Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
olblue Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
For JB or others. In your opinion how does the Leupold F8 6X compact compare to the F8 6x36 or the 6x42 for that matter? I'm trying to deside on a scope for the 7x57 Mexican I'm putting togeather.Thanks in advance. Mel

The only thing I'm an expert at is my own opinion, and I have plenty of those!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
olblue;
I hope this finds you doing acceptably well this finally warm and final day of February sir.

We've got 2 of the older 6X Compact Leupold scopes, I'd have to say about 25 years old roughly and then we've also got perhaps a 5-10 year old 6x42 Leupold on another rifle.

One of the 6X Compacts was purchased new - the only Leupold in the house bought that way come to think of it and the rest were purchased used.

I've looked through a few 6x36 Leupold over the years too, but haven't owned one.

So overall I can get along OK with the 6X Compact but they have somewhat of a less forgiving eyebox than say the 6x42, a regular 2-7 or a 3-9.

Our eldest daughter runs a 2-7 Compact and it's about the same as far as being more picky where one's eye is positioned I'd say.

The 6x42 and in particular one of our 3-9's are the brightest ones we've got in terms of using available light.

I've had zero issues with any of them as far as mechanical problems, sun flare or anything else that I can recall now. I don't feel handicapped when I hunt with it and one of them is on the rifle I use at least half of our almost 3 month season now.

The 6X Compact is lightweight too, I'll give it that.
[Linked Image]

Hopefully that was some use to you sir. Good luck with your scope choice whichever way you decide and have a good weekend.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What BC30Cal said about the eyebox. I had one on a Ruger Ultra Lite in the late 80s/early 90s. I thought it fit that rifle pretty well but optically I'd take the 6x36 over it any day.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I had one like that above and found it, like the 2-7X Compact I had, not worth owning. Both lacking brightness and eyebox ease.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
olblue, for me the 6x36 is the "best" compromise.

It has a terrific FOV, excellent exit pupil (6mm... that about all most of us older guys can hope to use), an ample scope tube length which allows simple mounting on most any firearm, but it's still svelt and light (9.5 oz's)... all in all, about the finest all-around hunting scope available.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Mel,

I am by no means an expert... Merely a rifle looney and Leupold slut. To me, the asthetics is the determining factor in choosing a scope for any given rifle. I own an obscene number of Leupold scopes and amoung them are 4; Leupold 6x compacts. 3 of them with AO. These latter I consider about perfect for a .22 Hornet or .218 Bee.

THe one remaining compact is on a Rem M-Seven MS. I also own about 10-12 M8, 6x36's. These scopes get mounted on usually a long action where they fit asthetically. My 6x42's are usually mounted on full-size rifles of appropriate hunting chamberings.

I was a fan of 6x scopes long before I became a member here. Every one of the Michigan whitetails I have taken with a scope have been taken at 6x with one exception. I think either 3 or 4 were taken with 2.5x8's or one with a 4.5x14x (All Vari-XIII's) Ironically all set at 6x.

I particularlly like the 6x Cpt on lwt rifles. Eyebox and brightness is of no concern to me. As long as the rifle mounts up reasonable and I can see thru the scope. (I don't like hunting for a sight picture...)

Here in MI, shooting hours are defined as one-half hour before official Sunrise, and one-half hour after official sunset... Thus; having that last 15 min of shooting light is a moot point. In that window, I can see just fine with a 6x cpt.

I think the biggest drawback to the 6x Cpt is that due to it's short length, it loses lattitude in mounting. But, if fits, and I can see thru it, I like it just fine... smile

Hopefully the above is of some use to you... altho' YMMV...

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Compact like my FXII 6x33 M1 - fits a Short action like a glove, works fine too.

Not had a problem with any 6x for a rifle sight, never use them like binos. When I get my scopes set up, whatever the combo is, when I throw my rifle up, I am looking thru the scope.....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cliff, I always forget Leupold brought out the 6x33 for a year or two. I like their dots and its not available on the 6x33, but I agree on a SA, the 6x33 would be terrific. IIRC, it's the same body as the FX 4x33?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a 6x M8 compact on a model 7 6mm. Worked fine.

