-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm itching for a new vest this year. Gonna get something with shoulder straps instead of a full-on vest type. I have a vest that has a padded back and padded shoulders buts its too warm and most days I cover lots of ground.

So what are you turkey chasers wearing? Backpacks, fanny packs, or???
Pics are a big help...

Thanks!

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Google the Slingshot Beard Buster. I'm giving it a try this year

Hold all my gear just fine, but i am concerned the box call is hard to reach and the seat will be a pain to clip up and down unless i do some yoga to increase my flexibility. But i am going to give it a shot for a season and see

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The Slingshot rig looks pretty cool.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I like the Ol' Tom vests. They are pretty well thought out.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I love the ol' tom vest, I have the I-beam test.

Location: Bartlett, suburb of Memphis. Texas native, and can't wait to be a resident again!
IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I swapped to a fanny pack last year from cabelas. Had the speed seat and lots of pockets. Packs everything I need and can move quickly

Last edited by Shadow18; 02/09/14.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
None. I can't stand em. I have one, hell, for shipping, you can have it. I fill that thing with so much useless crap it takes away from hunting.

Now I carry a slate in a belt holder and a diaphram call in my pocket.

I've been more successful the last 4 years "running lite".

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fanny pack unless I am guiding for someone. I hate vests. They are hot and useless. A fanny pack carries all I need, including water.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love my H.S. Strut vest but has padded shoulder suspenders and back pad, which the OP says he does not want.

I don't always hunt out of a hub blind and the vest carries water, sandwiches, snacks, rain gear, decoys and layered clothing and etc.. It allows me to move and get into the wheelhouse of a gobbler some distance away.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I am running the turkey belt that Cabelas sell with the speed seat. It gets real hot down here in the south and a vest will burn you up.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've been running a Primos Gobbler Vest for 10+ years and the thing has held up amazingly well despite being through some tough conditions. I have a pretty good dried blood camo pattern going on it and plan to add a few more stains this year.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I just tie a piece of bailing twine in a bug enough loop through a foam butt pad, put duct tape on the "shoulder" area of the loop, and can carry that with me while I'm running ridges or poking in the swamps.

Last year I sat in the middle of a hayfield with my boy between my legs and it worked for that.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't require more from my vest than to have a thick (comfortable) seat and enough pockets to carry my gear and a hollow rubber hen decoy. I've been using an Elite II vest for the last seven seasons - it does what I need it to do; when it wears out I'll find another similar to it.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tzone
None. I can't stand em. I have one, hell, for shipping, you can have it. I fill that thing with so much useless crap it takes away from hunting.

Now I carry a slate in a belt holder and a diaphram call in my pocket.

I've been more successful the last 4 years "running lite".

Funny, this is exactly what I have done for the last 5 years, I did buy a vest this year to try. More for being able to carry water. I get hot easily and it kinda either use the vest and be warm or not have it a not carry water. Its hard to carry much water without it. Time will tell and give me a solution.

"I do not hunt turkeys becuse I want to, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion." I love my wife:)

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,322 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,005
Posts18,500,087
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.