Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My son has a small chainsaw that starts okay, but after it runs for a little while it looses power and quits. If you let it rest for a while it does the same thing again. Is there a relief valve on the gas tank? Inquiring minds want to know!

Denny

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
GB1

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Replace the gas cap.
The vent is plugged.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Either that or the rings are going out. Heats up and loses compression until it cools down.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T

What brand of saw is it?

I've had trouble with the fuel line where it goes to the carburetor not being tight enough on the barb and losing vaccum and not pulling enough fuel. Does the saw leave a spot of fuel if you leave it sitting?

Another thing,on a Stihl carb there is a small,super fine screen under the diaphragm that can get blockage...on my saw it is round,about the diameter of a pencil eraser

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
vent in cap, or fuel line degraded from ethenol blend would be my starting point

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Another possibility if it is an old saw. The pickup in the gas tank has weight to it to follow the gas when the saw is at different positions. With the new gas containing ethanol/methanol the pickup hose looses it's stiffness. It can fold back on itself and cut the fuel off.

Last edited by Gibby; 03/01/14. Reason: 3 minutes late.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by blanket
vent in cap, or fuel line degraded from ethenol blend would be my starting point

this

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
[quote=teamprairiedog]

What brand of saw is it?

I've had trouble with the fuel line where it goes to the carburetor not being tight enough on the barb and losing vaccum and not pulling enough fuel. Does the saw leave a spot of fuel if you leave it sitting?

Another thing,on a Stihl carb there is a small,super fine screen under the diaphragm that can get blockage...on

It is a Poulan (spelling) about 6 years old. It hasn't had much use.

Last edited by Whelenman; 03/02/14.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I have never seen a vented gas cap on a saw,i have seen a hose with a bronze filter coming out of the tank.I have only used one poulan and the gas line was short from the factory so it ran out of gas with about a half left.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Yep, I'd inspect the fuel lines and fuel filter in the tank first. There's also a little filter screen on the carb.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Replace all of the lines.

I had to do that on 2 of mine.

Darn new crappy gas.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by OIDabble
I have never seen a vented gas cap on a saw,i have seen a hose with a bronze filter coming out of the tank.I have only used one poulan and the gas line was short from the factory so it ran out of gas with about a half left.

You got a damn good point there, come to think of it.

blush

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by jbuck
Either that or the rings are going out. Heats up and loses compression until it cools down.

If the rings are really worn it would be hard to start but probably run a little better as it heats and the piston expands in the cold cylinder.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like it might be running rich. That works when the engine is cold/cool, but not so well after it warms up. You might check the air intake filter/screen since that being plugged might be acting somewhat like the choke. More likely, there is some gunk in the carb that prevents proper passage of air and fuel. (This sounds similar to what can happen when the saw gets some ice in it...which, of course, is an easier fix.)

Last edited by Klikitarik; 03/03/14.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Sometimes 2 strokes will act like that when the crank seals are going out. I had a boat motor that would start and run perfect until it heated up.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Also check to see the 'spark arrestor' screen isn't plug. Most any saw less than 25 or so yrs old will have one, located in the muffler. If the screen gets plugged it will give the symptoms you describe. This is an easy check.

Some are known to remove the spark arrestor the 1st thing with a new saw.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Replace the gas feed hose ,it's sucking air in and stopping the saw from running ,I'll bet it's an old saw that was laid up for years....

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
On second thought.... Trow it in the trash!!!! life is to short to [bleep] with a chainsaw that won't run. grin

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by KentuckyMountainMan
On second thought.... Trow it in the trash!!!! life is to short to [bleep] with a chainsaw that won't run. grin
I made money with people of your thinking ,finding a lawnmower ,snow blower ,chainsaw in a trash heap making it run ,then selling it.

No Harm Intended with this post..

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
In regards to ethanol blended gas ,I strongly recommend using marine grade stabil fuel stabilizer in all small engines it will save you money and lots of grief

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

681 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 1100mag, 160user, 02bfishn, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 15,369 guests, and 1,009 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,213
Posts18,543,698
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.