Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I posted a want to buy on another forum...NOT THIS ONE, and a person responded. I had a dialogue w/the person and got their address and phone #. Talked to the person and felt OK about the deal. Sent the MO out 2 weeks ago that was posted by USPS as received on 2/26. No returned emails or answered phone calls in the last five days. It's not a great deal of money...but $400 is enough to get pissed off about. The culprit lives in BLANDING, UTAH and I'd like to get some ideas about how I might get the individuals attention? This is a first for me. powdr

Last edited by powdr; 03/03/14.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
You got his address.....Road Trip!

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Contact the Post Office and report it, and try to get ahold of the nearest Law Enforcement Agency to the person. You at least have an address and phone number to get them started on the investigation.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
PayPal

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I may be incorrect, but because the transaction went through the post office, it becomes a federal offense. Several years ago, I purchased a fly rod on an online forum, sent payment, but did not receive rod for several weeks. As soon as I sent an email stating that it was a federal offense, seller responded and shipped rod immediately.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by powdr
I posted a want to buy on another forum...NOT THIS ONE, and a person responded. I had a dialogue w/the person and got their address and phone #. Talked to the person and felt OK about the deal. Sent the MO out 2 weeks ago that was posted by USPS as received on 2/6. No emails or answered phone calls in the last five days. It's not a great deal of money...$400 but it's enough to get pissed off about. The culprit lives in BLANDING, UTAH and I'd like to get some ideas about how I might get the individuals attention? This is a first for me. powdr
I would wait another two days, just to get to one month with no response. In the meantime, get on the internet and search out contact information for the sheriff and the county attorney. On March 7th, contact both the county sheriff and the county attorney and file a mail fraud complaint. I would also talk to your postmaster about filing a federal mail fraud complaint. One or more of those should start the process of either getting what you paid for or getting your money back.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Blanding is a small enough place that the local LE may actually show an interest. Call and explain the situation and ask them to do a welfare check at the address.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
That sounds a lot easier than disputing charges and being reimbursed immediately... No way is that worth 3� on the dollar.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Man that sucks. Sorry to hear. And yes, I'd be pissed off also.

I would try to contact whomever the money order was drawn through and cancel it or report a theft. Not sure if it will do any good, but may be worth looking into.......

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
USPS protects against lost or stolen money order. MY definition of a stolen money order is one that is cashed for an item and the item not sent....of course thats my definition and I am sure the post office has some other half assed ideas.

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Most all the above info is correct. Your first recourse is with the Post Master as this "could be" mail fraud. If it is a small community the mail delivery agent may now the receivers whereabouts circumstances right away and help resolve the issue.

If you don't get feedback within a few day's from the PO/PM then contact the local Sheriff or Police Dept (Detective division) and explain the situation and what you've done thus far.

I would not suggest sending any emails or leaving voice mail that could be considered harassing just let the law take over.

P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Look guys driving or flying to Utah from Texas just to prove a point is not an option. powdr

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This happened to me. I did all I could and some other members who were taken here received refunds. I did not. Local LE did nothing. USPS did nothing.

It's paypal for me or no deal.

Americans First!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
"Sent the MO out 2 weeks ago that was posted by USPS as received on 2/26."

Powdr,
It's only been 5 days since he received your MO. There may be some valid reason he isn't in communication, but that doesn't necessarily mean he hasn't shipped your item. I'd keep trying to contact him (or relatives in/near his town, thru white pages), but don't go overboard just yet.

Just my 2 cents.
Jerry/AK

"Smile, God loves you!"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
2/6.........

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That sucks... You must of sent it priority mail? If not, how else would you know it was recieved? Amazing how communication goes in the crapper as soon as the money shows, isn't it? Sounds like a good format for a reality show....

P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
2/26 is the correct date for them receiving the MO. Full communication till the day the MO arrived...nothing since. powdr

C
C
I personally send all my MO's certified. It cost an extra $6 but they have to sign a card to get your MO and then the USPS sends that card back to you with the receivers signature saying they got your money order or item if you're the seller. Good luck

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
To my understanding visiting with the local postmaster it is mail fraud.
What does PayPal get one over a USPS money order?
Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well it just so happens that my wife is from Blanding,UT and my inlaws live there. It's a town of 2500 people, if you wouldn't mind pming me the guys name there's a good chance I'd be able to tell you something about him!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

406 members (204guy, 1_deuce, 1badf350, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 49 invisible), 2,607 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,011
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.