Eventually sold it as I wished I had more power while developing loads, and I used that outfit primarily as a coyote calling rifle. I had a couple of coyotes sneak in close and I missed opportunities to get a kill because I had problems locating the coyote in the scope at ten steps. Terrain aided in the coyotes escape.

I run VX3 2.5-8 now on that type of rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I run VX3 2.5-8 on pretty much every centerfire rifle.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AB2506

I doubt there is a finer all-around scope made...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
olblue;
Somehow I missed the part about the scope going onto Mexican Mauser in my first response.

In case you or anyone wants to see what a 6X compact might look like on board a run of the mill wartime 98 money pit rifle, here's a couple shots of one.

This was a relatively close shot that needed to take place in a minimum time frame - apparently it did. wink
[Linked Image]

I had at least a 3 second count to get this guy at first light. He's an older buck than his rack suggests and he saw me before I saw him - as usual. He was processing his next move, but in retrospect should have done so on the move.
[Linked Image]

Lastly this one ended up to be a much longer walk in between where I shot and where he fell than I'd thought it should be. The bullet dropped more than I'd allowed for - but it was my day and not the buck's so he died within a half dozen steps of where he stood that bright morning.
[Linked Image]

Anyway sir, there's a 6X Compact along with a 98 and some Okanagan meat bucks for your perusal on this cold March Sunday morning.

Good luck on your 7x57 project whichever way you decide and all the best to you this weekend.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Brad
Cliff, I always forget Leupold brought out the 6x33 for a year or two. I like their dots and its not available on the 6x33, but I agree on a SA, the 6x33 would be terrific. IIRC, it's the same body as the FX 4x33?

As I understand it, NO. The 6x33 is in the "compact" line, meaning it has the small ocular. It would be built on the 3-9 compact body.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AB2506

I doubt there is a finer all-around scope made...

Agreed. Would it fit on a Kimber 84L? Mounting wise. Probably, but just checking.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To mention the Leupold 3-9 Compact that I have. It just fits in the factory Brno mount that I wanted to use on my ZB Brno 21H.

The scopes small ocular just clears the bolt handle well and the small objective clears the open iron sight on the barrel.

The so called "eyebox" problem does not bother me. The scope is far superior to irons! smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
DD = Ocular is smaller on the 6x33 than 6x36 IIRC. I think for a M7, Kimber, or Forbes SA, it is a great fit...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cliff, would you mind measuring the ocular on the new FXII 6x33 scope you have? I can't find any info on it. In the photos I've seen, it looks like the standard ocular, but I've been wrong before!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Cliff, would you mind measuring the ocular on the new FXII 6x33 scope you have? I can't find any info on it. In the photos I've seen, it looks like the standard ocular, but I've been wrong before!

I'm very interested in this too. To me, the 6x33 looks identical to the 4x33

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ocular lens about 1 3/16

olblue Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for all the information and thoughts. There's been far more response than I expected. The vast range of experience and knowledge on the Fire is amazing and much appreciated. I did come by a 6x compact and it does look right on the Mexican. Time will tell how the eye box works out I have quick detachable rings so if it doesn't work out I can try something else. I have a couple 4xs and an older 2x7 on hand and thinking about it I have a few 1.5x5s all mounted but one of them just might be the ticket.
As far as the rifle goes,as stated its a Mexican Mauser, I thought it was a 1936 with the Springfield style cocking piece, but Dave at IT&D couldn't get the cocking piece to work with the Dakota Mod 70 saftey and had to change it. So it could be a 1910. He installed a Douglass FW 1 in 9 22" barrel trued the action, thinned the trigger guard, polished blued etc. I've got a pretty piece of walnut pretty well shaped and inleted, but it will a bit before it goes to the range. Again thanks for all the recommendations. I especially enjoy all of Dwayne's posts. --- Mel

The only thing I'm an expert at is my own opinion, and I have plenty of those!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 160user, 007FJ, 78 invisible), 2,394 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,151
Posts18,484,245
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.