Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Wimp. Get you a 10-gauge double and cut it down at both ends.

GB1

M
mystro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I think we presented all the videos, links to balistic gel performance, and opinions that we probably have reached "cow bell" stage.

Like I said earlier, the initial thread was to show other shot pistol owners some viable choices. I never wanted to or convert the skeptics. I know all too well it is a up hill journey.

I respect some ones choice not to use the shotpistol, its certainly not my main choice. It does have some unique advantages in some situations.
If you are competent with your 9,40,10,45, then you shouldn't replace any of them but if you want to ADD a new element to your arsenal, you may be suprised what the shotpistol can bring to the table. Most of us don't NEED a excuse to buy a new gun if we can afford it. I hope the gun sickness is still alive and well.

. I am going to leave the topic and conversation on that closing note. I appreciate everyone's participation for such a spirited thread. We all are gun guys in the end and that's all I really care about..

Originally Posted by deflave
Ok, no more talk about 10's or 40's.

What about that Governor? Can we still talk about that?

Travis

I think we have reached the cowbell stage.

[Linked Image]

Guns and Ammo test and video of the 410 shotpistol

410 ballistic gel tests

Last edited by mystro; 02/27/14.

The Lord loves humility.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Thirteen rounds! Nice! Sounds like a serious competition gun.

My 870 is 6+1, but bbl is only 18.5" I keep it stoked with 2 3/4" 00 buckshot. Very impractical.....grin

[Linked Image]

That is frickin' sweet. I don't know what it is about it, because there are tons of configurations of riot gun types out there, but for some reason, that one really takes the cake. I'm not a shotgun guy. All I have are pumps. I've got an old-school 870 bird gun but that almost makes me want to re-configure it that way.

I really like it too. Tried to keep it fairly clean. I just swapped out the issue stock/forend for Magpul. Other than that it's a plain 870 Tactical.

The only thing that sets it apart from most 870 models is that the magazine is one piece, where most are 4-round mags with extensions added on. The only downside to this setup is I don't think there are many (any?) aftermarket barrels with the magazine lug that far forward. For me it's no biggie as this is just a house-gun/fun gun.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Please let the record reflect that I only respect my opinion.

Thanks,
Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
That magpul hardware is pretty cozy.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I like how it handles, and the recoil pad is a big improvement over the issued one.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I hate the pistol grips so many shotguns have today. The magpul design feels like a happy medium between the pistol grip and granddads 870.

But holy schit they don't give that stuff away!

Travis

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I'm not a big fan of the pistol grips on shotguns either, that's why I went this route.

The buttstock comes with four 1/2" spacers one can use to give 2" in LOP latitude. Roughly 11.5"-13.5". I've got this on at 12" with one spacer. That works out pretty good for June and myself.

There are also some optional comb pieces available to raise it up for optics use. I'm sticking with the simple bead front sight though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I've been shooting rats when I bushhog with .357 shot capsules loaded with #8 shot. It often takes 2 shots for each rat if they are big ones...and often there will be more than one rat. I've used a short double 12 gauge and a single shot 20 gauge before but it takes to long to get them in action from a tractor and they are a bit of overkill. You can call me Bubba cause I'm dying to try a Governor for this... grin

Before you spend a lot of money for a better shot revolver, try loading your own shot cartridges with #12 shot. The problem isn't the shot size, it's the number of shot on target. With 7.5-8 shot, I've always had to shoot a snake 2 or 3 times. With #12 shot, rarely do you have to pull the trigger twice.

The Governor solves the problem by just putting more shot on the target, but you can get that without going to that goofy revolver.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'm not a big fan of the pistol grips on shotguns either, that's why I went this route.

The buttstock comes with four 1/2" spacers one can use to give 2" in LOP latitude. Roughly 11.5"-13.5". I've got this on at 12" with one spacer. That works out pretty good for June and myself.

There are also some optional comb pieces available to raise it up for optics use. I'm sticking with the simple bead front sight though.

I didn't know that about the adjustable LOP. That's pretty bad ass.

Bead all the way....

Although I do sorta like a rear ghost ring too.

Travis

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by KevinGibson

Before you spend a lot of money for a better shot revolver, try loading your own shot cartridges with #12 shot. The problem isn't the shot size, it's the number of shot on target. With 7.5-8 shot, I've always had to shoot a snake 2 or 3 times. With #12 shot, rarely do you have to pull the trigger twice.

The Governor solves the problem by just putting more shot on the target, but you can get that without going to that goofy revolver.

