Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GSSP
The B&C Facebook page mentions the Wyoming Game & Fish Dept is looking for info related to this incident.

The plot thickens!

Alan

I think they are just trying to find out if it happened in Wyoming. If it did, the shooter probably skates on any �out of season�, �shooting from a vehicle�, �no license� and �wrong firearm� charges. But, I can easily see a charge of harassing wildlife. Also, unless the shooter contacted a warden and obtained a proper permit (which is highly unlikely if G&F is asking for any info), taking any meat from the animal would be a poaching violation. Not reporting it to the G&F and leaving it to rot could be met with a wanton waste charge. These are not things that would be ignored here.

The state encourages people to come here and enjoy themselves. Bring your guns. Bring your motorized toys. No problem. It is best to do a little due diligence, though, and respect the local wildlife population.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
He stopped when he first saw the moose, then he closes the distance quite a bit after only mere seconds. He is a Dumb a**. Is it a criminal charge for shooting the moose after the attack? Probably not, but I would charge him with harassing wildlife. No moose here but we have elk and bears. Authorities get real upset when you get within 50 yards of them intentionally which this guy clearly did. Should be pending charges for harassing wildlife but not for shooting the moose. Unfortunately common sense ain't that common.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by toad
Originally Posted by semi
AGain, just don't get it.. the animal attacked. To some its like "how can he shoot an unarmed animal?" its a silly statement. Animals are so unpredictable. I for one would not wait to be mauled before shooting. Seems stupid doesn't it?

the animal attacked because the stoopid phouckin' snowmobiler chose to harass/chase it off of the trail, (which is illegal in every state AFAIK) instead of turning around or taking a ten minute break and letting the moose wander off on it's own.

nobody here would have an issue with defending himself against an unprovoked attack, but this was not an unprovoked attack.

Couple of us were riding in YNP behind a "ranger." All of a sudden there's a moose in the road, so we stopped. Ranger began to yell at moose while gunning the engine and slowly advancing on moose. He had his gun ready (so did I but he didn't know it). We got pretty close and moose made a couple of runs but then headed up the hillside. Trail was much wider and the snow wasn't as deep and the ranger was ready to start shooting. He said a man's life was far more valuable than a moose's and he would have shot if moose had got any closer.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Good thing he was armed. Pretty effective, too.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Redhill
She didn't look like she wanted to get off the trail and appeared to be ready to fight for it. Could he have got off the trail and into that deep snow without getting stuck? Didn't look like that to me. He moved down the trail toward her to scare her off and she was having none of that.

She came at him twice and was getting ready to charge a third time. On the second charge she either hit him or his sled and who knows what she would have done on the third charge. Does she need to draw blood before he was justified??

Had I been him I would have done the same thing and I was impressed with his shooting. Wonder if it was a G20?

This is how I saw it as well.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And I would bet that a big part of the advice here comes from people that have never ridden a snowmobile or ever came almost face to face with an angry moose. They get angrified very easily. And quickly.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Redhill you are unreal. The POS continued to crowd the animal which he had no right to do. I hope he gets rung up real seriously. What the he....l was his big hurry??? Mommy calling her little boy???
Cheers

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
Originally Posted by semi
AGain, just don't get it.. the animal attacked. To some its like "how can he shoot an unarmed animal?" its a silly statement. Animals are so unpredictable. I for one would not wait to be mauled before shooting. Seems stupid doesn't it?

the animal attacked because the stoopid phouckin' snowmobiler chose to harass/chase it off of the trail, (which is illegal in every state AFAIK) instead of turning around or taking a ten minute break and letting the moose wander off on it's own.

nobody here would have an issue with defending himself against an unprovoked attack, but this was not an unprovoked attack.

Couple of us were riding in YNP behind a "ranger." All of a sudden there's a moose in the road, so we stopped. Ranger began to yell at moose while gunning the engine and slowly advancing on moose. He had his gun ready (so did I but he didn't know it). We got pretty close and moose made a couple of runs but then headed up the hillside. Trail was much wider and the snow wasn't as deep and the ranger was ready to start shooting. He said a man's life was far more valuable than a moose's and he would have shot if moose had got any closer.

But...but... but didn't the Ranger know that the animal had rights???

After all the two riders were in the Moose's front room and he should have knocked first, at least gone off trail and got stuck and let the animal enjoy his/her environment.

Amazing posts on this topic here.

I liked your post and reflects the real world of animal encounters.

My guess is that if the first rider would have stayed put the moose would have continued up the trail and encountered the rider at that point. Good thing about that option is that he could have had time to dig out the Glock and rack it.

Did he know that the first charge was going to be a bluff?? I don't want to bet my life and limb and the life and limb of my son behind me on that chance. I probably would be shooting on the second charge before it got to me or even on the first charge had I been ready.

Simple - my life is more valuable than any animal, as stated by the Ranger.

Animals do not have rights are normally defined. Search the Constitution and get back to me if anybody finds those rights there or in the Bill of Rights.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
the 'animals don't have rights' argument is horseschitt. the correct question is 'does the snowmobiler have the right to harass a big game animal with a motorized vehicle?' the answer is a big fat no.

from Idaho Fish and Game regs:

"It is Unlawful To:

� Use any motorized vehicle to molest, stir up, rally or drive
any game animal or game bird."

every U.S. state with moose has similar laws, and those laws are there to protect the idiot on the snowmobile as much as the moose.

again, nobody would have an issue with a guy defending himself from an unprovoked attack, but that was not an unprovoked attack. I've met more moose than i can count in circumstances ranging from my front yard to sniffing my tent to trail encounters on foot, ATV, and snowmobile, and i see the guy in the vid as an idiot that should be charged with harassing the moose.

