Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
RWEST Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Trying a load of 4.2 Red Dot; WSP primer; Starline Case; 125 Rainier plated H.P. @ 1.465" o'all in my 6" K-38 (.38 Spec.) - the very first shot was a squib!! I didn't use a super-tight crimp, per Rainier's recommendations. Curious what your opinions may be?

Rather than take a chance, I didn't shoot the remaining 9 rounds. I'm going to break down all the rest of 'em tonite to double-check the loads in each, but, this is a first for me. I use 2 scales, one as a check on the other, and weigh every 5th one, so this is a real head-scratcher.. crazy

I used the same load with 125 grain cast "Blue Boy" brand bullets, crimped a bit more firmly, during the same session, and they performed very well.

Last edited by RWEST; 02/27/14.

Load smart. Load safe. Triple check everything. Never use load data from the 'net without checking against known, pressure tested load data. Typo's happen!!

Genius has limits; stupidity does not
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Sounds like a good load I scored 16 lbs of red dot a few years ago and use it in everything I can find data on. That charge should be good to go. I wonder if you may have had a pluged primer pocket.. Did the bullet lodge in the barrel or did it make it out?

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I assume that by you saying you weigh every 5th round you are not loading on a progressive press. How you prep brass ? If loading a tray full of brass from a powder measure, do you take a light and check that each case looks charged the same?

Last edited by ldholton; 02/27/14.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Weak crimp.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Was there any chance that the loads were near any water?

Perhaps some 50% or 91% alcohol?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only squib I ever had, years ago, was some ultra-low power round ball loads in a .44 mag. The load was from the Speer manual of the time, and was a .433 round ball over a small charge of Bullseye. One of them actually stuck the bullet halfway out the muzzle. And left a bunch of half-burned Bullseye in the barrel, which is rather smelly smile

If I were trying it again today I'd look at Titegroup or something position insensitive, to improve consistency

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

RWEST Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'm going with operator error.. cry It's the only thing I can come up with - I always look over the cases to be sure they're charged before seating the bullets, but all I can figure is I must have missed that one. Lesson learned.
There was no water or alcohol (rubbing OR imbibing) anywhere around. The remaining cases all held between 3.9 and 4.3 grains and the bullets had a definite crimp mark, so, it's looking more and more like blockheadedness on my part. frown And, my signature line says to triple-check everything.. What a dummy..
The bullet made it about 4" down the barel - I have it sitting on the top shelf of my loading bench as a reminder.
The loads are done on a single-stage press.

Load smart. Load safe. Triple check everything. Never use load data from the 'net without checking against known, pressure tested load data. Typo's happen!!

Genius has limits; stupidity does not
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Well don't be too hard on yourself if one loads long enough rounds some will go a bit off some where, just hopefully not real bad . The important thing as you have already said is learn from your mistakes. With a squib load the most important thing is to catch it, and not fire another shot after, things can go real bad fast than.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinGood thing you don't shoot trap or skeet with reloads! Just about every week I get to see at least 2 sometimes 3 squibs. grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

205 members (2ndwind, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 17Fan, 27 invisible), 2,297 guests, and 1,106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,079
Posts18,501,593
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.