Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
when I said handled it different than I would, there's some clarification needed. I'd have tried not to crowd the moose.

but after contact was made with the sled, well baby all bets are off

and if my kids are riding behind me, same result, dead moose, just with a .45/70 rather than a Glock.

He was wrong on his let's move closer and the moose will move off the trail theory. They just don't give up a packed trail for the deep stuff. I can't believe he let the moose make contact I couldn't tell if it kicked or stomped the cowling and how close it was but too close for me to be comfortable if I had been there. He did some dumb things, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. I hope he called F&W and reported the incident instead of letting the meat rot. He's got a tough explanation there but I don't see them charging him if he reports it. I'm with you Randy. I came real close to dropping the hammer with moose out 4 wheeling during calving season. We didn't see the moose or the calf till she boiled out of the grass and went to stomp my buddy and his grand kid. Just lucky he was far enough away from the calf that she didn't want to come the extra 5 yards to stomp him and went back. We got out of dodge. smile

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave
Wow. A moose charged a guy and the guy shot the moose.

Hope I sleep ok tonight.

And [bleep] that condition 3 bullschit. Get a holster and run hot.

Travis

^this. Yes, the guy may have made a mistake by advancing. Of course, none of us were there? MIT looks to me like he would have had a very hard time turning around, and he may have thought he would scare it away by advancing. I've made worse mistakes in my life.

It was impressive performance, quick shooting and a good end result for him. Without arguing stopping power, since the caliber was not known, let's just say he was probably not too pissed off he has an extra 10 or so rounds on tap as compared to a revolver.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S

It isn't the rounds in the magazine that count, it is the rounds in the moose. I killed a bigger moose than that with a 357 magnum, but it wasn't charging me and I wasn't on a snowmobile. 158 grains in the brainpan stops even the toughest customers.

I have been around wild animals all my life and I am going to give the nod to the moose being more unpredictable than either of the bear species we have here in Montana...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by shrapnel

It isn't the rounds in the magazine that count, it is the rounds in the moose. I killed a bigger moose than that with a 357 magnum, but it wasn't charging me and I wasn't on a snowmobile. 158 grains in the brainpan stops even the toughest customers.

I have been around wild animals all my life and I am going to give the nod to the moose being more unpredictable than either of the bear species we have here in Montana...

+1 In Alaska too. I've known several people who got stomped by moose. Bad deal. A couple of people died.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
if you push anything enough, it will turn on you.

which is exactly what the idiot snowmobiler was looking for.

from Mt FWP regs

Motorized Vehicles
It is illegal for anyone to:
� use a motorized vehicle or aircraft to
concentrate, drive, rally, stir-up, corral,
or harass game animals.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
While I am sure we do not have Alaska-sized populations, we hang out in an area where moose were reintroduced decades ago, and we bump into a lot of them at close quarters, including cows with calves during the fall while bowhunting. It is amazing how close you can be to one of those big critters before realizing it. Like many have said, they are not afraid of people or their machines or firearms. They do not cede territory, but they do move along at their own pace if left undisturbed. They won�t hesitate to charge when they get fed up or feel crowded. I�ve had to stand my ground against a charging juvy bull to cover someone who pissed it off getting too close to take a picture, so I know the feeling.

For people who say it�s just a moose, consider this. The Game and Fish department is pretty darn proud of its moose tags around here, and every provocation incident like this one, and every moose shot by a nonresident who thinks he just filled his elk tag, goes into the mortality counts when setting the season quota numbers.

Last edited by Cheyenne; 02/27/14. Reason: add stuff

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
okay, the guy was attacked he had every right to defend himself. And no, NOT all snowmobiles have reverse. If he would have gotten of the sled and tried to turn it around by hand, who knows if the moose would have taken that as aggressive action. I for one would keep my eyes on the moose every second and turning a sled around would require you stop looking. I am a snowmobilier and a hunter, and have come across animals on the trail albeit never a moose. But it appeared to me that he thought he had a way around the moose when he approached. You are basically helpless in this situation. The moose retreated and again it appeared as if he want to keep the moose retreating by moving forward.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Judging by the way he was carrying, if that moose had really wanted him he would not have been able to do much about it. He was lucky the moose broke off and gave him enough time to rack his slide and crank off a few rounds. IMO the guy was a tard.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I came across this info on the Field & Stream web site that relates to the video:

"Bass Fishing
Man uses Glock in self-defense against angry moose attack!!!
Uploaded on January 16, 2014
Tweet

A man, age 51 with a life threatening heart condition (dilated cardiomyopathy), while snowmobiling out west with his son, comes upon a moose in the wild. Concerned that an animal attack might be about to happen, the site seeing experience goes bad when the moose, not wanting to be on camera, decides to charge. Coming over the snowmobile, the 1,000 pound bull attacks, kicking the Dad in the chest; the moose's intentions were clear. This was one angry animal attack. With only a hand gun to defend himself and his son, the Father fires a warning shot only to quickly fire 4 more to defer a 2nd attack...when animals attack"

No more information was available to indicate how these detail were obtained but they are very finite ones as in the age, the heart condition, the second rider was his son and the gender of the moose.

