tag away from somebody because I think moose should be afraid of me is not. that's just not how they are wired.

© 24hourcampfire