Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by ConradCA
Originally Posted by toad
tell me how that is not driving or harassing a game animal with a motorized vehicle...(illegal anywhere in the west)

It's pretty simple. He was riding on a trail with his son behind him on a different snowmobile. He had no way to turn around or otherwise avoid the moose. He moved forward to scare off the moose and it attacked him.

Driving or harassing a game animal means that the animal is running away from you and your chasing it.

From Wikipedia

"Harassment covers a wide range of behaviours of an offensive nature. It is commonly understood as behaviour intended to disturb or upset, and it is characteristically repetitive. In the legal sense, it is intentional behaviour which is found threatening or disturbing."

but, tell me. is this moose not running away and the guy not chasing it? that is exactly what I'm seeing, and I've seen enough moose to know which end the head is on.

in any case, he is intentionally disturbing it (see above)

[Linked Image]

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
sorry, i don't buy it.. Animals especially a moose is way to unpredictable. If there is a chance he is going to stomp me or my son i would do the same damn thing.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
you mean you'd chase it with a snowmobile till it was pi$$ed, then shoot it when it decided it had enough? might as well post the vid on youtube so the Fish and Game Dept has their evidence.

Moose are very predictable in that if you anger them, they will turn on you, so why pick that route first unless your objective is just to kill a moose out of season?

have you even seen a moose in the wild?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The guy took one bluff charge and one real charge before he pulled the pistol. Seems to me he was a little slow on the the draw.

In hind sight he pushed the bull plenty hard but then again the bull wanted the fight. Moose are not to be trifled with and when you catch them on a snow machine trail they may decide to fight for the right of way. Bison will do the same but deer and elk will bail off in the heavy snow.

Horses and mules really hate moose. Sometimes you have to be pretty aggressive if you get in a tight spot with an ornery moose when mounted. If this stuff freaks you out then you might stay out of the moose woods because sometimes a moose just wants a fight. cool

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
i've been on horses around moose, too. like say, 20 years on a moose infested riverbottom ranch...the woods here are all moose woods and I go there without second thought.

again, I have no problem defending oneself against an unprovoked attack, but this was not unprovoked.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i've been on horses around moose, too. like say, 20 years on a moose infested riverbottom ranch...the woods here are all moose woods.

again, I have no problem defending oneself against an unprovoked attack, but this was not unprovoked.

I just have a hard time with Monday Morning Quarterbacking when it is pretty evident the guy was not looking for a fight but just wanted to get down the trail. Moose should have moved and I expect game to get out of the road.

He never pulled the pistol until after the moose charged twice and made contact with him. He unquestionably fired a warning shot on the third charge. Sometimes schit just goes wrong and I guess I am glad the moose died and not the guy or his kid.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I don't think he was malicious, just stupid.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I don't know as I figure the moose should have given right of way. Bull wanted the fight and some times there is simply no simple right answer. Better to win a fight you didn't want than worry about how a fight could have been avoided.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree with you John. My life and the life of my son are of more worth than any animal and I would shoot to kill to protect both. The moose was turning to attack the 3rd time and the rider did not move as he was standing up and digging out the Glock. I'm thinking I would have been shooting sooner.

The rider did not meet the test of harassment in my book and I would love to be on that jury if it goes to a jury trial. I would vote not guilty on every ballot.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

I don't know as I figure the moose should have given right of way. Bull wanted the fight and some times there is simply no simple right answer. Better to win a fight you didn't want than worry about how a fight could have been avoided.

the Alaskans get it. imagine that. shocked from Moose attack or Idiot attack on the Alaska board

"Dumb ass that has no clue"
"Advancing on a moose with ears laid back and hackles up does not give you the right to claim self-defense in my book"
"Should have stayed back when he first stopped."
"Dummy."
"I usually give the benefit of the doubt to the victim but in this case, he is totally at fault"
"Certainly an idiot, and didn't handle the interaction well from the start"
"What a stupid puckin areshole. He provoked it all by moving forward. Wait 5 minutes that moose would of gone away"
"Idiot attack, imo. He should have just sat there and gave the moose a minute or two to move down the trail or off of it."
"I don't think there is much the guy can say on his defense after posting that video."
and so on...

IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I do not believe he intentionally provoked the moose but it appears as though there were a couple of times during the encounter were he could have de-escalated the situation. To "drive or push" the moose was obviously a mistake and maybe done only because he knew he had a gun. Had he waited or even backed up (if snow mobiles have a reverse) I think as mentioned earlier the moose would have moved on. I have had similar situations with bears when my wife and I used to ride the Harley, but I certainly never tried to herd one. Usually just waiting until they left or turning around and retreating a safe distance.

Farming, or anything else for that matter, is easy when your plow's a keyboard and you're a 1000 miles from the field.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
i've been on horses around moose, too. like say, 20 years on a moose infested riverbottom ranch...the woods here are all moose woods.

I just have a hard time with Monday Morning Quarterbacking when it is pretty evident the guy was not looking for a fight but just wanted to get down the trail. Moose should have moved and I expect game to get out of the road.

He never pulled the pistol until after the moose charged twice and made contact with him. He unquestionably fired a warning shot on the third charge. Sometimes schit just goes wrong and I guess I am glad the moose died and not the guy or his kid.
+1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
[quote=JohnBurns

[/quote]

Moose should have moved? You expect them to get out of the way? lol I pretty much "expect" just the opposite.

Farming, or anything else for that matter, is easy when your plow's a keyboard and you're a 1000 miles from the field.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I posted this on the campfire thread a while back. edited as well.

That moose was on the trail because the snow was deep off trail. This guy was pressuring the moose and wouldn't give it space or time. He is an @ss and I hope F&G tracks him down and takes action.

If you notice when the camera first comes on there was another trail that went to the left, I after seeing the size of the opening after his joy ride past the wounded moose I would guess that the side trail likely arrived at the same clearing.

Yes moose can be very dangerous animals, however he didn't stumble on this at high speed, he came across it with plenty of distance.

After the first charge he followed the moose immediately which prompted the other charge which had contact. It is entirely his fault as he was aggressive with his machine.

It's good to lead - it's better to lead by example.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Redhill
I agree with you John. My life and the life of my son are of more worth than any animal and I would shoot to kill to protect both. The moose was turning to attack the 3rd time and the rider did not move as he was standing up and digging out the Glock. I'm thinking I would have been shooting sooner.

The rider did not meet the test of harassment in my book and I would love to be on that jury if it goes to a jury trial. I would vote not guilty on every ballot.

+1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
the moment the moose attacks with the front feet, I for one don't blame the guy for shooting the moose.

I do fault him for condition 3.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm with Toad on this one 100%.

The shooter should have the book thrown at him.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Why didn't he just go around it or wait it out. Sheesh.

Because he is a douchebag!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
out all of the moose I've seen over the years, I've shot one. some a$$hole had shot it 20 times or so with .22 LR and left it still alive.

I've had to dodge moose once. somewhat my fault. I was out walking my lab and found a calf moose tangled up in a woven-wire fence. mom was nowhere in sight so I went to work cutting the wire with my leatherman. while I was doing that my lab, in his infinite wisdom found the mother and 'led' her back to us at a full run. I quit cutting the calf out and climbed a cottonwood tree like a spider monkey. i spent the better part of half hour in that tree until the calf finished working itself out of the fence and the pair wandered off. i had a rifle with me but didn't need it. dog was at the house when i made it home.

had a small bull fall in behind me and follow me way too close (30-50 yards) last fall while i was hunting. i went of full alert but just kept walking slowly like i was and eventually left him browsing willows. this could have gone bad fast, too, but turned out to be just another cool memory.

'getting aggressive' would have gained nothing but two dead moose.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Seems like this video is something of a Rorschach test. What a person's first reaction is will tell you a lot about him.

After the first charge I would have done anything I could to avoid the moose, even if it meant not getting to where I was going for a while.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (007FJ, 204guy, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,293 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,071
Posts18,482,609
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.