Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yes, hard to stop a crazy MF'KR.

Gunner

Trump Won!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
did you hear that from the guy that shot you in the torso?

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
laugh, no, he said ggrraaauuuhhhhhhhhhhhh rattle rattle rattle zzzzzzzz. laugh

Being serious though, I don't know what he was thinking or how he managed to get off only one shot, the time it took me to slide my pickup to a stop [taking out a row of mailboxes in the process] and run the drivers side length of the truck at exit and a few more yards over to them had to look like an eternity to him.

It all happened in a blinding flash to me, think I lost part my senses for a moment, dont remember hearing or smelling anything, hence the "hard to stop a crazy mofo" part.

Gunner

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Not my quote but I tend to agree.
"When shooting a bad guy, forget about ballistics and guns and ammo entertainers. Consider the bullets from the majority of handguns to be nothing more than a stab with a sharp stick." "If you want rifle performance use a rifle."

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Agreed, never felt a thing when that idiot shot me in the chest with a 38 spec, Gramps used to say he wouldn't use anything on a man he wouldn't use on a deer, his picks were 30WCF, 308 30-06 and 12 gauge. wink

Gunner

Trump Won!
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Put the bullets where they NEED to go, and don't stop shooting until the threat is neutralized. I prefer the .40 and .45 but have no issue with the 9mm or a .38 +P carry gun, power wise, I don't like the thought of only having 5 shots in a little snubbie.

Glocks and Single Actions!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My old training officer gave me this advice, "If it happens, then shoot like they vote in Old Chicago, early and often."

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Originally Posted by DocRocket

STOPPING can be accomplished with most any bullet, but it has to be in just the right place. Using a bigger or faster bullet or a whole bunch of bullets can sometimes compensate for them not being in just the right place.

Sometimes, but not that often. Shot placement is the key.

Yep. And I guess my thought could've been better put as: Bigger or faster bullets or a whole bunch of bullets can buy you time to make the perfect shot you need to.

If I can get two in you fast to disrupt your ooda and get you to leaking some air and blood, I can then take that split second to make the perfect shot. As opposed to waiting to make the first shot perfect and getting shot full of holes in the meantime.

Yes. I've had this discussion with men routinely on the sharp end of the spear who want to quarrel with me about my 3D anatomic visualization method, and I have to calm them down and tell them exactly this. Gunfighting isn't about being Matt Dillon. It's about getting inside your opponent's OODA loop, and the sooner the better.

Your first priority is to get the best possible quality hits you can, but they must be hits. If you can't get a killing/incapacitating hit right out of the gate, then get the hits you can and then follow up with extreme prejudice. Aggressive closure, as my SA/SF friends say.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
www.tacticalanatomy.com

Many of the websites promoting anatomic targeting use my book as a primary source. Some sites have even plagiarized word for word from my book. I'm just sayin'...

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by 45BBH
Put the bullets where they NEED to go, and don't stop shooting until the threat is neutralized. I prefer the .40 and .45 but have no issue with the 9mm or a .38 +P carry gun, power wise, I don't like the thought of only having 5 shots in a little snubbie.

First thing, most people don't know where their bullets NEED to go. "Center mass" is a useless term and needs to be discarded. At one of my courses 10+ years ago I asked each one present (28 LE instructors) to write down the definition for "center mass". I got 28 different answers. Basically, for most people it means 'somewhere in the middle'... Like the B27 target, it trains people to shoot too low. Since there is no commonly agreed-upon definition, the term is worse than useless.

My training gives people a hunter's knowledge of anatomy. Agencies that have adopted my training have seen dramatic increase in hit ratio and in successful termination of felonious aggression. One agency went from 20% hit probability to 92% pre- and post-training. In the 3 years after training they shot 37 felons with handguns, 35 of which took permanent dirt-naps.

Knowing where to shoot to stop the threat makes a huge difference.

Second thing: we used to train people "double tap,'then assess." Wrong. Now we train them to keep shooting and follow the felon to the ground.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Knowing where to shoot to stop the threat makes a huge difference.

Very true & should be quite obvious (where to shoot) to most who hunt & shoot much.

Second thing: we used to train people "double tap,'then assess." Wrong. Now we train them to keep shooting and follow the felon to the ground.

Careful, Doc, you might be violating their civil rights. laugh

MM

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
"Second thing: we used to train people "double tap,'then assess." Wrong. Now we train them to keep shooting and follow the felon to the ground."

The moron who came up with that must have been an IPSC shooter...he should have been double tapped so his teaching went no further.

Sounds like you have it all down Doc...next time I'm in Texas I hope we can get together...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Upper chest, head, lower abdomen...pretty much in that order. Although I'd vary the head/abdomen if the target was moving. Abdomen would be easier to hit, and you may get lucky and break a pelvis or hip. Much depends on what your adversary presents to you.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Kevin. I don't teach low abdomen... Lateral pelvis is a much better target area. Likewise, I don't teach "head" shots, I teach brainstem shots.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by RJM
"Second thing: we used to train people "double tap,'then assess." Wrong. Now we train them to keep shooting and follow the felon to the ground."

The moron who came up with that must have been an IPSC shooter...he should have been double tapped so his teaching went no further.

Sounds like you have it all down Doc...next time I'm in Texas I hope we can get together...

Bob

It wasn't IPSC... A LOT of LEA's trained this double tap doctrine. One LE instructor at my class in 2003 said after the class "training my officers to double tap then assess is training them to get killed."

Shooting until you finish the fight hasn't led to any lawsuits that I'm aware of. On the other hand, I know of several officers who fired 10+ shots to finish their fight and are alive because of the last shot.

One guy was asked by his supervisor why he fired 11 rounds. His response: "Sir, 10 shots were not sufficient. A 12th shot was not required."

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Sorry, but it doesn't work that way. If a center mass hit won't make for a stop, then additional hits there rarely do. You'll need to make a head, or some other nervous system hit.
This is where expanding bullets are nice to have. E

Did you read what I wrote?

No, he was too busy listening for someone to shoot...no need for night sights and all that

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Kevin. I don't teach low abdomen... Lateral pelvis is a much better target area. Likewise, I don't teach "head" shots, I teach brainstem shots.

Pelvis shots are very effective on 2 legged or 4 legged.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I would start at the belt buckle and keep rippin' while recoil and gravity took care of the rest.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Look son, being a good shot, being quick with a pistol, that don't do no harm, but it don't mean much next to being cool-headed. A man who will keep his head and not get rattled under fire, like as not, he'll kill ya. It ain't so easy to shoot a man anyhow, especially if the son-of-a-bitch is shootin' back at you"

Gene Hackman as "Little Bill Daggett" in the movie Unforgiven.

In my opinion, this sums up a great deal about a gunfight.

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 65 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,675
Posts18,513,267
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.