Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The difference between the various "grades" of binoculars has shrunk considerably just in the past few years, and certainly isn't 10% in optical quality from $500 to $2500 glass. And the difference is MUCH less from $1000 to $2500.

The other objection to lower priced, however, has also been ruggedness, and even that has changed.

Used is always an option, but I would definitely look at several binoculars instead of automatically spending a lot of money.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Agreed.

John,

Do you still find switch power binoculars a favorite?

If so are there any at a reasonable price? I got some Leupold 7/12 x 32mm binocs that I like. They seem to be discontinued.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The only one I've found worth it is the Leica Duovid, but haven't tested every model on the market.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Have you considered the Meopta Meostar?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The Meostars would be on my short list of best cost/ruggedness for the bucks.

John Steinbeck
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I love my 8x42 Meostar, and I've heard really good things about them in the 8x32 size the OP mentioned. If I liked 10x more I could have saved some coin by buying the Cabela's badged one.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The 10x42 HD Cabela's is a great value.

"HD" doesn't mean squat technically, but there is an easily noticeable difference between the non-HD 10x42 and the HD model.

John Steinbeck
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
the 10x42 HD meostar is a brilliant binocular. very bright and sharp. built very tough.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The Meostars would be on my short list of best cost/ruggedness for the bucks.

I don't have near the experience that MD does, but I was going to post something to this effect also, in light of my last post. After hunting with a Meopta Meostar HD for the last 4 months, I would go so far to say that there is no need for me to ever spend $2k on binos ever again. The Meopta (and Cabelas Euro for that matter) have it all IMO.....fantastic glass, fantastic build quality, a super overall package.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
centershot,

Here's my take on your original question:

Yes, the Zeiss conquest HDs are worth it. they are excellent glass and built like a tank. Everything about them(build quality, optical quality etc....) screams quality! Having said that, my opinion is based on testing a pair of 8x42 conquest HDs.

I personally own a pair of excellent German made Minox HG 8x43s and the Zeiss Conquest HDs were equal, if not better, in every respect. Doug at Cameraland has had both of these binos down as low as $750 on sale in the past. For what you described as your intended use for them I think either of these would serve you very, very well for many year to come.

I've listened for years to all these top-tier bino aficionados who say 30yrs from now you'll still be using your top-tier glass with no regrets if you spend the money to purchase them. But they themselves seem to be the ones constantly selling and upgrading their "top-tier glass" in the classifieds here on "the Campfire". Point is, top-tier with today's technology is only top-tier for 3-5 yrs before something better comes along and these same guys just can't seem to live without the new toy(no disrespect intended).

$500 buys you some very, very good glass these days. If you can stretch your budget out to $750-$800ish you can get some incredibly good glass(very close to the best of the best) that will serve you well and with a very respectable lifetime warranty to boot(Minox, Zeiss and Meopta come to mind). These are respectable companies with proven track records for building quality products and taking care of their customers.

Bottom line, get ahold of a pair of the 8x32 Zeiss Conquest HDs and try them yourself. If you like them which I'm sure you will, pay the $650ish price and enjoy the view through them and many happy days in the field. No regrets. Truth is, most of this "stuff"(high-priced outdoor gear, optics etc...)we all love to use for hunting is just STUFF and if your not careful you can spend your whole retirement savings and then some on stuff you don't really need. The best hunters and outdoorsmen I know(the guys who put meat in the freezer and big racks on the wall year after year own very little in the way of top-tier stuff. Instead they spend time afield and do their homework and it pays off.

Work hard, play hard and enjoy life,

Leftybolt

IC B3

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I have never once regretted dropping the money on Ultravids.

+1 would do it again in a heart beat, the wow factor doesn't go away.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm working with a new Leupold Mojave 8x32. I'll put up a review in a day or two. I have a bunch of mid price 8x32 binoculars on hand right now and the Mojave is a notch above them all. Leupold's MSRP is $429, but I see CLNY has them listed for $349 (unless that's a mistake). I'd put it in about the same class as the Vortex Viper HD. For a glass of its price, it has a surprisingly flat field, sharp edges and holds up much better than I expected in light limited situations with even pretty good 8x42 binoculars. So I'd put it on your short list of candidates if that is the sort of glass you are looking for.

There is not much reason to spend much above that, however I agree with a couple of posts about the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32. I'd like to see a Meopta 8x32 for long enough to wring it out, but I have not enough time with them to form much of an opinion.

As to your query about the Monarch 7...no they are not the same league as your older Nikon. In fact I had a chance for a side by side with the Monarch 7 8x42 and the Mojave, and I'll take the Mojave any day of the week.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
A hunter will be wise to spend as much as he can afford on two things, binoculars & boots. One leads to the use of the other.

I don't accept the rationalization that mid-line binoculars have gotten better, and are good enough. Improvements in materials, engineering, and manufacturing cross all lines.

Eyesight decreases with age. You will experience declines in your eyesight, particularly in low light and with focusing. If you are making an investment in optics, then consider that quality will continue to pay-off.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by osix
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I have never once regretted dropping the money on Ultravids.

+1 would do it again in a heart beat, the wow factor doesn't go away.

I feel the same about my Zeiss.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Some have reported here that Leica is not covered by warranty to other than the original purchaser.

Swarovski, has taken care of anything.

Not sure about Zeiss. The only defect I ever encountered was with a new 10x40 several years ago. My dealer replaced them. I suppose he had faith in the company.

I use a Swarovski 8x30 SLC. They may be short as it gets dark.. At my age, I have no desire to mess with a deer after dark, therefore no problem. I have counted points way before it got legal light at dawn.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
One can never go wrong with Swaro 10x42SLC. Never a disappointment and your children will enjoy when you are gone.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Starting to sound like the Zeiss Conquest HD 8X32 Demos from doug at $675 may be a bigger bargain that I first thought. Given the choice which would be your pick between the Conquest or CL ($780 demos)? This is a chunk of change to me and I really want to make the best decision, so please bear with the questions. Thanks.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My advice was:

"I don't think the big name binoculars are worth it except of course to show off. "

I have Hensoldt, and many others for hunting and the boat. The lower priced ones work just as well and I don't worry about them falling.

The Leupold's I have are durable and sharp.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I can't comment on the conquest HD or CL from personal use. You probably can't go wrong with either. If it's me, I save up a little more and get used, better glass in the $900 range.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Is the new mid priced better than the old high priced? Seems to me that there have been several innovations in the last few years that make up quite a lot of difference. Are 10yr old Swaros what these Zeiss Conquest HD's are? They are about the same price and with new you know where they have been and how they have been treated. Lots to weigh out here.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

685 members (007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 82 invisible), 2,424 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,721
Posts18,494,661
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.