Print Thread
Hop To
I
IDK Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
Anyone have any experience using Colorado Private Ranches for a lease, specifically the High Mesa Ranch?

GB1

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I contacted them myself a few weeks ago, eventually got a brochure in the mail. Called to talk to them about maybe booking a 1st season hunt in '16, thinking if they had as much repeat customers as claimed, that I would need to book early. Was told it was kind of early to be thinking of '16. Requested list of references and was told to fill out the contact form on the website with my address and email and they would send them. That was 3 weeks ago and haven't seen anything yet...

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Bandit29
I contacted them myself a few weeks ago, eventually got a brochure in the mail. Called to talk to them about maybe booking a 1st season hunt in '16, thinking if they had as much repeat customers as claimed, that I would need to book early. Was told it was kind of early to be thinking of '16. Requested list of references and was told to fill out the contact form on the website with my address and email and they would send them. That was 3 weeks ago and haven't seen anything yet...

Based on that response, I'd look elsewhere.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Already crossed them off the list soon as I got off the phone with guy...It'll probably be a hunt with Jeanne

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Had some experience with them about 12 years ago. If you notice that nowhere on the ranch descriptions does he say how many acres are in each ranch. We hunted one of his ranches south of Yampa and was told after persistent questioning that the ranch had 1500+ acres, was adjacent to National Forest Land and we had the use of a cabin. The cabin was infested with mice, thank goodness we had brought our canvas wall tent with us. The 1500 acres turned out to be around 50 acres that was adjacent to National Forest Land. The same land that we paid (around $1,500/person back then) to hunt that the guys camped down the road hunted for free. Needless to say, we cut the hunt short and started to detour through Louisiana on the trip back home to pay Cecil a visit but thought better of it. Filed a complaint with the Colorado Outfitters Association and he finally agreed to refund our money. That did nothing to compensate us for a useless 3,600 mile round trip, time off from work and all the other expenses. Never again.

IC B2

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
We had the same type of experiance in 2009 outside of bayfield. We also had a very nice and long conversation with a CO who was watching us the whole time. After that I would have thought they would have been out of buisness. They even told us it was ok to hunt the adjacent public land even though we had private land tags. We got our money back but the trip was a big waste of our time and money overall.

I
IDK Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
Thaks for the info guys, we will steer clear of them

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I've hunted with Rocky Mountain Ranches a few times in CO and have nothing but good to say about them..

Hunted 3 different ranches and everything was as advertised. Thinking about doing it again this fall.

my .02 worth

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My son and I hunted elk on one of their ranches north of Craig, several years ago. Had a good hunt, saw lots of elk, and my son shot his first elk.
It was a late season cow hunt, very reasonable cost wise. Would do it again.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I think he is looking at Colorado Private Ranches not Rocky Mountain Ranches. I hunted with RMR myself in '05 on a late season cow hunt north of Craig. Two separate outfitters.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

105 members (35, 7887mm08, 44mc, 7x57Hunter, Algotguns, Akhutr, 5 invisible), 1,466 guests, and 923 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,417
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.