He had a heart condition to begin with and he was hit by the moose in the chest most likely in that second attack.

I would have done the same thing and perhaps would have been shooting after the first rush and when he came at me again the second time. Still would like to know the caliber.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by semi
okay, the guy was attacked he had every right to defend himself. And no, NOT all snowmobiles have reverse. If he would have gotten of the sled and tried to turn it around by hand, who knows if the moose would have taken that as aggressive action. I for one would keep my eyes on the moose every second and turning a sled around would require you stop looking. I am a snowmobilier and a hunter, and have come across animals on the trail albeit never a moose. But it appeared to me that he thought he had a way around the moose when he approached. You are basically helpless in this situation. The moose retreated and again it appeared as if he want to keep the moose retreating by moving forward.

tell me how that is not driving or harassing a game animal with a motorized vehicle...(illegal anywhere in the west)

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Well if the guy had a heart issue and the moose had already come at him before and it was on its way back, I don't blame the guy.

Pausing the video it looks like he's carrying a small Glock, I'm guessing probably a 27 or 30, recoil seemed small.

Glocks and Single Actions!
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Whoever thinks a moose is a friendly fuzzy animal has never met one. Those front feet could bust the crap out of you, if not kill you. Snowmobiles in deep snow, on a trail, without reverse are a football to a long legged moose.

He was fortunate the moose didn't incapacitate him with that attack. It is real easy to decide what the better choice is from a viewfinder, but the moment the moose attacks with the front feet, the gauntlet has been thrown and I for one don' blame the guy for shooting her.

If I am in the jury on that trial, he gets set free...

Agree, and shooting an attacking one I have zero problem with. It was the actions of the shooter that led up to the initial attack I had a problem with. Big difference. That shyt was avoidable.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That shyt was avoidable.

Oh hell yes. I could piss off 3 a day just like that, right here in my yard. It's really not hard to do. Deep snow, no reverse, ect. is just an excuse.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Not sure what I'd do in that situation,but I would not have had to rack a slide.Had a close call a while back in the boundry waters
(BWCA).Canoeing down a narrow river with a girl friend there was a cow on the bank,She wanted a couple pictures so we stopped paddling figured she would bolt.We figured wrong there was a calf on the opposite shore we did not see until to late,I saw the calf the same time she hit the water.The only thing that saved us was
I was in a very sleek canoe and did a 90 away and paddled hard down stream,she was three feet from us when she broke off toward her calf.lesson learned give them space.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
AGain, just don't get it.. the animal attacked. To some its like "how can he shoot an unarmed animal?" its a silly statement. Animals are so unpredictable. I for one would not wait to be mauled before shooting. Seems stupid doesn't it?

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by watch4bear
That shyt was avoidable.

Oh hell yes. I could piss off 3 a day just like that, right here in my yard. It's really not hard to do. Deep snow, no reverse, ect. is just an excuse.

You don't think the fact that the guy was wearing a GoPro had anything to do with his actions, do you? Yeah, me neither...

whistle wink

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by semi
AGain, just don't get it.. the animal attacked. To some its like "how can he shoot an unarmed animal?" its a silly statement. Animals are so unpredictable. I for one would not wait to be mauled before shooting. Seems stupid doesn't it?

the animal attacked because the stoopid phouckin' snowmobiler chose to harass/chase it off of the trail, (which is illegal in every state AFAIK) instead of turning around or taking a ten minute break and letting the moose wander off on it's own.

nobody here would have an issue with defending himself against an unprovoked attack, but this was not an unprovoked attack.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
If Obama had a moose....

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
The B&C Facebook page mentions the Wyoming Game & Fish Dept is looking for info related to this incident.

The plot thickens!

Alan

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I'm guessing he put one in the bean. He dropped pretty damn quick.

A hiker tried to shoo a mt goat of a trail out here a year or two ago. It didn't end so well. He got himself killed in front of the wife and kids.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

701 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 73 invisible), 2,989 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,642
Posts18,512,316
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.