And I would bet that a big part of the advice here comes from people that have never ridden a snowmobile or ever came almost face to face with an angry moose. They get angrified very easily. And quickly.

i'll wager anything you wish that I've been face to face with more moose than you. if you chase a moose and it gets pi$$ed (and it will) that's your damn fault, not the moose's.

the 'secret' that escapes many is "DON'T CHASE THE MOOSE". it really is that simple.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I am going to ramble a little.

I wonder if this story will be in the Glock magazine next year, "my Glock safed my life".
If this had been a similar but different scenario, like I was walking down the street and this hood rat.....
I wonder if the powers that be approve of sleds off established trails....
I wonder if he tried to turn around and got stuck in the deep snow or busted up his sled on fallen logs and been stranded in the middle of no where if the moose would of sauntered off.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
i bet you 'wonder' a lot.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What if he had just left the Moose alone and let it wander off, or better yet , not videoed the whole ordeal and posted it online?

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Then he would just be a boring schmuck like most people who have encounters with potentially dangerous critters, and he would not get his 15 minutes of fame.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"i'll wager anything you wish that I've been face to face with more moose than you. if you chase a moose and it gets pi$$ed (and it will) that's your damn fault, not the moose's.

the 'secret' that escapes many is "DON'T CHASE THE MOOSE". it really is that simple."

You win. No contest.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
the 'animals don't have rights' argument is horseschitt. the correct question is 'does the snowmobiler have the right to harass a big game animal with a motorized vehicle?' the answer is a big fat no.

from Idaho Fish and Game regs:

"It is Unlawful To:

� Use any motorized vehicle to molest, stir up, rally or drive
any game animal or game bird."

every U.S. state with moose has similar laws, and those laws are there to protect the idiot on the snowmobile as much as the moose.

again, nobody would have an issue with a guy defending himself from an unprovoked attack, but that was not an unprovoked attack. I've met more moose than i can count in circumstances ranging from my front yard to sniffing my tent to trail encounters on foot, ATV, and snowmobile, and i see the guy in the vid as an idiot that should be charged with harassing the moose.

i'll wager anything you wish that I've been face to face with more moose than you. if you chase a moose and it gets pi$$ed (and it will) that's your damn fault, not the moose's.

the 'secret' that escapes many is "DON'T CHASE THE MOOSE". it really is that simple.

simply amazing.. you are one of those that think a human should risk dying because of your precious moose. The moose wasn't going to give ground and it was agressive. Human life is always more important than a damn moose. Give it up already. Tell us, or explain to us how this moose was just going to walk away.. tell us how sure you were that would happen. .

Last edited by semi; 03/03/14.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
you could make a case for killing every moose you see when you don't have a clue.

here is a quick hint. I know the moose would just walk away because that's what it was doing. see picture below. do you get it? that moose's first reaction was to retreat. the risk to human life was caused by the human chasing it. the moose does not want to waste the energy stomping idiots into grease spots unless he has to. the idiot snowmobiler forced him to fight. the moose was retreating when the idiot thought he'd push it (illegally). the results speak for themselves. I am 100% certain that I could have survived that encounter without getting hurt or killing the moose, mainly because I've done it enough to know.

a cow with a calf or a bull in the rut puts me on Defcon III, but that moose was neither.

go read the similar thread in the AK forums and see what the Alaskans that also deal with moose every day have to say...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FWIW, an online poll by a Casper radio station is running about 70% against the guy and 7.5% "other", with only 25% supporting the dude. Link

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Originally Posted by bea175
He must have had a Helmet Cam or Camera mounted on the Snow Mobile . I don't think this guy was in the right and should be charged with poaching . He agitated the situation by charging the young moose with the snow mobile and then shoots it and leaves the Moose wounded , plus leaving all the meat. He could have backed up and went around the animal. He cause this episode so he could YouTube a Video. I hope the Game Dept is watching this Video . Everyone knows the Video is a fake anyway , the Glock didn't blow up when it was fired.
That's how I see it too. If he didn't press the issue and had just a little patience, a gun would have never needed to come out. I wouldn't be surprised if that guy finds himself in a little hot water.

For those who are surprised/impressed with the performance; it's simple. Hit animals where you're supposed to hit them and they die. The range was close so placing a shot well wasn't too tough.

That's too bad, waste of a beautiful animal that could have been taken legally and ethically later on.

I've never hunted moose; that's one on my bucket list.

thats pretty much it, dumb sh*t comes to mind, and offensive to boot. I would like to see him charged on multiple counts, didn't have to happen.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dla
That POV helmet camera distorts the distance - Ms. Moose was very close.

I don't fault the guy for shooting her - she was pressing the fight. I doubt he just left her to rot - they're mighty good eating. I don't have much sympathy for ornery moose.

He did the right thing in leaving the moose alone after shooting it. The game wardens/rangers are going to want to investigate the shooting and be able to see the tracks, etc. undisturbed. They decided that it was a good shot.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
tell me how that is not driving or harassing a game animal with a motorized vehicle...(illegal anywhere in the west)

It's pretty simple. He was riding on a trail with his son behind him on a different snowmobile. He had no way to turn around or otherwise avoid the moose. He moved forward to scare off the moose and it attacked him.

Driving or harassing a game animal means that the animal is running away from you and your chasing it.

[Linked Image from ]
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 54 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,133 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,457
Posts18,529,114
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.