Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tzone

JFC, he said "no alaska, no Schwab , not on a dare". He doesn't like him. Why does he need to tell you why? He doesn't.

Hey, I simply tried to share a few outfitters. I know Max, he's a great outfitter, and the other, Nate Turner is a personal friend. He runs a great operation and has a stellar rep.

At this point I don't think he would be a good fit with the OP. Nate is a go-getter.

As for the stuff here, the topic became me and 'hearsay' etc. and all bets were off.

GB1

Kenneth Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
broom, have you hunted with Max?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nope, I have not.
I killed all of my sheep diy as a resident. My son is still in Fairbanks and as a resident, I hunt with him now (next of kin regs).
Bottom line...
I know fellas who have hunted with Max, and I've met the guy. He was a sponsor at the Alaska forum and as the "hunting" moderator there I read a lot about his operation, yours is the first bad comment I've seen.
He's an odd fella, more knowledge about sheep than most of us will ever dream of, quiet at times, but the consensus is the guy produces results on the sheep mountain.

If you don't mesh with the guy, no worries. We all have different standards.
I mentioned a non-res I bumped into in Anchorage with a great ram taken with Schwab last August, and well, you assumed that was the only thing I knew about the guy.

Anyone as passionate about sheep and sheep hunting as I was while living there gets to know 'who, what and where' works, resident or otherwise.

Moving on, good luck with your choice...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One last thing...

I don't personally know Kaboku68 (Thomas, I think) here, but he is probably the most knowledgeable sheep guy I've ever read from--mostly at the Alaska forum.
I've always been amazed at the wealth of info the guy has.

If he suggests a name, personally I'd be ready mentally, physically and financially to pursue it.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You've never hunted with him, yet feel qualified to categorize him as a "great outfitter",

I find that interesting,

I've personally spent close to 3 weeks in his camps, 3 years in phone calls and e-mails putting together 2 different hunts,and I'm sorry, but I just kinda smile when people tell me that they "heard" something,

Not sure what was so confusing in me wanting to hunt a different area, isn't that why we hunt? to see different mountains, different scenery? meet new people?

Regarding the "good luck on your choice", is there a non-go-getter you might recommend for me?

And just for the record, if all you offer is things you have heard, it really is called hearsay.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not biting...

Good luck.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Tell us more about the hunts you've heard about. I'm too fat to hunt a goat but I'd like to hear from someone who knows someone that hunted them.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Pretty sure the best odds on a big rams theses days is in the Northwest Territories. I sincerely hope that isn't due to the legal use of helicopters but my gut thinks it's a big part of it. I don't know any current outfitters but Kelly Hoegan is a stand up guy in every important way.Funny but I don't know of a single resident hunter though their has to have been a few in the past.It has been a mecca for guides from non Dallas sheep areas to collect a ram by working it off the pay check.
Good luck.

Last edited by tangozulu; 03/01/14.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Go to Alaska. There's no sheep here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stan Stevens, MMO. If you want to kill and nice sheep and you are in shape. May be a little more expensive than Alaska but he has the Sheep. If I go back after a dall or want a fannin I am going back with him. I went on a Dall, Caribou, Moose hunt in 2011 and was successful on all three. Great guides and equipment.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mississippi
Stan Stevens, MMO. If you want to kill and nice sheep and you are in shape. May be a little more expensive than Alaska but he has the Sheep. If I go back after a dall or want a fannin I am going back with him. I went on a Dall, Caribou, Moose hunt in 2011 and was successful on all three. Great guides and equipment.

Pics, or it didn't happen........(dare ya font).........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone
Tell us more about the hunts you've heard about. I'm too fat to hunt a goat but I'd like to hear from someone who knows someone that hunted them.

No offense but I wouldn't be so quick to judge him, he's done more than "heard about hunts" and that is an undeniable fact. I know he's hunted and killed goats too but he ain't taking the bait and I can't say I blame him.

And he's spot on about kaboku68 (thomas), when it comes to sheep hunting, Thomas is one of the first I would ask about sheep hunting in Alaska, his knowledge of sheep and sheep hunting cannot be overstated.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 160user, 1234, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 2,253 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,136
Posts18,483,966
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.