Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by AJD
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by geedubya
Rick

Don't believe that RHC is reloading yet.

Best,

GWB

No, not yet, but this whole thread was designed to help me pick the right Montana for when I am reloading. My original question was to determine if any caliber Montana lent it's self to better accuracy via mag box length, throat length, twist rates, and other such parameters that reloaders are knowledgeable about.

It started as 243 VS 7-08 and delved into the 223 per Boxers recommendations, and now the possibility of the 308 which fits my needs very well but I would also like something with recoil low enough that the wife and kids won't completely shun it. There is really no need for magnums or long range in my neck of the woods anyway. Shots are likely to be in wooded areas and under 100 yards , with the exception of a rare clear cut or power line 200 yard shot.

Clark - WITF makes you think the Montana will fit the wife and kids or they will want to shoot it? Just buy WTF you want. It's PDS.

The same thing could be said about any topic started here. Just buy WTF you want could be the standard answer, and we wouldn't even have to waste any time on here, so my question to you is, why are you?

I'm just talking and weighing ideas with folks who want to talk. It's really no big deal and I will buy WTF I want in the end anyway.

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
AJD,

You are even more [bleep] Stupid than I suspected and I was padding it heavily.

Laffin'!

'Clark,

You are gonna swipe her Imagination and steal her Pretend and that would be mean.

Laffin'!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Easy peasy, get a 257 Roberts. In a M70 Featherweight though. Kimber Centerfires suck!

WarDamnEagle
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
50,000,000 unemployed comedians in the world and there ain't no shortage of 'em appearing in this thread. *grin*

Clark-
There be some wise counsel in these 17 pages, if one can separate the meat from the 90 psi paunches. I look forward to the report of your own findings in due course....

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
'Clark,

I am leaning toward the 223 for all the reasons you are saying. I know you favor the Amax but what are some other good choices supposing mine doesn't want to shoot them? I would guess the 62 Barnes but what else in the world of scarce components and ammo?

Although a 22 caliber is almost never my first choice,.........

[Linked Image]

left to right, 45 gr. TSX, 53 Gr. TSX, 55 gr. Sierra Spitzer, 60 gr. Nosler Partition,

If your rifle has an 8 twist, then the 64 gr. Nosler bonded core, 68 Gr. Hornady HPBT, 69 Gr. Sierra HPBT, 70 Gr. TSX and 82 Gr. Berger.

Many others out there, and I'm sure others can/will chime in with their favorite 22 caliber projectiles. Should you have the capabilities a CNS shot would pretty much guarantee a dead animal, but used appropriately, these should work. Might have to track, but what the hey, ya pays yo' money and ya takes yo' chances.

Best,
GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I can recall no less than 3 little texas deer that took a .223 in the shoulder and it took 3-4 more hours of tracking for them to be recovered-last one was shot at dark, and we tracked him 3-400 yards in the dark-got close enough to hear him breathing but he was in stuff too thick for the flashlight to penetrate so we hunkered down for 1.5 hours before he gave up the ghost. Was lucky that time as the 8yo boy I was guiding that evening didn't get spooked or scared one bit in that thick creek bottom in the dark. That's been my experience with the .223 tsx. As I said, I have also seen my share go down fast with the .223 as well.

I have not had this issue with a well placed .243 bullet.

Now, if I was getting a gun specifically for the kiddos to shoot, 22lr/.223 would be just right for learning to shoot/having fun with. On deer size game I'd prefer a .243 the gun carried to the stand. And I bet when they are in the stand and squeeze one off at a live target they will not mention the felt recoil/muzzle blast.

Having said that, if All the kid has/brings is a .223 I certainly would not refuse them. I'd just stress hard proper shot placement, be prepared to make a f/u shot and bring extra flashlights in case there is a need for extended tracking.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
With the 1-9 you can shoot the 62 TSX! It seems to shoot thru deer for me out of a 16 inch 1-7 black gun. Biggest deer I ever shot was with a 62 TSX over tac it ran 25 yards after a shoulder shot at 40 yds.