I think Venturino did a test on this years ago and found #12 to simply pulverize prairie rattlers.

I've been looking for #12 in local shops ever since...

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
Ah yes, the enduro motorcyle -- both on and off-road capable. Can do both, but neither well........ I would rather bank on an "ordinary" revolver, but that's just me.
Bad analogy...the enduro motorcycle actually fits a need and performs a service.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yep, the Venturino article was in Handloader #234, April 2005.

Was quite interesting and eye opening.

These guys have #12 shot:Linky
If you were closer I'd split a bag with you, as I don't see me using 10 lbs. of snake loads up anytime soon!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Ah yes, the enduro motorcyle -- both on and off-road capable. Can do both, but neither well........ I would rather bank on an "ordinary" revolver, but that's just me.
Bad analogy...the enduro motorcycle actually fits a need and performs a service.

I hate agreeing with Kevin but I did think Whitworth was being a little hard on enduro's when he wrote that...

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Yep, the Venturino article was in Handloader #234, April 2005.

Was quite interesting and eye opening.

These guys have #12 shot:Linky
If you were closer I'd split a bag with you, as I don't see me using 10 lbs. of snake loads up anytime soon!

Daaaamn, Johnny on the spot!

Travis

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

I didn't know that about the adjustable LOP. That's pretty bad ass.

Bead all the way....

Although I do sorta like a rear ghost ring too.

Travis

Ghost rings are easy to like. I've got the XS version on my 45-70. Real fast.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yeah - bad analogy. I kicked some crotch-rocket ass on enduros back in the '80's.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mystro
....My reputation on many other forums is well established and verified by other competitive shooters...

I'll bet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I think Venturino did a test on this years ago and found #12 to simply pulverize prairie rattlers.

I've been looking for #12 in local shops ever since...

Travis
I don't know if I read that one, but he's right. I got onto it when I noticed that .22 shot cartridges killed every bit as good as .45 ACP shot cartridges; and I just couldn't understand that. Neither one was really impressive. So I took each apart and that's when I found the difference in shot size. Then I remembered when I was a kid visiting a logging outfit and damn near everyone carried a High Standard DA .22 mag in their pocket and they all said the .22 mag shot cartridge killed snakes better than any other commercial shot cartridge. Again, #12 shot, but much more of it.

So a friend and I went halves on a set of RCBS .45 ACP dies for making shot cartridges out of .308 brass. And when loaded with #11 or #12 shot, it was the hammer of Thor on snakes; even big diamondbacks. We then used that same set of dies to make .45 Colt shot cartridges out of .303 brass, which allowed us to extend the brass out to the distance of a seated bullet, which means you can hold a LOT of shot. OMG it just blew snakes into pieces...again with #12 shot.

Since the .303 brass thing took a good deal of work, and the case mouths 9 times out of 10 would split upon firing, I decided to see if there was an easier way. So I just loaded up to the end of the case with shot. Charge powder, seat a gas check with the cup facing up down against the powder being careful not to compress the powder. Now take the round, scoop up the shot and shake off the excess, then cap with a gas check with the cup facing down, and then roll crimp the gas check in place. Be subtle on the roll crimp or it will buckle the gas check...have to fiddle a little to get it right, but it's not tough.

That load was 90% as good as the extended cartridges made from the .303 brass, and was easy-peasy to make. So I let him have the dies and I didn't bother with the extended cartridges anymore. When I need some .45 ACP shot rounds, I just call him up and have him send me a dozen.

So what I learned; most any handgun (typically revolver) cartridge can be turned into a very efficient snake killer with the above listed method. Obviously the larger you go, the more dramatic the performance. .45 Colt was very impressive, but .32 H&R was no slouch by any means. Most times one shot is all you need when you use #12 shot.

So you noticed you can't ever find #12 shot; not surprised. The only place I've found to get it is Ballistic Products: http://www.ballisticproducts.com/

The last bag I bought was over 15 years ago and it tends to last decades. IIRC they come in 12lb bags, and I'd still be using mine if I didn't lose it when I moved (it's there somewhere).

#12 shot only comes in those 12lb bags, and gas checks only come in 1,000 boxes; so the initial investment is a little stiff, but you have a near lifetime supply.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And on snake loads in regular revolvers...

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot30.htm

Last edited by FreeMe; 02/27/14.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 325wsm1, 35, 6mmbrfan, 12 invisible), 13,362 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,229
Posts18,544,004
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.