Print Thread
Hop To
S
Sanlen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
What is everyone's thoughts about the Winchester 45 (round barrel) compared to the Marlin (Octagon barrel)?

I have one of the last of the Winchesters. It is unfired and in the box. My thoughts were at the time of purchase to keep it for a while and possible trade it for a Marlin at some point. I have a collection of Marlins and Rugers as matched calibers sets (Rugers and Marlins for 30 Carbine through 44 mag, and then BFR's for 444 and 450 Marlins), but the Marlin 45 is that octagon barrel that I just don't like, plus the cost was much higher. Now Winchester has closed and the firearm may have much higher value if left unfired.

I was interested in everyone's opinion about this.

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I personally prefer the Marlin. I've put tons of rounds through it without a hiccup. However it's hard to tell someone to sell something that they probably won't be able to replace. And I don't think that will happen, even if Winchester, USRA, whoever brings the Winchester name back. If you like the rifle shoot it. You didn't say if it was the 92 or 94. If it's the 92 I'd for sure keep it and shoot the heck out of it. Might fine guns for sure.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 94 trapper that's been used and abused for the last 16 years. It's still a good shooter.
If I was you I'ld go ahead and enjoy that rifle. I just hope you didn't pay some of the rediculous prices that were being asked. I have my doubts normal production 94's will ever have any exceptional collector value, way to many of them circulating for that.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
S
Sanlen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
No, I got a really good deal on it just before Winchester went OOB. You might be right about the value not going in too much. I saw a rifle (94AE) in 45 Colt at a flea market the other day. It was old and beat up, and the guy wanted $235.

I am just wondering if I can get enough for a New In Box one to pay for a new Marlin.

[Linked Image]
"What will you say when God asks you 'why?'"

KJ believer
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Own both the Marlin and Winchester in .45 Colt calibers. They
are both good strong modern actions that are well made rifles
and will do anything you ask them within their design mfg.

I have a friend who wants me to sell him the Marlin because
of the octagon barrel which he really likes. I on the other hand
prefer the simplistic beauty of the Winchester with the round
barrel.

I mostly shoot the Winchester though for that very reason. It
has a more "authentic" appeal to me, real or not. The only
major disadvantage that the Winchester has in comparison to
the Marlin is that it does not disassemble into its component
parts very easily. The Marlin is designed specifically to do so
and it makes cleaning /maintenance a snap to access and do.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got a wrangler large loop and I really enjoy it.

Amazing how the used ones are going double what a new one was a few years ago. I'm so dissapointed with winchester. It's hard to imagine why they would abandon such a historically sucessful product when if anything the CAS crowd is bringing back interest in the levers. If they wanted change, they could have made a new model. Somehow it feel anti-american. What's next, will we put the liberty bell up for auction?

The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 64 invisible), 2,612 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,474
Posts18,529,511
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.