Last edited by jimmyp; 02/26/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What bullet?

I'd be more than eager to run the 55 TTSX if I were allowed to take the .223 after deer where I live...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RH Clark,

There are no flies on either the .243 or the 7-08 as far as the cartridges go. That said, if the .223 is legal to hunt deer with in Alabama, I can see no reason to get anything other than the .223 given your parameters (short-ish range, wife and kids to use it, you don't reload, etc.).

The recoil on the .223 is nonexistent. The factory ammunition selections are incredibly broad running from cheap plinking ammunition for trigger time for the wife/kids/you all the way to super premium stuff that will take any game in Alabama you choose to hunt. When you eventually get into reloading, it's an efficient cartridge that is easy to load for and the components are readily available, inexpensive, and amazingly broad in scope.

Again, there is nothing wrong with either the .243 or the 7-08, but given that neither matches the breadth and depth to which the .223 answers the questions you would be asking of that rifle, why do anything other than the .223?

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Iggle,

That schit is funny! You trying out to become a Texan?

Laffin'!

If forced to slum a .25cal by mandate today,it'd be a Montucky 25-06.

Hint.

'gant,

Swelterin' Steaks ain't my cup of tea neither...but it do remind me of.....

THIS

G',

You don't "track" broken shoulders...because they's always right where you left 'em.

Hint.

The Texas version of everything,is [bleep] hilarious.

[Linked Image]

Bless your heart.

'dave,

Wanna see schit run? Don't break any bone.

Hint.

Funny how the bones that bear the most fruit,is the biggest,easiest to hit and has vital organs 'neath 'em to boot.

Funny how it actually works.

75HPBT(5th from far right of above frame) if only for conversation and you'll note the locale of the insertion.

[Linked Image]

Re-hint.

This schit is [bleep] funny!

'p,

62TSX Krunchenticker Buck.

[Linked Image]

You boys is gonna talk me into a 223 yet and I'll be leaving the 30-'06 behind.

Laffin'!

Jordan,

I'd happily build a 223AI and have it stamped "30-'06" on the shank,if only to [bleep] with Mall Cops' heads.(grin)

'ager,

You're gonna talk me into a 243 and 7-08.

Tough crowd.

Laffin'!

I'm patienty waiting another Treatise on the Deception Scheme,as that schit was especially [bleep] funny!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Boxer

'ager,

You're gonna talk me into a 243 and 7-08.

Somehow, I suspect that's already happened several times over before I ever even joined the conversation. Those two (and a bunch of others) work and work well. For what the OP opined, however, I can't see how the .223 doesn't fit the profile better and more squarely than the rest.

His dollars, his choice, but in the same situation my call on the matter would be simple.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jordan,

I'd happily build a 223AI and have it stamped "30-'06" on the shank,if only to [bleep] with Mall Cops' heads.(grin)

LOL, I suppose I could carry a few .30-06 cartridges in a pocket, just in case anybody asks grin

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

G',

You don't "track" broken shoulders...because they's always right where you left 'em.

B,

nor with severed vertebrae

[Linked Image]

325 WSM, 200 gr. Nosler Accubond, 165 yds.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

300 H&H, 180gr. Barnes TSX, 165 yds.

[Linked Image]

and,

[Linked Image]

"waste not, want not", or so it goes.

Best,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 02/26/14.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Cor-Bon 62 grain DPX factory $35.00/20

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
What bullet?

I'd be more than eager to run the 55 TTSX if I were allowed to take the .223 after deer where I live...

There's a handful of bullets that will kill deer reliably.

Over the years we've killed game with 64gr. Power Points, 60gr. Partitions, 53gr./55gr./62gr. TSX, 55gr. TBBC, and even the 45gr. Nosler Solid base in a lowly .22 Hornet. grin

I've never taken game with them, however, I've heard good reports on the 75gr. A-Max. If your rifle will stabilize the bullet, from all accounts it's an excellent choice.

