Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I can tell you in this case. That's $30k that could have been used elsewhere if the @#$%^& feds hadn't brought the vermin in.

BOISE, Idaho (AP) � Idaho wildlife officials say it cost $30,000 to kill 23 wolves last month in northern Idaho.

Idaho Fish and Game announced earlier this week the money is coming from licenses the agency sells.

The agency last month said USDA Wildlife Service agents killed the wolves using a helicopter in the Lolo elk zone near the Montana border to improve elk survival in the area.

It's the sixth time the agency has taken action to kill wolves in the Lolo zone in the past four years. Forty-eight wolves have been killed in all.

The state's predator management plan calls for killing wolves when Idaho Fish and Game determines they are causing conflicts with people or domestic animals, or that they are a significant factor in declining numbers of elk or deer.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm sure locals would do it for free, if allowed.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
What ever happened to BrentD, he'd be deeply saddened by the tragic deaths of said wolves.

These wolves are very hard to get rid of, that's fact.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
We ARE allowed. We can get 5 tags a year at only $11/tag and the season is very long. However, wolves aren't coyotes. You don't just walk out and shoot them for the most part. They cover a vast area of rugged country and can be extremely hard to find. The hunters haven't been able to keep up with the population increase.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
We ARE allowed. We can get 5 tags a year at only $11/tag and the season is very long. However, wolves aren't coyotes. You don't just walk out and shoot them for the most part. They cover a vast area of rugged country and can be extremely hard to find. The hunters haven't been able to keep up with the population increase.

I don't think it's a matter of not being able to keep up. It's more of a matter of not being willing.

You don't kill a wolf for meat (at least - I don't know anybody who would), and not many people will spend the cash for taxidermy. The hides aren't especially valuable. The regs require some pretty inconvenient handling of the dead animal. And much of the season runs at the same time as traditional hunts.

Why would anyone bother to hunt wolves? We know the answer to that - but it doesn't motivate a lot of participation. If wolf hunting were more convenient for the hunter, F&G wouldn't have to spend a dime.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
bounty time ... use to be 400 $...ahh the good old days

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by cfran
What ever happened to BrentD, he'd be deeply saddened by the tragic deaths of said wolves.

These wolves are very hard to get rid of, that's fact.

Yes, it's certain to be rough on the deer and elk herds.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know of at least one guy that cost him a 70K airplane, for awhile anyway. Believe he finally got it back.

he's one of the best sheep taxidermists on the planet, and one of the best sheep hunters.

he used to keep the wolves thinned out in his moose hunting area, that I was fortunate to be able to see and have him give me the nickel tour while I was guiding one year.

hunting from airplanes is one of the most effective ways to keep wolf populations in check.

seems he carried on even after ADF&G banned it for a period of time.

I do admire and respect the guy, he's his own man.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
nothing if you just shoot them , leave them laying and don't get caught , just like getting rid of the to many hawks we have today.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
In the homesteading days in Alaska, if the homesteaders had a problem with a bear or wolf, they gut shot them. Problem solved. The critter ran off and died. They didn't have to dispose of the carcass or have a discussion with the beady eyed warden.
Cruel maybe, but effective.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
This is just the outcome of more govt. genius. �'s vacations go on, just the same.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I agree with atvalaska, if they put a bounty on them of $500 and and the same 23 wolves were killed it would have only cost them $11,500 and not $30,000, and it would have put money into the community.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Rock Chuck is right--you start huntin wolves hard and they get a whole lot harder to find and kill, even from airplanes.

You got wolves in the Rockies and the northern Great Lakes and now you are stuck with 'em and I don't care if they open the season all year and put a bounty on 'em.

Grampa wasn't as stupid as most people think--and he knew there was only one way to get rid of all the wolves. And they ain't gonna let that happen.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
What does it cost to kill wolves?

About a dollar?

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
That's funny ^^^^

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have hunted for the last 3 Octobers for wolves in the Sawtooth Valley area and have probably spent close to 10k w/out seeing a wolf yet. That could be a statement about how smart wolves are or my hunting prowess. I will try again in both Oct. and Nov. of 2014. I will probably try another area and suggestions are welcome. I do like Idaho, alot.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I elk hunted Lolo in 2009, it is a rough deal. Bad access. Thick cover.Steep terrain. This unit had formerly been the most productive elk zone in Idaho. With the reintro of wolves and a devastating winter in mid 80s it has never recovered. No one would like to see those wolves knocked back more than me. But those that think its some easy deal, just go shoot them.... you have no clue.
Those that are advocating bounty are on the right track. It will take dedicated trappers to do this job correctly and that will be damn tough

1/504 PIR
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Bad winter was mid 90s, typo by me

1/504 PIR
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FreeMe
The hides aren't especially valuable.

Might re-think that one...

http://www.hideandfur.com/inventory/7481.html

I've killed two wolves in Alaska while looking for Grizz.
I'll be the first to admit that I lucked into them.

I know one of Alaska's best wolf hunters, he has killed several hundred of them through trapping, snaring and aerial shooting.
He sent me a photo of his barn with 97 wolf hides tacked to it after the first season of aerial population reduction in his area. cool

He's one of the most knowledgeable wolf experts in the country.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
know some guys that are pretty handy at thinning out their ranks as well

but it's a dedicated effort

I've been fortunate to spend more time outdoors than the average guy by far.

I could have potentially killed 3 of them, seen 9-10 (too far away to shoot at) and the tracks and kill sites of 50 or so.

they are slippery devils

cool critters, but trapping, poisoning and aerial shooting are about the only effective methods to thin them out significantly

you could give every hunter a free tag and you'd not see many more wolves taken than are now by traditional hunting methods.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 01Foreman400, 57 invisible), 2,399 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,412
Posts18,489,030
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.