Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm 71 and if I lay off more than a week or two of hiking/hill climbing or stairmaster it's back to square one. And because I'm serious about my workouts, I am still able to hunt. The old saw about use it or lose it couldn't be more true for me.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yup. I'm talking a day off, not a week or two, and with activities like hiking, it's not such a big deal.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm 59. I workout 3 to 4 times a week. Every other day. I do 30 minutes on the stair climber, 200 crunches & 20 minutes on the rowing machine. In the summer, I'll hike mtn trails & cut about 5 cords of firewood. Come September it a little grouse hunting then elk hunting. Then, I veg out watching football & the holidays-- 10 lb gain. I hit the gym when I submit my application in the mail. Now, its off to the gym.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
44 here and I am able to workout over my lunch. I do it everyday but do different activities so I can recover. I ran a marathon in 2011 before elk hunting and I had more pep up the mountain than when I was 22.

I thnk the key is to commit to doing it as part of you regular schedule. I almost always look forward to my workouts but even when I don't I'm happy I completed them when I leave the gym. If you are new get help from a trainer. If your motivation is gone sign up for a class as you'll build relationships that will help hold you accountable. Pretty soon you'll feel so good you won't want to stop.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Primal_Phil
I started doing 14ers with some hiking buddies to get into shape for elk season, last year I did 12 I hope to at least match that this year. There are 53 in the State!

I envy your total. We did Mt. Elbert, mainly because we were in the area and Elbert being the 2nd highest in the continental 48. Can't wait to get back. A couple of good books on the 14ers, "Halfway to Heaven", and "Colorado 14er Disasters".

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
At 61, if I don't workout here in the winter, I really flab out. I try to get in an hour per day minimum, combining elliptical, walker and bike. I don't intentionally take days off from the routine, it just happens sometimes. Spring, Summer and Fall, I am moving enough to keep in shape (mowing, rowing, swimming, walking, etc.), BUT it is harder and harder with age.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 7mmStwer
I don't intentionally take days off from the routine, it just happens sometimes.

I'd like to clarify what I said above about needing a day off. I was referring to resistance training or weightlifting where you push yourself. This doesn't apply to aerobic workouts like elipticals, treadmills, etc. unless your doing some HIIT workouts.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I started running 5k competitions a couple times a year after I started elk hunting.

I did this, not because I'm competitive, or particularly good at it, but because having a competition in March keeps me focused in February.

I still end up making a "summer push" to get into elk hunting condition, but its nice to have some interim goals to stay focused on not being a fat-arse.

I even ran a 1/2 marathon once for the same reason (would have never done so, were it not for elk hunting).

more recently, I've taken up doing sprint triathalons. Still not competitive, but it works for me.

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I am 68 and required knee surgery (both) in December. Up until that I worked out daily since leaving the service in 69. I am doing a tremendous amount of therapy each day, and my doctor says I am progressing faster than most men 1/2 my age. I help manage wild land fires in the summer, on the fire line, I am committed to being ready for that, and hunting season. Already have an elk tag in Wyoming.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well I was walking 3 miles a day every day started back in Sept- by Dec, I was feeling pretty good about it, then I broke my ankle, and well I am now back to square one. My doctor told me that its going to ache for some time to come and that what ever I do, go easy with it. Oh well, spring will be here in a week. Its 13 weeks since I broke it- I going to start walking again in another week or so. I have to check with my Doctor when I go in for a check up on tuesday. My Moose and Elk hunting is in my past now. But exercise is good for you just the same, I find I sleep a whole lot better if I do. Since I am more or less a flat lander, going way up in the High Country hunting is pretty much out for me. I may get a bike and do some of the local daily running around on that. Can't hurt!

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Primal_Phil
I started doing 14ers with some hiking buddies to get into shape for elk season, last year I did 12 I hope to at least match that this year. There are 53 in the State!

54, but I who's counting?

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 1badf350, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 49 invisible), 2,239 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,345
Posts18,506,187
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.