There's also the 69gr. Scenar to consider.

Personally, if not able to utilize the A-Max bullet, my pick would be the 62gr. T/TSX

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'ager,

Mebbe I have dabbled 6mm and 284-08's.(grin)

223 by a mile.

Jordan,

Tape the muzzle and who the [bleep] would ever know?!?(grin)

G,

The best way to not waste meat,is to make schit dead and lotsa folks is in a hurry to [bleep] that up.

Meat gets shot in the ear,Booners get shoulders broke.

Pop lungs and schit's gonna RUN.

Hint.

'yp,

CorBon typically puts a little sauce on their wares to boot.

Gonna try me an X boolit some day,as I hear good thangs.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hey what ever happened to all the 25cal talk?!? One of them Bob's sounds really good.

[Linked Image]

Laffin'!

FO,

I've shot all that you mention into Venison,along with a lot more that ain't been cited...from Hornet to CHeetah.

Tough to whoop a Montucky 223,as Utility goes. It's a fabulous blend of available COAL,nice throating,S/S construction and a right proper stock,all wrapped in a handy/dandy and well balanced parcel.

Hell,I might even flog on one a bit today,myself.(grin)

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

G,

The best way to not waste meat,is to make schit dead and lotsa folks is in a hurry to [bleep] that up.

Meat gets shot in the ear,Booners get shoulders broke.

Pop lungs and schit's gonna RUN.

Hint.

Ya know B,

From time to time I get PM�s from folks who comment on how much fun you and I have on these forums. My comment to them is I consider myself fortunate to have such a friend in a far north clime as the Milford. I also tell them if it were not for you I�d prolly not get to share the joys of hunting in Texas near as much as as I do.
You often say you can't figure out whether I'm bragging or complaining. So, no brag, just fact, I�m a kill artist. I�m good at it. In fact I�m so good that the buzzards at the �Petting Zoo� ,as I refrer to my happy hunting grounds, have come to recognize my truck.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And ATV

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

When they see me coming they tell all their friends and relatives, Gdub�s here,

[Linked Image]

put on the feed bag �cause we�ll be eatin� high on the hog in just a little while

[Linked Image]

And a minor complaint.

Just between the two of us, since no one else is watchin�I might just take you to task. After all, what are friends for if they can�t admonish each other from time to time.

In the last year since I�ve been posting here regularly, I�ve probably posted pix of near 100 different critters, that when I drew, I drew blood.

Other than a few dead fish, a couple of basket horned bucks and a couple of bears the only thing I�ve seen evidence of all the stuff you kill is a lot of time and band width.

Luv to see pix and mounts of all the Turkey, grouse, ptarmigan, deer, mule deer, bear, moose, sheep, goats, elk beaver, fox, marten, wolf, lion, wolverine, badger and anything else that inhabit such places as Kansas and Alaska.

Have I been looking at the wrong threads?

I've heard it said, "no pix, it didn't happen"

Just sayin�

Your friend,

GWB

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/may2010onward/notme.jpg[/img]

Last edited by geedubya; 02/27/14.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I can't bring myself to sell my Kimber short bob yet smile I do find myself carrying the 308 Montana more often, and may wind up with a Montana in 223 as well. The stainless Ruger American compact has a 1-8 twist, which is a temptation. But who knows for $550 bucks?

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Gee, some fine photos of some nice game. Very enjoyable... You really put the hurt on those hogs.. We went to Tx. this spring and knocked off a couple young ones.. When we were cutting up the larger of the two, she was 130# dressed, I found a cup and core bullet in the shoulder!! It wasn't festered.. It had just broken the bone.. Happened to see the copper shining when I was cutting it up.. Looked like about a .243 or 25 cal.. Keep the photos coming...

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
So the consensus is in? 257 Featherweight is it?

WarDamnEagle
Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (160user, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1234, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 3,239 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,710
Posts18,534,869
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.