Print Thread
Hop To
R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've had a Weber Summit Gold 6-burner gas grill for years. Love it. But I'm also wanting to use charcoal for some things - especially when we're camping and have friends over.

Portability is a requirement along with quality construction that lasts..

I've been researching these things for weeks now and these come up as a finalist: shop.hastybake.com

Anyone here use the Hasty-Bake units, whether full sized or compact/portable? This outfit seems to have some pretty good products and are US made, with good warranties - not that I'll ever need it. But I like the idea of the size, the heat shield, the raise/lower choice of heat box etc..

Webers, in this case, don't do it for me - nor am I interested in any kind of Egg...

Advice? Yea or nay? Other reasonable choices? Reasons?

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
GB1

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I know you said you don't want a Weber but my Weber dome grill has been killer. It has been outside for 15 years and hasn't rusted. It is easier to use and it is easy to put out flame ups. I love my Weber grill and I love the flavor of charcoal. Good luck with your grill.

R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thank you..

I used to have a standard Weber kettle grill - actually two, considering a Smokey Joe mini at one time also.. They're ok, but I'm looking for something a bit higher end and with extra features...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have one of the Charbroil American grills.

[Linked Image]

I've had it several years and really like it. I've used it for cooking meals for the family and have fed our kids x-c running team and parents severl times as well. One fearure I like is that it's wide enough to load up coals on one side to grill with direct heat, then put the meat off to the other side to finish off with indirect heat. When cooking large meals the cooking grating is 4 pieces so you can move meat to one side, remove a grate or two and add more coals for an extended bbq. It's light enough to load in the bed of the truck.

It's not a high end grill, but its served my needs well and should for several more years. A $100 I'd gladly spend again.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have two Brinkman grills both are about eight years old, always been out in the weather and are still rock solid. They are the double barrel type with a smaller barrel for indirect heat and small grilling jobs. Add lump charcoal and you are ready top go.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have the Hasty Bake full size grill. I have burned a lot of charcoal in that thing over the last ten years or so. It's been worth the cost. The firebox mechanism raise/lower mechanism works well and has continued to work despite very heavy use and high heat. Whether cooking for large groups, searing steaks, slow cooking or smoking, it has done it all. My father has one of the smaller stainless models and loves it too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Take a look at the Portable Kitchen Grill.
Cast aluminium!
My sister has been using hers for 3 years now. It's a great grill/smoker.
It'll last a lifetime.

www.pkgrills.com

Never appeal to a mans "better side", he may not have one.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I have one of the Charbroil American grills.

[Linked Image]

I've had it several years and really like it. I've used it for cooking meals for the family and have fed our kids x-c running team and parents severl times as well. One fearure I like is that it's wide enough to load up coals on one side to grill with direct heat, then put the meat off to the other side to finish off with indirect heat. When cooking large meals the cooking grating is 4 pieces so you can move meat to one side, remove a grate or two and add more coals for an extended bbq. It's light enough to load in the bed of the truck.

It's not a high end grill, but its served my needs well and should for several more years. A $100 I'd gladly spend again.

I have one of these. 8 years old and still going strong. I especially like how the belly is deep and long enough to cook with wood instead of charcoal.

But I wouldn't exactly call it portable. You could throw it in the bed of a truck and tie it down, but it doesn't break down to be smaller. And has a fairly tall profile.

Other than that, it's great. And ordering parts is cheap and easy. I didn't season the grills properly and had to replace them due to rust. The new ones come pre-seasoned, so that's likely not an issue anymore.

Last edited by pira114; 03/05/14.
R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by oklahunter
I have the Hasty Bake full size grill. I have burned a lot of charcoal in that thing over the last ten years or so. It's been worth the cost. The firebox mechanism raise/lower mechanism works well and has continued to work despite very heavy use and high heat. Whether cooking for large groups, searing steaks, slow cooking or smoking, it has done it all. My father has one of the smaller stainless models and loves it too.
Aha - a H-B user! I was hoping someone would have had experience with those. Thank you for the post.

Originally Posted by boatme99
Take a look at the Portable Kitchen Grill.
Cast aluminium!
My sister has been using hers for 3 years now. It's a great grill/smoker.
It'll last a lifetime.

www.pkgrills.com
I will do so - thank you..
Originally Posted by Scott F
I have two Brinkman grills both are about eight years old, always been out in the weather and are still rock solid. They are the double barrel type with a smaller barrel for indirect heat and small grilling jobs. Add lump charcoal and you are ready top go.
Looking for a little smaller setup - but thank you. I had forgotten about Brinkman..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I wore out my Weber charcoal about the same time my gas grill gave up- I bought a made in USA Char-Griller that has both in one unit. Menard's ran a sale on them last year and I got a much better price than what is listed in this link (which shows a pic of the one I bought). I have the rotisserie, cover, etc for it and it's worked great so far. I use both sides equally- gas when in a hurry, charcoal when I'm not. They make a whole line of stand-alone charcoal and gas grills as well. Made in Georgia.
Jim

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Char-Griller-Double-Play-Combo-Gas-and-Charcoal-Grill/22851985

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
all of those green eggs and webers are going to be outlawed by the EPA. laugh

Sam......

R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Wouldn't surprise me in the least.. laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

All the more reason to buy a good one now! Heck, I don't need one and now I might go get one

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 160user, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 3,121 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,604
Posts18,473,695
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.